Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is widely rumored to be planning a new iPad mini with a significant redesign, including a larger 8.5-inch to 9-inch display with slimmer bezels, a Touch ID power button instead of a home button, a USB-C port instead of a Lightning connector, and more.

iPad-mini-pro-feature.jpg

According to a paywalled preview of a DigiTimes report today, the sixth-generation iPad mini will also feature a mini-LED display:
BLU maker Radiant to kick off shipments for Apple mini-LED backlit devices in 3Q21
Radiant Optoelectronics will kick off shipments of its backlight units for the upcoming mini LED-backlit MacBook Pro and iPad mini later in the third quarter, with the shipments to expand in volume in the fourth quarter, according to industry sources.
The full report should be published by tomorrow with further details.

Compared to traditional LCDs, mini-LED backlighting offers benefits like higher brightness, improved contrast, and deeper blacks.

Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has previously stated that an iPad mini with a mini-LED display was in the works, but he said it would be a 7.9-inch model launching in 2020, a prediction that failed to materialize. Nevertheless, a mini-LED iPad mini certainly remains plausible as Apple expands the display technology across its product lineup, starting with the 12.9-inch iPad Pro earlier this year and the MacBook Pro likely next.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman and Debby Wu previously reported that the new iPad mini will be announced later this year, and mini-LED display-related component shipments kicking off in the third quarter of the year lends credence to that timeframe.

9to5Mac's Chance Miller recently reported that the next iPad mini will also feature the same A15 chip as the upcoming iPhone 13 lineup, and a Smart Connector for easily connecting compatible keyboards, while leaker Jon Prosser said the device will sport dramatically improved speakers and have compatibility with a new, smaller Apple Pencil.

The current iPad mini was released in March 2019 and features a 7.9-inch display, an A12 chip, and a Touch ID home button.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad Mini Will Reportedly Feature a Mini-LED Display

Realityck

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I kinda doubt this rumor because the IPad Mini uses a smaller screen so what advantage does it really gain with miniLED? Looking for maintaining battery life. Just add HDR capability please. A slightly larger screen with about the same size is something we all want also.

Last edited:
Reactions: calstanford

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I've been waiting since January when I heard the rumours that they were going to be released in March. It's been a long but wait but worthwhile. It will be a pretty awesome iPad with the larger screen (but not too large), LED display and hopefully USB-C. Everyone's needs are different but I've always preferred the Mini over the others. Pretty cool little package.

calys

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2021
insert comment about purchasing product immediately

i hope it doesn’t have severe blooming, i’m planning on upgrading ipads next summer for the back to school sale and this will be my choice if this rumor is true, if it doesn’t have much blooming, and if the other main rumors are true (a14/a15 chip, touch id, supports newer apple pencil, etc)

Tagbert

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Seems odd they would skip mini-LED in the smaller Pro only to bring it to the Mini shortly after, unless the display is going to have other trade offs (like brightness range and no ProMotion.)
Likely driven by supply constraints this year. The recent rumors are that the 11 Pro gets min-LED next year.

Reactions: ElectronGuru

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
The rumors about future ipad screen technologies make absolutely zero sense. Mini-LED for iPad mini, OLED for the Air, mini-LED for the 11 inch iPad Pro, 12,9 going to OLED in two years. Please leakers do something to give a logic to all these claims
My guess is Apple is prototyping multiple options. Next gen display tech seems very fluid ATM with nothing pulling ahead in terms of both price & performance.

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021
Bought the 12.9 Pro. Must say, not enough difference for me. The blacks are better, but it doesn’t seem any brighter than my 10.5 inch Pro from 2017.

I returned the 12.9 because the screen was not really better for my use in the real world and it was frankly too big to be portable. The 10.5/11 size is MUCH better.

appledos

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
I loved my mini, my mini 2, my mini 4, my mini 5. I would upgrade instantly for a better camera (with a flash for pity's sake) and maybe stereo speakers. Everything else about it is perfect.

edit: I just looked at my last message on MacRumors, which was from 2018, and it was wishing for a better camera and a built-in flash. The more things change I guess.

Xtir

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2021
Wished it had 5G, and a foldable and secondary display... :cool:

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
mini led has better brightness and richer blacks, which are good for a device like the mini which is marketed as an ipad ereader
The iPad mini 5th gen is already capable of 500 nits. That is similar to the larger iMac screens that do HDR without miniLED backlighting. Example
  • support for one billion colors. (missing from iPad mini)
  • 500 nits brightness
  • Wide color (P3)
  • True Tone technology
What the 6th gen iPad mini needs is some of the Ipad Pro video processing that allows HDR for the video quality to be that much better. While I correspond and read some, I actually enjoy the retina video quality on a mini a lot. I also like to see HDR on the upcoming Air also.

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
I kinda doubt this rumor because the IPad Mini uses a smaller screen so what advantage does it really gain with miniLED? Looking for maintaining battery life. Just add HDR capability please. A slightly larger screen with about the same size is something we all want also.
The mini is more likely than other iPads to be used outdoors in conjunction with drones and other photography functions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.