Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Looks confusing
That's what happens when you don't have the full set of schematic diagrams.

I'm sure it's crystal clear to Apple's iPhone Hardware Engineering team. And by now, probably crystal clear to Foxconn.

If the sixth-generation iPhone is set to debut in September, this is about the time when the device is in the PVT/ramp stage, right before steady state production. The manufacturing ramp for an iPhone launch is probably 4-6 weeks.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
It really does make you think....the number of leaks is either ridiculous, especially in the face of Tim Cook claiming a doubling down of secrecy, or the number of leaks are indicative of intentional misdirection. I personally think we are seeing the real thing, but still. Geeez. Tim is going to present this phone for the first time and everyone will just stare at it like "we know Tim".

The number of leaks has been going up in proportion to the volume of units in production. When you have to make millions of handsets you need to start sooner and have bigger supply chains - there's just nothing you can do about leaks when your process involves tens of thousands of people all over the world, especially when you're making something small and easy to hide. If Apple was making a TV that would be tricker to leak.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Crack open a "tall" one.

Still waiting for the parts from the REAL next-gen iPhone to leak. Tired of the countless fakes we've been getting for months. Fake casings, screens and cables........

Besides not sure if serious, a screen or PCB will pretty much seal the deal. The screen would be a unique size and resolution (only the Xperia play has the same size screen, but different resolution) and the PCB would be pretty obvious.

stickboy2k

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2012
Nice Pics guys!
Making fun of this obsession with the size of buttons and cables is really the only logical option.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
With Apple's huge pile of cash and their concern for secrecy, you'd be foolish not to rule out controlled disinfo. Apple also happens to be in the midst of that crazy IP trial with Samsung at this very moment--involving the iPhone. Call it conspiracy theory if you want, but it seems like reasonable speculation to me.

That said, the much more likely explanation is that these are for the new phone--simply the result of the huge build-up prior to launch.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I would never believe Apple want any of these leaks.

Why would anyone want to get up on stage in front of the work to show off their brand new flagship product, and every goes..... Oh, yeah, we're already seen it.

The last thing you want is for people to see it. You may wish to drop hints at an amazing new 10x power coming soon to get people salivating at something about to be launched.

Or ever a very stylised shot at a odd close up angle, which again, get's people talking.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It definitely has a more pleasing sound on a table than the earlier iPhones, but I leave my iPhone on vibrate-only at almost all times and I find myself missing a lot more calls with my 4S in my pocket than I did before with the harsher vibration.

Same here. Sometimes I won't notice a call till the last vibration and end up missing it. But on a table it is much nicer.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Is a a15 based dual core a6 out of the question at this point of time? Still going to be a a9 based quad a5??? Anyone know???

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I would never believe Apple want any of these leaks.

Why would anyone want to get up on stage in front of the work to show off their brand new flagship product, and every goes..... Oh, yeah, we're already seen it.

See, that's where most of you are wrong. The only people who care about these leaks are a VERY small minority. No major news outlet is reporting on these leaked parts. They only report on "some" features and when it will be announced.

The iPhone 4 leaked and we all saw it. Was it still amazing when Steve demoed it? Yup because we have never seen the Retina display or the final finished product.

When Apple shows it it'll STILL be amazing because there's so much we haven't seen/don't know.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
It definitely has a more pleasing sound on a table than the earlier iPhones, but I leave my iPhone on vibrate-only at almost all times and I find myself missing a lot more calls with my 4S in my pocket than I did before with the harsher vibration.

I have a GSM iPhone 4 and it's vibration is so much more intrusive than my friends' 4S :mad:

----------

See, that's where most of you are wrong. The only people who care about these leaks are a VERY small minority. No major news outlet is reporting on these leaked parts. They only report on "some" features and when it will be announced.

The iPhone 4 leaked and we all saw it. Was it still amazing when Steve demoed it? Yup because we have never seen the Retina display or the final finished product.

When Apple shows it it'll STILL be amazing because there's so much we haven't seen/don't know.

Apple is so prominent in the news nowadays that most major outlets report rumours/leaks of their products.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I have a GSM iPhone 4 and it's vibration is so much more intrusive than my friends' 4S :mad:

Funny, I didn't think much into it, but I find if my 4S is on vibrate while in my pocket I miss calls/notifications all the time while I didn't in the past.

FireFish

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
Very useful info

Great;

Now wtf does this do for people who like to keep their iPhone's guts inside the phone?

Who seriously gives a turd what the guts look like? :apple:

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Apple's Pitfall

Hey Apple,

If you're going to accuse Samsung of copying you, you need to be prepared for Activison to sue you for copying the main character from Pitfall for the parts in your iPhone.:)

Pitfall.jpg

denaliOnDubs

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2011
CO
Me too. I really like the motor in my 4s better than my gsm 4... The vibration is a lot better...

I actually like the way the 4S vibrates compared to earlier versions. It's not as obnoxious when sitting on a table and it vibrates.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Is a a15 based dual core a6 out of the question at this point of time?

No. It's possible. Supposedly Samsung's Exynos 5, which has an A15, went intro production last quarter. That's if their roadmap is still accurate. There hasn't been news on it in 6 months or so.

Still going to be a a9 based quad a5??? Anyone know???

It will likely be based on the A5, but a quad isn't guaranteed (and I feel is somewhat unlikely despite the rumors). The 32nm A5 from the refreshed iPad 2 is a good candidate.

It's good to keep in mind that Apple has never introduced a new SoC for an iphone model since the iPad came along. However, the inclusion of an A5X in the new iphone is unlikely due to its power, size, heat and overpowered GPU for the resolution. That's why where is some doubt.

I think they have several choices.
1) 32nm A5. Will use much less power, can overclock a bit if they want. Save power for LTE chip, larger screen (which should be leaner because of in-cell, potential IGZO), NFC.
2) 32nm quad-CPU A5. I don't think iOS stands to gain a whole lot from quad-core on the iphone. The iPad has proved there are some heavy productivity apps that could benefit, though.
3) 32nm A6 with A15 CPU and SGX 543MP2. Much faster CPU with legacy GPU. Will probably have similar power use to 45nm A5.
4) 32nm A6 with A15 CPU and "Rogue" GPU. Much faster CPU and GPU. Will probably have similar power use to 45nm A5.

I don't think Samsung's 28nm is quite ready for Apple's volume yet. Though I've seen numbers that it could save up to 20% over 32nm due to the different process. We may see it pop up in the next iPad.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

----------

Apple is so prominent in the news nowadays that most major outlets report rumours/leaks of their products.

True, but they don't show pictures of what it might look like.

And when people look up pictures of the phone, most of the time they stumble across the renders/mockups of weird phones. Not the leaked factory parts.

People still think the next phone will have a projector keyboard LOLOL.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
True, but they don't show pictures of what it might look like.

And when people look up pictures of the phone, most of the time they stumble across the renders/mockups of weird phones. Not the leaked factory parts.

People still think the next phone will have a projector keyboard LOLOL.

Point being that rumours are still mainstream information.

And most importantly, you don't want competitors knowing what kind of product you're making. I understand that sometimes a controlled leak is useful but not THIS much

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.