Next Generation iPhone Enclosure Measured at 7.6 mm Thick [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple.pro posts scans of a story that first appeared in Chinese-language newspaper Apple Daily. That publication obtained one of the many "iPhone 5" enclosures that have been available over the past few weeks and took measurements of them.

The thickness of the next generation enclosure was measured at 7.6 mm. The rest of the dimensions appear to be equivalent to circulating specifications leaked by case manufacturers in June:
One manufacturer we spoke to said that he was sure that the leaked images were accurate - so sure that he was already preparing to construct iPhone 5 cases and he'd be willing to ship replacements for free if they turned out not to be perfect. He enumerated three big changes from the old iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5:

1. The phone is much bigger, measuring 58.47 mm wide, 123.83 mm high and 7.6 mm thin. The screen is 4´´.
2. The earphone jack has been relocated to the bottom of the phone.
3. The dock connector is much smaller, similar in size to micro USB.
The iPhone 4S measures 9.3mm in depth, so a 7.6mm thin phone would represent an 18% reduction in thickness. The width of the new iPhone is expected to be about the same as the iPhone 4S, but the height will increase in order to fit a 4" diagonal screen.

Apple is expected to introduce the new iPhone at a September 12th media event.

Update: Apple Daily's online version of the article is now available with higher-quality images. Apple Daily's sister publication Sharp Daily has also published photos and a video showing their measurements of the casing.

Article Link: Next Generation iPhone Enclosure Measured at 7.6 mm Thick [Updated]

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I really hope the next iPhone is the same thickness and just has a larger battery.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
So sure..... just like the case designers were so sure the last new iPhone was going to have a tapered design.

pseudomichael

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Grains of salt all around, but none of this is surprising. Apple tends to make things thinner.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
Nope-that's still not thin enough, I'll be sticking with my Razr then-
Sad, Jobs would never approve of anything less then 5mm thin.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I really hope the next iPhone is the same thickness and just has a larger battery.
I would as well, but unfortunately some people won't be satisfied until a dramatic redesign takes place. Making it 18% thinner will hopefully appease them.

cycomiko

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
They also said last year that there would be 2 different iPhones released. Oops!
but 'they' also did not have photographs of said claims.

This year, they ahve photographs, videos and now the latest iOS6 resolution changes.

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
I am very excited for this iPhone. Although there is a lot of hate, I feel as though this will be a revolutionary phone. The design looks modern and up to date, and still has a 4/4S feel.

I will be purchasing on day one for sure.

TheStoof

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
I want to see this phone.

I've been waiting for Android to bring out a lag-free OS, and Jelly Bean is just that. I love my Nexus 7.

I have the iPhone 4S at the moment, but I'm torn between iPhone 5 and Galaxy S3 (or equivalent that comes out during xmas time). iOS5/6 feels old, and Jelly Bean is looking pretty damn...delicious.

I want Apple to impress me.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
i would accept anything but the 2 tone back! I really hope they change the 2 tone back! Its fugly!

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
1. The phone is much bigger, measuring 58.47 mm wide, 123.83 mm high and 7.6 mm thin.
Not really much bigger.

From Apple's iPhone specs page:

Height: 4.5 inches (115.2 mm)
Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)

So this rag claims that the iPhone (6th gen) is about 0.18 mm narrower and about 8.63 mm taller.
BFD.

But yeah, it would be cool if it were only 7.6mm thick.

Dannydekr

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Well, I kinda like the design. It really grew on me the more I looked at it. I think there is no doubt that this will be the new iPhone. I also believe they just call it 'iPhone' instead of iPhone 5.

4" just because it's bigger, doesn't sound like Apple. There must be a very good reason they made it bigger, especially since Steve Jobs was very involved with the iPhone 5 (according to various articles). Maybe they've added something in iOS6 that makes the extra space more usefull in a innovative way? Who knows..

What I do know is that I will buy this beauty as soon as it comes out! :cool:

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
7.6mm is impressive.

But it doesn't change the fact that this phone is too long/tall.

orangebluedevil

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2010
Interestingly this makes the iPhone (2012) volume LESS than the 4S. 12.5% less based on the external measurements. I will look into the glass thickness because of InCell to see what that does to internal volume. Roughly speaking though, looks like less room for the battery.

iPhone (2012): 58.47 x 123.83 x 7.6 mm = 55,026 Cu mm
iPhone 4S: 58.6 x 115.2 x 9.3 mm = 62,781 Cu mm