Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

064133-2_201007091757341_500.jpg

3 cm x 3 cm touch screen expected to be used in new iPod nano
AppleInsider reports that it has received information claiming that Apple's next-generation iPod nano, rumored to carry a smaller form factor and touch screen, will maintain the existing price range for the line. And despite the significant decrease in size, pricing at current iPod nano levels of $149 for 8 GB and $179 for 16 GB will leave the door open for Apple's diminutive iPod shuffle to continue to exist at its much lower price point.
Sixth-generation iPod nanos on deck for an introduction by Apple on Wednesday will reportedly be priced in-line with existing models and will not replace the company's other diminutive media player, the iPod shuffle.

Although the new nano, built around a 1.7-inch display, is expected to sport similar dimensions to the second-generation clip-on iPod shuffle, people familiar with Apple's plans say the company will continue to market its button-less iPod shuffle as an entry-level player.
In addition, the report's sources claim that while the new iPod nano will be introduced at tomorrow media event, it will not begin shipping immediately. No information on when shipments are expected to begin has been divulged.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPod Nano to Maintain Price Range, Ship Later?

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
I Highly doubt it will be a new nano... but maybe an updated version of the shuffle... seeing as the nano has a camera ability and i highly doubt Apple would scrap that, according to these leaked images... :confused:

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Will be fascinating to see if these rumors are true. I think that screen is for the Shuffle and not the Nano, we'll see I guess.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
The name they choose will determine the price, sadly.
They know this machine should be called Shuffle due to its size, but calling it Nano allow them to double the price.
For the same hardware, $100+ and calling it Shuffle the community will cry, $150 and calling it Nano the community will be in joy and think it's a deal.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Given the way Apple's pricing has been headed lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they eliminated the $59, $79, and $99 price points and kept the least expensive one at $149.

Well, perhaps that's a bit too far--but I could maybe see $99.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the new nano. Does anyone really care about the camera on the nano, anyway? I think it was just something to add to the nano to make it look fresh.

In any case, this makes a lot of sense as a nano, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I really do think Apple is trying to make everything touch-based. Literally everything. Let's see how far they take it.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
As much as I like to have one, if it is near $150 I will not get it.
It's getting too near the iPod Touch price range.
It's a Shuffle and should be priced like a Shuffle in every way.

Karvel

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
England
I still don't understand how this is a nano and not a shuffle. :confused: Where's the camera, just introduced last year?

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
8GB for $149... a screen you need a magnifying glass to see... a battery SO SMALL it will probably provide 8 or less hours of power... and no more camera (probably)??

Apple Insider is smoking crackbabies, or Apple is going stupid.

This nano gives what? No camera, lack of comfortable video, smaller screen, smaller battery, and it gives nothing more in memory. Same price. Insane.

I want to see this. What's the possible upside? Maybe 16 GB for $149? Tomorrow is too far away.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I Highly doubt it will be a new nano... but maybe an updated version of the shuffle... seeing as the nano has a camera ability and i highly doubt Apple would scrap that, according to these leaked images... :confused:

You are in denial. :D

It is the new Nano. Apple wouldn't make current Shuffle any bigger and it wouldn't be a Shuffle if it had a display.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
mark my words this product will be 4gb and be under 99bucks-and they will axe the shuffle-Apples not stupid-they know the 3rd gen shuffle didnt sell great-they need to replace it/inprov it-and this new nano is the shuffle's replacement.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I vote Nano

I believe this will be a Nano and it will be a huge hit. A tiny touch-based device will continue the public's impression of Apple as the innovation leader, and the clear leader in this area. The camera being added to the iPod touch means it is not necessary to have one in the Nano, but who knows, there is an open slot in the back of those cases...

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
The current shuffle is crap, I had the gen before it, then bought the current shuffle. After a month of trying to have it "grow on me" I sold it and am back to using the previous gen shuffle.

Less isn't always more, Steve.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
3cm is less than 1.2 inches. 1.7 inches is much larger.

I still don't understand how this is a nano and not a shuffle. :confused: Where's the camera, just introduced last year?

In the iPod Touch?

The iPod is not primarily a camera; that’s a nice extra. So moving it from one product line to another, or even eliminating it, makes good sense if that brings other benefits. Such as size! The REASON for the Nano to exist is its size.

As for why it’s not a Shuffle: the Shuffle product has no screen, and thus is primarily used in random shuffle mode.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
BTW The Slogan for this event was left blank because Apple thought they would give away to much if they left what they orginally wanted on the invite to say-"Clickwheel RIP"

Karvel

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
England

In the iPod Touch?

The iPod is not primarily a camera; that’s a nice extra. So moving it from one product line to another, or even eliminating it, makes good sense if that brings other benefits. Such as size! The REASON for the Nano to exist is its size.

As for why it’s not a Shuffle: the Shuffle product has no screen, and thus is primarily used in random shuffle mode.
The iPod nano has a video camera!

tpg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2010
Disappointing...

I think it's a shame if this is the new Nano. It looks too small to hold comfortably, and using a touch interface that small is gonna get fiddly, especially since the thing will literally slip through your fingers.

The lack of camera seems is less of a big deal to me - I wouldn't have used it anyway.

Having said that, it'll be interesting to see what Apple actually has in mind here.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Head scratcher. $149 for a 8GB music-only player in 2011 seems like an instant loser. But if this is the shuffle, not the nano, it begs the question, whether the nano is past it's prime and has no reason for existing.

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010

In the iPod Touch?

They want to push all the buyer of the past nano to ipod touches, and everyone else; joggers too-can pick up this new nano.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
Shuffle has been about being the smallest mp3 player possible. It's been a compromise - small device with limited functionality. Nano is about being the smallest real iPod with a display. That's not going to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.