Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hardmac reports that an early 2010 revision to Apple's Mac Pro may see the inclusion of Intel's forthcoming six-core "Gulftown" processor as a temporary exclusive prior to the full mass release of the processor in the second quarter of 2010.
This Xeon is an evolution of those already powering Mac Pro 2009 with some new features:

- 6 cores and 12 threads for each CPU.
- 12 MB of shared cache instead of 8 MB today.
- 32-nm engraving vs. 45 nm today.
- Power consumption of future hexacore Xeon 32 nm will be slightly lower than the one of current quad core Xeon engraved at 45 nm.
The report's source also indicates that the Mac Pro will see the addition of 10 Gbit Ethernet connectivity and support for 8 GB and 16 GB RAM modules, pushing total RAM capacity to an astounding 128 GB.

Hardmac is unsure whether use of the Gulftown processor, to be branded Intel Core i9 and be part of Intel's Xeon 5600-series, would extend to the entry-level Mac Pro model or whether Apple will continue to use lower-level quad-core processors in those machines.

It is not unusual for Apple to receive early access to Intel's latest processor for use in the Mac Pro, with the most recent instance being the current generation, which received Nehalem processors prior to them even having been announced by Intel.

Article Link: Next-Generation Mac Pro to Receive Temporary Exclusive of Six-Core 'Gulftown' Processor?

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I was really looking at the new iMac (if it goes Quad-Core with Clarksfield), but a Gulftown 6-Core Mac Pro sounds far more enticing (and far more expensive).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Those MacPro specs will make Intel's Core i9 look great! What applications will they use to demo this processing power?

4K theatrical video composition anyone? Play on how many screens? TV station in one box?

Light peak debugging?

Rocketman

Now I ask this simple question. Will they offer this in dual processor or also in quad processor? 24 cores.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Wow

That sounds amazing!
I'd love to be able to afford a mac pro and 30 inch cinema display, but the student budget won't stretch that far! :(
So looks like i'll have to wait for the new iMac which will hopefully be out soon because I want something faster to use than my PowerBook G4! :cool:

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Seems the 10GB ethernet is long past due, sort of expected this years ago on the Mac Pro line.

Especially since their ethernet vendor of choice at the time (Broadcom) had it soo long ago.

Guess this was one of the foot dragging Apple episodes.

Fwink!

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Earth
This rumor comes, of course, on the very day I finally break down and order a 2.66 refurb. It's not a bad thing, I would only crap my pants if they released something very soon that was that much better & cheaper. So no worries. :)

I wonder if these 6 core processors are backwards compatible, for some (way off in the future) upgrade?

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
Here's the thing...take a look at my sig, I've got an '08 MP and I certainly don't feel like it's even peaked yet. SL put us in a good place for developers to take advantage of the hardware for 2010 and 2011 where we'll see programs that can finally take advantage of our 4 and 8 core variants as well as our high(er) end graphics cards.

Everyone knows Apple already charges crazy premiums for RAM and while 8GB RAM sticks are out in the wild they're OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive so I can only imagine the markup Apple will slap on them. 16GB...I didn't know they were out there yet.

I guess while all this is very interesting and certainly nothing here is really new, such gratuitous hardware specs seem pointless until there's something that can take advantage of the current gen or even the rev prior's hardware architecture.

matthew.russo

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Australia
This new mac pro sounds as exciting as urinating in public :)

But seriously, that will definitely have some punch... Pro workstations like this are just blazing awesome!

jhead

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Sounds like a bundle of serious grundle of fun ... would a bonus if the majority of non-apple apps would start utilizing this audacious capacity.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
If this becomes true, including the RAM it will be my next purchase. I'm hoping the SLI option is in there for x16 on 2 GPU cards and thus have one beast for OpenCL coding.

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
I'm so glad that I hold off on buying other Mac Pro, time to clean off the old 2008 3.2GHz 8-Core and put it up for sale before these new Mac Pro arrive, been putting away cash every month sense I bought my current Mac Pro back in February of 2008 and i got $7,600 saved but some of that will goto my Apple's LED 30 inch when ever that may be but for now i'm going to keep on saving up until these new Mac Pro are released and sale my current Mac Pro can't wait.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Those MacPro specs will make Intel's Core i9 look great! What applications will they use to demo this processing power?

4K theatrical video composition anyone? Play on how many screens? TV station in one box?

Light peak debugging?

Rocketman

Now I ask this simple question. Will they offer this in dual processor or also in quad processor? 24 cores.

I think it's a 6-core processor so if you had dual 6-core it would be 12 cores.

The current one is dual quad core. 8 cores in all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.