Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I usually keep my Macs for a decade or longer and there's nothing wrong with my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 16.

Exactly. It's just that Apple in particular has a habit of immediately forgetting that the prior model existed. It will still work fine and get support for years I'm sure. But we know how Apple then likes to start artificially limiting software features to newer versions. Probably won't be as severe with the Mac as it is with the iPhone though.

The big memory hole dump was all the Intel models. Apple dropped those things like a ton of bricks the second the first M1 Macs came out.

Reactions: gusmula and Pezimak

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Nah, you’re not alone.
I like it. I find it stylish, and in Affinity Photo it’s quite useful. To me it also just feels nice to use.

I like the idea of it, just not enough to actually buy a Mac that has one. Especially since it's now only available on the worst value Mac there is.

If the current 14" and 16" models came with it as an option, I wonder how many people would choose it. Especially if it came at a price premium.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The vast majority of people aren’t upgrading every year. Timely updates are useful for people like me, who just had to buy a 15th month old laptop because my old one broke.

It seems like Apple takes a bit of the game console strategy of counting on the cost to produce the hardware decreasing over time, while still selling it for the same price.

I learned my lesson the hard way that the only time Apple hardware is worth even close to what they're selling it for is within the first few months of release. Apple's own trade in values will back that up. They seem to pretty consistently lower trade-in values at the 3 month point after release.

evertjr

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2016
The comment sections has been so hostile lately, it's depressing. Not long ago Apple literally turned the PC market upside down with M1 and the competition still hasn't caught up. Where's the Dell high performant fanless laptop with all day battery life? Where's Lenovo's thin and silent laptop with desktop level performance and all day battery life? Mac Studio literally fits under the monitor and smokes most high end PCs in anything other than gaming.

Apple is not feeling any pressure because all the competition is doing is telling empty promises and delivering more and more power hungry processos as if the world had endless resources. AMD fanboys needs to disappear from here.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The comment sections has been so hostile lately, it's depressing. Not long ago Apple literally turned the PC market upside down with M1 and the competition still hasn't caught up. Where's the Dell high performant fanless laptop with all day battery life? Where's Lenovo's thin and silent laptop with desktop level performance and all day battery life? Mac Studio literally fits under the monitor and smokes most high end PCs in anything other than gaming.

Apple is not feeling any pressure because all the competition is doing is telling empty promises and delivering more and more power hungry processos as if the world had endless resources. AMD fanboys needs to disappear from here.
People expect macs to compete with 1,000 watt systems with an i9 and a 4090.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple's next-generation 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with M2 Pro and M2 Max chips were slated to hit the market in "early 2023," but the laptops are now expected to be "delayed once again," according to Taiwanese publication DigiTimes.
If you repeat the same rumor numerous times that doesn’t make it more likely. This has reached cry wolf status, it’s even questionable it happens at 18 months.

itsboi

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015

This forum is a cesspool of obsessive Apple haters who set themselves up reading baseless rumors on the daily and take out their frustrations here when they don't end up happening. They expect a perfect world where supply chain issues, the pandemic, laws and regulations affecting big corp, a recession, and tensions in China doesn't exist.

Reactions: raybo

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
What is everyone in such a hurry for? Are you all holding onto production and design projects you can’t get done fast enough on the current lineup? My M1 Pro still blows my mind with performance every time I use it. I swear people just like to see bigger numbers for very little reason.

I mean really, THIS.

I don't know why everyone is so excited about M2 Pro/Max when M1 Pro/Max are blazingly fast for most use cases. Who is crushing the M1Pro/Max to the extent that a 20-30% boost would make a difference to their lives? Of those, who needs that power on the go vs. getting an M1 Ultra? Why is everyone screaming for more power??

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
This last release was a major disaster for the iPhone and watch.
How much of that is because Mac Rumors pundits were right about the designs, and how much is simply because we're moving from a period in which consumers bought a ton of tech for working from home or keeping themselves amused during lockdown, into a period where people's wallets are being clobbered by the increasing cost of living (not to mention the credit bills notched up during the pandemic)?

I get the impression that a lot of tech companies had a windfall during the pandemic and are now acting all surprised when sales drop back to normal levels (if not below).

Also, Apple's plans almost certainly got badly disrupted by recent history - we don't know the details because Apple are not known for washing their dirty laundry in public.

Not long ago Apple literally turned the PC market upside down with M1 and the competition still hasn't caught up.
Yes, but what have they done for us in the last 6 months? :)

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
It was originally my assumption when Apple switched to their own silicon that their release cadence would ramp up dramatically. I think we all thought it would. And at the beginning, it did. However, things have seemingly slowed to a crawl since Apple completed their M1 rollout. What’s going on?

Edit - I’m going to eat my words a little. Maybe it just feels longer than it has actually been. M1 to M2 was about a year and a half-ish. The M1 Pro/Max to M2 Pro/Max will have been a year and a half-ish. That’s not too bad. Apple has got to stay competitive in performance though. AMD is bringing the heat!
I'm sure the transition and the releases would have been better if we didn't have COVID and all the lockdowns in China. China is a mess with COVID at the moment and lifting the lockdown, is just going to make it worse.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
How much of that is because Mac Rumors pundits were right about the designs, and how much is simply because we're moving from a period in which consumers bought a ton of tech for working from home or keeping themselves amused during lockdown, into a period where people's wallets are being clobbered by the increasing cost of living (not to mention the credit bills notched up during the pandemic)?

I get the impression that a lot of tech companies had a windfall during the pandemic and are now acting all surprised when sales drop back to normal levels (if not below).

Also, Apple's plans almost certainly got badly disrupted by recent history - we don't know the details because Apple are not known for washing their dirty laundry in public.

Yes, but what have they done for us in the last 6 months? :)
It wasn’t the design. There were massive bugs and issues. Camera issue is the biggest one. 5 minute test from Apple would have caught it.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007

Agree - and the expectation is a bit silly because M2Pro/Max will be a 20-30% spec. bump. Apple has clearly stated that they are moving the ball in the direction of performance/watt and not overall performance. They are focusing on portable systems that are powerful, quiet, and deliver decent battery life.

They are not looking to outbench the latest mega-monster gaming rig.

Billy_Bob

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2022
When he took over after Steve Jobs' death, Tim Cook was lauded as a supply-chain genius. In retrospect, it sure looks like he got lucky riding favorable economic waves.

Reactions: Pezimak

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
And still studio ultra does compete.

I have an i9 with a 4090 and a mac studio Ultra - in most situations, I use the Studio.
It is only in GPU rendering and some 3D apps where the PC is much better. Some of this is due to software optimisation only.

The PC is loud whereas the studio silent.
Also a huge amount of heat is produced by the PC when rendering.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
And still studio ultra does compete.

I have an i9 with a 4090 and a mac studio Ultra - in most situations, I use the Studio.
It is only in GPU rendering and some 3D apps where the PC is much better. Some of this is due to software optimisation only.

The PC is loud whereas the studio silent.
Also a huge amount of heat is produced by the PC when rendering.
Yep I agree. I don’t have a 40 series but I do have a 3080 Ti. And even my 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max does a better job at some things. But people cling to benchmark numbers and even if Intel is 1 point higher Apple is doomed.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Not looking good for the Mini Pro let alone a Mac Studio refresh.

Apple always takes about twice as long as expected based on in the know rumors and three or four times as long as the average tech person's wishful thinking.
What is a Studio if not a Mini Pro?

Reactions: richinaus

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Yep I agree. I don’t have a 40 series but I do have a 3080 Ti. And even my 16” MacBook Pro M1 Max does a better job at some things. But people cling to benchmark numbers and even if Intel is 1 point higher Apple is doomed.
Should have said I use a 14" max too. I am more impressed with the laptop than the Studio, given the size. Very impressive.

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Why do people who own M1 Macs feel the need to chime in every time and say we don't need any further hardware upgrades? The upgrades aren't targeted at you, it's for the people who have ~5 year old machines and want the latest and greatest so they have the longest support and keep up with demanding tasks in the future. They don't want to buy old machines that have been on the market for over a year with no changes or price drops.

transphasic

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
As someone who chose not to wait based upon Apple store staff who said the M2s would be an incremental improvement - not a monumental one - and purchased my 14MBP for a MASSIVE discount sale in late October, I am beginning to look like a genius.

It just proves to me that one should buy what they need, and stop worrying about factors outside your control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.