Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, DigiTimes claimed that the upcoming iPad mini will feature a mini-LED display, but now, display analyst Ross Young is going at odds with that report, claiming that while the updated iPad mini continues to be on track for a release this year, it won't feature a mini-LED display.

iPad-mini-pro-feature.jpg

Young says he "confirmed" with Radiant Opto-Electronics, who DigiTimes claims would provide Apple with the display, that the upcoming iPad mini will not feature a mini-LED display. It's important to note that suppliers are tight-lipped about specific details about their client's work, especially suppliers working for Apple.

Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously stated that an updated iPad mini with a mini-LED display would launch in 2020, but likely due to the global health crisis and delays in production, that failed to materialize. The ‌iPad mini‌ rumor cycle has been rather cloudy, but some claims have pointed to a significant redesign featuring no home button, a Touch ID sensor embedded into the power button, a USB-C port, and a larger display.

Rumors are also conflicting on whether the upcoming iPad mini will feature Apple's current flagship A14 chip, included in the latest iPad Air and iPhone 12, or whether the iPad will use the A15 chip, destined for the upcoming iPhone 13. Rumors have also suggested that a "Pro" model of the iPad mini is also in the works; however, that doesn't seem to be likely.

Article Link: Next iPad Mini Won't Feature Mini-LED Display, Claims Display Analyst

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

dantracht

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2013
The form factor appeals to me, whether it has mini led or not does not interest me in the least. Kinda thought that was a stretch anyway.

Sounding like, as it stands now, this will be like a mini iPad air 4 of sorts with the same display tech.

In other words, none of these analysts, leakers, or youtube talking heads know anything and are just guessing.

They know about as much as my cat Sophie does about this. Welcome to the dog days of summer leaks!

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
In other words, none of these analysts, leakers, or youtube talking heads know anything and are just guessing.

They know about as much as my cat Sophie does about this. Welcome to the dog days of summer leaks!
Seems Digitimes is one of the worst. I skip it whenever I see it's from them. Sometimes I do read it just to prove later I was right. ;);) I do like Mark Gurman though.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
My assumption is that it will end up being a smaller version of the iPad Air. But let's see - hopefully not too long until we (finally) leave the rumor stage.
That’s what I think. Same specs as the Air but smaller. Probably price increase to 499 like the Air redesign got a 100 increase. Either gets A14 like the Air or it gets A15 and Air is updated alongside it with the A15 also.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
MacGUESSES strikes again... :rolleyes: :confused: o_O

Once upon a time journalists would actually verify their sources, but now they just post every rumor and hope something comes out correct every once in a while. :( All they are doing is feeding the YouTube guessers....

DesignTime

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2021
Of course they won't have a mini-LED screen. Apple needs a feature for the next iPad mini after this one. Got keep the innovation going model after model. Tim's 5-10 product plan has already been laid out with minor changes to the current product lineup so they can keep their 1-2 year upgrade cycles going.

Reactions: ejin222

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
My assumption is that it will end up being a smaller version of the iPad Air. But let's see - hopefully not too long until we (finally) leave the rumor stage.
That wouldn't be an assumption. That's pretty spot on.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Given iPad Air will be using OLED, I don't see how iPad mini would get mini LED.

Mini LED costs more than OLED so the numbers don't work out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.