Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is developing a new iPad Pro that will feature wireless charging capabilities, reports Bloomberg. The upcoming iPad Pro will debut in 2022, following the updated M1 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that launched in May 2021.

iPad-Pro-USB-C-Feature-Purple-Cyan-1.jpg

For the new iPad Pro, Apple is testing a glass back instead of an aluminum enclosure, which would allow for the wireless charging capabilities. Apple first implemented wireless charging with the glass-backed iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X in 2017, and every flagship iPhone since then has supported wireless charging.

Current iPads still charge over USB-C or Lightning, but enabling wireless charging would bring the iPhone and iPad closer in functionality. Work on the new iPad Pro is still in the early stages, and Bloomberg warns that Apple's plans could change or be canceled before next year.

Most wireless chargers are sized for the iPhone, so a wireless charging feature for the iPad might require specialized charging options, but Apple is rumored to be planning to use MagSafe if it does indeed opt for wireless charging for the iPad Pro. Wireless charging will likely be slower than charging through the USB-C/Thunderbolt port, which is expected.

Apple is also working on reverse wireless charging for the new iPad Pro, which would allow users to charge their iPhones, AirPods, and other accessories by laying them on the back of the iPad. There were rumors that the iPhone 11 would feature bilateral wireless charging, but it didn't ultimately happen. Bloomberg says that Apple did indeed explore the feature for the iPhone, however.

Along with MagSafe charging for the iPad and reverse wireless charging capabilities, Apple is still working on a future wireless charging solution that works similarly to the abandoned AirPower charger, but it's not clear if and when such a product might launch. For further in the future, Apple is investigating long-range wireless charging methods that work at greater distances than a standard inductive charging solution.

Article Link: Next iPad Pro to Feature Both Wireless Charging and Reverse Wireless Charging Capabilities

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
OLED, wireless charging, what next, 8 TB of storage? I am going to squeeze as much life out of my 2017 iPad Pro, by 2023 which is when I am looking to upgrade, it should be a worthy one.

• Disagree
Reactions: dominiongamma

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
“Work on the new ‌iPad Pro‌ is still in the early stages, and Bloomberg warns that Apple's plans could change or be canceled before next year.”

Haha they will be right either way.

“The iPad may have wireless charging, or may be not, or yes but they cancelled, lol”

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
cmon man I literally just bought the new iPad Pro 11
Don’t fret. You got a great iPad that will have problem giving you at least 4 years of useful life (possibly more). By the time you’re ready to upgrade again you’ll have all the features you probably want.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
“Work on the new ‌iPad Pro‌ is still in the early stages, and Bloomberg warns that Apple's plans could change or be canceled before next year.”

Haha they will be right either way.

“The iPad may have wireless charging, or may be not, or yes but they cancelled, lol”

People actually get paid to write that rubbish, it is laughable.

Apple will have a very, very clear roadmap as to what changes will be available and for when, at least for the next 2-3yrs. They aren't guessing at these developments, seeing if stuff works then release next year.

Whatever they are in "the early stages of", we won't see for at least 3 years, assuming it does stick.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Glass doesn't sound good on the iPad Pro. Maybe if they only use it in the Apple logo for charging passthrough. Glass is heavier, thicker, and easier to break—and all of those things are especially true when you massively increase the surface area like on an iPad Pro. I have no desire to have wireless charging on my iPad, especially because the Thunderbolt port isn't going anywhere due to the nature of the device.

Reverse charging sounds neat but I wonder how many people will actually use it. I think reverse charging on the iPhone, which is already glass, for the AirPods or Apple Watch seems a lot more useful. I'm more likely to run low on charge if I'm traveling and the iPhone comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable so you can just plug that into your iPad Pro to charge. I feel like a lot of people don't realize that.

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
I found out these iPads put out more RF Radiation than sitting at your iMac all day.
Macbook = 800
AirPort Extreme =600
iMac = 400
iPad = 500
Mac mini =200.

For people with Cancer or not wanting to get Cancer this is bad.

Some Day you'll care. when Cancer hits you.

I;m going with the Mac mini when the M1x model comes out.

Serban55

Suspended
Oct 18, 2020
I found out these iPads put out more RF Radiation than sitting at your iMac all day.
Macbook = 800
AirPort Extreme =600
iMac = 400
iPad = 500
Mac mini =200.

For people with Cancer or not wanting to get Cancer this is bad.

Some Day you'll care. when Cancer hits you.

I;m going with the Mac mini when the M1x model comes out.

live your life, a lot of things can kill you slowly or quickly

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Not that fussed about adding wireless charging to the iPad itself. It’s just too big for the pads anyways.
But reverse charging though sounds very interesting. Could mean you just need to bring a charger for the iPad and then have it charge your iPhone and so on.

I@beck

macrumors member
May 23, 2021
Wireless charging for ipad?? I am expecting a giant charger putting on my desk.. hahaha…
but i am curious about the reverse charging capability on ipad to charge my iPhone or Airpods. I can simply put those on top of Ipad and get charged.. sound cools.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
If you have multiple devices which can provide charge to eachother, how do they decide which device charges which other device? Or do they all try to top up eachother?

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Apple could use aerospace aluminum glass for the back for wireless charging.

Or they could put it in the magic keyboard case. Which would be my preferred method if they can efficiently have the wireless charging coil hidden in the magic keyboard case and power it thru the smart connector

Reactions: mazz0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.