Next iPhone Said to Have Even Better IP68-Rated Water Resistance

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's next-generation iPhone will feature IP68-rated water resistance, which would be an improvement over the IP67-certified iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, according to The Korea Herald. Samsung's Galaxy S7 is IP68 certified, and the Galaxy S8 is naturally rumored to be as well.

[​IMG]

In the IP68 rating, the "6" means the next iPhone would remain effectively dustproof, with "no ingress of dust" and "complete protection against contact," while the "8" means the device will be even more water resistant. The Galaxy S7 is able to withstand 1.5 meters of water for up to 30 minutes.

For comparison, IP67-rated devices like the iPhone 7 offer the same protection against dust but only have water damage protection against immersion between 15 centimeters and 1 meter by definition. However, while keeping your device dry is best, tests have shown the iPhone 7 is typically more water resistant than advertised.

Apple describes the iPhone 7 as "splash and water resistant," but its fine print warns that "splash, water, and dust resistance are not permanent conditions and resistance might decrease as a result of normal wear." Despite having an IP67 rating, liquid damage is still not covered under Apple's warranty.

Article Link: Next iPhone Said to Have Even Better IP68-Rated Water Resistance

2. DaPizzaMan macrumors regular

This whole "water resistance" is meaningless if Apple will not stand by their product and replace it because of water damage, in my opinion. Until they do that, I won't be testing out the water resistance.

3. johnrlaporta macrumors newbie

Add this to the list of features I simply could not care about. Everything with Apple products these days are gimmicks, not advancements.

4. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

No company replaces their water resistant devices if customers device messes up from water. Itll never happen, Samsung doesnt do it, no one does..

5. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

IP68 rating is a gimmick to you? Its a improvement over the IP67 rating in the 7

6. Labeno macrumors regular

Labeno

With all of Apple's money, should this have happened years ago.

7. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Water resistance is meaningful exactly to diminish the incidence of water accidents.

8. DaPizzaMan macrumors regular

Then the whole advertisement of using it in the rain is potentially harmful and lying, is it not? It may not protect the phone in such an environment.

9. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Water resistance is hardly a feature when it's not covered under warranty. Not worth advertising water resistance and annoying customers who's phones fail due to water ingress and they only find out that the warranty is voided when taking the phone in for service.

10. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Water resistance is nice -- especially when you have a toddler in your house. However I still want a 4" phone and won't buy another larger than 4" phone. Update the iPhone SE, Apple! Make that part of your "next iPhone" lineup.

11. Mefisto macrumors 6502

Mefisto

Does Samsung, or rather which manufacturers do cover water damage in their warranty? Not trying to stir ****, am just interested.

If the answer is all but Apple, that will suffice as an answer.

12. npmacuser5 macrumors 6502a

npmacuser5

Define water resistance use. For me, accidental drop in water, with as quick a retrieval as possible with no damage. Swimming, underwater photography, or other water related activities are not why I purchased the iPhone.

13. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Water resistance is a gimmick if it's not covered by warranty and bordering on fraud if warranty disclaimer isn't made clear alongside the water resistance claim.

14. I7guy macrumors G4

15. johnrlaporta macrumors newbie

I've never needed any sort of waterproofing personally. While it may be of use to some, waterproofing itself on a phone is more of a gimmick in my mind...just the same as the crazy obsession of thinness over battery life or real features. The amount of time and manpower they spend on this could be redirected to something more useful...say...new Macs???

16. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Steve would have had nothing less than IP-69...

(sorry, it's been a while since I saw one of the "Steve would have..." posts.

17. citysnaps macrumors 68020

18. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Well, it's not like there are 3 people working at Apple, and the iPhone guy has to make a choice between helping the iMac girl or the Watch guy, and he just stayed home and worked on making the iPhone more waterproofer.

19. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

It's water resistance, not idiot proof.

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Your argument is nonsense. Water resistance is improving. Water damage becomes less likely. Things what would have created water damage two years ago will not create water damage now. But _if_ there is water damage, it's because there was more water than the phone could handle, so it's your fault.

21. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

When they do that to the iPad, I'll get two of them and use them as entertainment paddles to use while swimming laps.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think the problem with your idea is how would Apple know if your phone's innards got wet from rain or from your scuba diving in 100 feet of water?

23. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

I also heard the iPhone 8 will be even faster and more powerful (better camera too!)

Shocking details soon...

24. falainber macrumors 6502

falainber

Does it mean that they will get rid of the lightning port now?