Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Here's a microscopic image of the screen compared to current gene screen and nexus!

All you doubters may have to eat your words (and there are a bunch of you...that digitimes thread was filled with people claiming that they were going to use 720x480...that's just ridiculous)

Apple is officially going to have the illest display on phones...doesn't get any better than 330ppi...I am so stoked about this screen..(in case you couldn't tell)..

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/29/iphone-4g-put-under-a-microscope-960-x-640-looks-like-a-lock/

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Mirror link to ther original source (translated) with pics and stuff.

Cant wait to see this new screen in action!!!!!!

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Very nice,

If they keep the screen size the same(and I hope they do) I doubt they'll ever need to increase the resolution again.

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003
Mirror...

I mirrored the original site since engadget only has one of the shots mirrored and it wasn't loading very quickly here... took a solid 20mins to load!

Mirror, with all the original images and content here: http://appleguru.org/iphone4grez/

Seems like pretty solid evidence, provided they actually have the unit on hand as they say they do... Should be interesting for developers!

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
Lol...I meant to post the mirror in my second post in this thread...but as you can see, i forgot...haha

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
We pretty much knew this was gonna happen when Gruber said so but nice to see more evidence. And don't worry, the people who were doubting before will now come in and say it doesn't matter when the screen size remains the same.

Of course they'll totally ignore all they need to read to educate themselves here: http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/why_960_by_640

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Awesome! I was hoping this would be the resolution for the new iPhone. It will be amazing!!!

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
We pretty much knew this was gonna happen when Gruber said so but nice to see more evidence. And don't worry, the people who were doubting before will now come in and say it doesn't matter when the screen size remains the same.

Of course they'll totally ignore all they need to read to educate themselves here: http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/why_960_by_640

Yeah...i posted that link during similar discussion about resolution in another thread last week....and of course they just continued to argue that it wouldn't have this screen..because it either didn't exist, or they figured 720x480 made more sense (which it obviously doesn't...which they would know if they read grubers article..).

Can't freaking wait to get this new iPhone!!!

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
This is ****ing dumb and a waste of resources. The screen is so damn small and having a resolution that high doesn't make it look better then any of the competitors screens. Even if the screen was the size of an HD2 or Evo you still wouldn't see the difference because the screens are just to small.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK
This is ****ing dumb and a waste of resources. The screen is so damn small and having a resolution that high doesn't make it look better then any of the competitors screens. Even if the screen was the size of an HD2 or Evo you still wouldn't see the difference because the screens are just to small.

I'd suggest reading the linked article by John Gruber.

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008

lol it didn't take long. READ.

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009

Lol...seriously, you have just proven the exact point made earlier in this same thread! Read grubers article posted a few posts up!

The higher resolution is primarily to render text that rivals the clarity of printed magazines/books. The higher resolution will make redwing text on the iPhone much much easier....the difference will easily be noticed by anyone with decent vision.

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I bet Apollo 13 is the kind of person who would come complaining if the new iPhone had the same resolution as the previous versions. :p

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I can't even imagine how sharp 960x640 would look on the current iPhone screen. Can't wait to see it shown off, June 7th seems like an eternity away.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
I bet Apollo 13 is the kind of person who would come complaining if the new iPhone had the same resolution as the previous versions. :p

NO...the point is they could use the same res as the new phones that are coming out now and keep the phone cheaper, because I guarantee we won't see a difference in text compared to a Nexes one. Yes you'll see the difference compared to a 3GS. It's all marketing crap to brag about and to hike up the price. Screen is just to small. Next year they'll release a bigger phone with the same resolution mark my words

NorrisKillsKids

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
NO...the point is they could use the same res as the new phones that are coming out now and keep the phone cheaper, because I guarantee we won't see a difference in text compared to a Nexes one. Yes you'll see the difference compared to a 3GS. It's all marketing crap to brag about and to hike up the price. Screen is just to small.

You will see the difference, for one. And two, the iPhone screen won't be invisible outdoors like the competition.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
NO...the point is they could use the same res as the new phones that are coming out now and keep the phone cheaper, because I guarantee we won't see a difference in text compared to a Nexes one. Yes you'll see the difference compared to a 3GS. It's all marketing crap to brag about and to hike up the price. Screen is just to small.

Or they can upgrade the screen. Why keep it the same when technology is moving forward faster and faster. It's not going to hike up the price. I'm excited for this. The once thought iPhone display was crisp, is now about to get crisper. :)

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
I can't even imagine how sharp 960x640 would look on the current iPhone screen. Can't wait to see it shown off, June 7th seems like an eternity away.

Seriously...this next week is going to cccrrraaawwwwwwllllll....I'm so impatient... Ever since about 3 weeks after getting the 3GS (at launch) I
Have been looking forward to the next iPhone. The MOST important thing to me on a smartphone is the screen, after having the 3G and 3GS..I eventually wanted to try something with higher resolution to i bought a nexus one. The oled was pretty cool at first, but the build quality on that thing is horrible, my nexus now has tons of dust under the screen and that makes the oled even harder to see outside. Also, the colors of oled is so unrealistic and the weird sub pixel layout makes the higher res of the nexus not seem that much sharper for text and line art. I was expecting a much sharper screen on the nexus after looking at the droids screen in stores.
I have been drooling over the droids screen since it first came out...and now the new iPhone will apparently blow that out of the water.
On a side note...the horrible touchscreen and other inferior user experience issues on the nexus have brought me back to my jail broken iPhone 3GS for daily use. I should probably try to sell the nexus...even with froyo and flash it doesn't quite compare to my iPhone.
/ramblings

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Next iPhone Screen Resolution Confirmed at 960x640

160325-novyiphone_500.jpg

The next iPhone screen has been confirmed to be at running at a resolution of 960x640, according to SuperPhone.cz (via Engadget). The site claims to have obtained a next generation iPhone screen (parts have been floating around) and magnified it under a microscope.

From this procedure, they were able to count the RGB elements of the screen and found it to be exactly twice the density in both horizontal and vertical directions compared to the current iPhone. This would quadruple the total number of pixels and increase the resolution from the current 480x320 to 960x640. This would increase the pixel density to a whopping 320dpi -- higher than any other device on the market.

Rumors of this high resolution display were first reported back in March. The big advantage of exactly doubling the vertical and horizontal resolution of the iPhone's screen is that backward compatibility with existing apps would be trivial to implement. A similar pixel-doubling system is already in place for running iPhone applications on the iPad.

Article Link: Next iPhone Screen Resolution Confirmed at 960x640

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Or they can upgrade the screen. Why keep it the same when technology is moving forward faster and faster. It's not going to hike up the price. I'm excited for this. The once thought iPhone display was crisp, is now about to get crisper. :)

It's almost like buying a 1080p HDTV that is 19in and expecting to see the difference from 1080p and 720p even while just looking at text.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Is there anything we *aren't* gonna know about the next iPhone?! :(
I don't wanna know in advance. I like surprises! :)

hefeglass

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2009
NO...the point is they could use the same res as the new phones that are coming out now and keep the phone cheaper, because I guarantee we won't see a difference in text compared to a Nexes one. Yes you'll see the difference compared to a 3GS. It's all marketing crap to brag about and to hike up the price. Screen is just to small. Next year they'll release a bigger phone with the same resolution mark my words

I own both s nexus one and a 3GS. Read my post above...the nexus one screen isn't as good as everyone thinks. I'm not being biased or anything,..I bought the n1 because I rewlly think it's a nice phone..I personally am let down by the oled. Maybe super amoled will be better.

Also, you say that they should use the screens that are out now..(as in 800x480)?
If that's what you mean..then that would be a step backward because all current apps would look like crap if not rewritten for that resolution. That's not the case with 960x640. Read the damn article

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
If this is indeed true then the rumours that the new iPhone will have the "HD" moniker do seem very plausible.:)

{On a separate note-I'm glad to see new rumours being posted on a 'three day weekend'. For a moment there I didn't think there would be anything new on MR until late monday/Tuesday. My goodness I'm addicted to this site.):eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.