Next iPod Touch with Retina Display and Two Cameras?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Daring Fireball's John Gruber hints that Apple's next-generation iPod touch is set to be released in "a few weeks" and will carry a Retina display and two cameras. His note comes in response to Dell's announcement of its Streak mini-tablet with 5-inch screen set to launch on Friday priced at $300 with a two-year AT&T contract or $550 contract-free.
That's almost twice as much as a good iPod Touch, and if you wait a few weeks to buy the Touch, you'll get one with a Retina Display and dual cameras. If Dell can't make an iPod Touch competitor, who can?
Most observers have assumed that the next-generation iPod touch will gain the same high-resolution Retina display found in the iPhone 4, but its camera features have been the subject of some debate. Several leaks of claimed next-generation iPod touch parts seem to show a hole for front-facing camera to allow users to engage in FaceTime video calling, suggesting that the device will offer that functionality.

A rear-facing camera has been a bigger question mark for the next-generation iPod touch, with the depth of the rear-facing cameras found in the iPhone 4 (5-megapixel) and even the iPhone 3GS (3.2-megapixel) appearing too thick for the thinner and more tapered form factor of the existing iPod touch. The issue is not insurmountable, of course, as advances in camera sensor technology might allow Apple to squeeze in a thinner camera still offering the same resolution as the iPhone 3GS's camera, for example. Alternatively, design changes to the iPod touch, such as an elimination of the tapered edges as was done in the redesign for the iPhone 4 or even a general increase in thickness, would offer enough space for one of the thicker iPhone camera modules.

Leaked images of parts and prototypes are frequently a good indication of Apple's product plans, but as we saw last year with several prototypes of the now-current iPod touch carrying a rear-facing camera that was ultimately removed from the final design, we can never be 100% certain. Gruber's track record, however, is very strong and lends significant credence to the rumors that the next-generation iPod touch will gain both front-facing and rear-facing cameras in the next revision.

As for when that update may happen, Apple has traditionally held its iPod-focused media events in early September each year. One rumor has suggested that this year's event could occur as early as next week, although Apple has yet to issue invitations for any such event.

Article Link: Next iPod Touch with Retina Display and Two Cameras?

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Holding out on buying a new iPod till I hear what this gen brings. And it is looking good so far if some of the stuff comes true.

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Wow, that'd be nice. I wonder how many people are going to buy this one, the 8 GB was a huge hit, except I hope it will be a 16 GB :D.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Hermitage, TN
John Gruber said:
If Dell can't make an iPod Touch competitor, who can?
This guy is an idiot. I'm no Mac fanboy, don't own one, but Dell is a lousy competitor in the PC market; let alone the portable entertainment market.

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
Alberta
well i have been thinking of buying a 3GS, but the retina display is something I think i will REALLY miss from the iPhone 4.

If this comes true my decision will be much easier, I can buy the new iPod touch to experience it.

The more i think about it though, waiting another few weeks (in canada) and plus another $100 is not worth a high-density screen.

Any other iphone 4 features worth waiting for that a 3GS wont have?

cybaster

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Dude, they've used this image like 4 times already..... every time i see it i thought my browser cache is acting up again

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
yeah, retina display!

But please, Apple - add that fantastic five-megapixel 720p video recording camera from the iPhone 4 to the touch. I will love you. I'll pay for it, too.

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
well i have been thinking of buying a 3GS, but the retina display is something I think i will REALLY miss from the iPhone 4.

If this comes true my decision will be much easier, I can buy the new iPod touch to experience it.

The more i think about it though, waiting another few weeks (in canada) and plus another $100 is not worth a high-density screen.

Yes but with that extra hundred you will also get FaceTime. I would say that that is worth it…

But seriously, 64gb iPhone would be nice.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I would bet on a retina display, but I'm not sure about how many or what MP the camera or cameras will be. Front probably the same as iPhone, but the back may be 3.2 becasue Apple wants people to buy the iPhone.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010

I would wait. the retina display is worth it alone, its amazing looking back at the old screens and how washed out they are, plus web browsing and texting is much easier on the eyes. not to mention the camera upgrades and the extra RAM which helps a ton

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
wow now that's really some intense insider information. No one would have seen that one coming XD !

Seriously now, what's up with all these iPod Touch rumors. I mean it's SO obvoius what is about to be released: It's gonna have front facing camera, rear facing camera, A4 and thats pretty much it.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Of course it's going to have those features. I expected at least a "retina" display and a front camera for video chats since Apple has been touting the tech for some time now.
Really hope they give us 128gb storage too. 64gb was okay when it hit the iPod 3 years ago, now we need a little more. :D

It'd certainly make up for the lacklustre previous iPod touch update.

radster360

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Dell is no way a competitor for Apple in this matter. Dell never had a good offering for anything handheld - either it is pocket pc or MP3 players. Their Axim was a total failure (I bought one and basically threw that money away). Their idea of mini-slate is flawed. Did people forget Joronado from HP (little different league, but same inbetween form factor)

I Dell should just focus and value laptops and desktops.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
People always want more more features, but who is willing to pay more money for it? 128GB Flash memory is still too expensive to consider. Retina Display is also one of the most expensive part for iPhone 4. Ipod touch is going to start at 199 dollars. With these prices, I don't see how apple is going to put Retina Display with two Cameras. I just don't.

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
John Gruber is so badass. I'm also shocked. I didn't foresee two cameras. This makes me extremely happy.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Lets see... iPod Touch = iPhone4 without the phone... no big surprise there!

Dell??? That will be a collectors item someday I'm sure! What OS will it run? Hummmm.... Can't wait to see all the little menus. It will be cute for sure. :D

Master Chief

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2009
"That's almost twice as much as a good iPod Touch, and if you wait a few weeks to buy the Touch, you'll get one with a Retina Display and dual cameras. If Dell can't make an iPod Touch competitor, who can?"

Why is Gruber comparing the Dell Streak mini with a yet to be released iPod Touch?

Let's take the available iPad 3G for $629 + contract, offering a larger screen, but without a 5 MP camera and without phone capabilities. Oh yeah. That'll make the iPad almost twice as expensive. And I'm not even talking about the 256 KB RAM. Pfff. What people dump on websites for a check. Christ.

We could do the same with the iPhone 4 – a much better product, of course – but some people simply won't shell out that much for a simple phone. And to each his own.

If you're in for a cheap "pad" with phone capabilities... go for the Dell Streak.