Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SWEDISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
Put here your expectations, rumors and doubts about the next MBP 15'' update

I'm waiting for the update to the cheapest MBP to buy one..
What updates do you predict to the new MBPS?

What is for you the biggest diference between MBP and a ordinary laptop (forget the OSX)?

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Get the MBP now. The next update probably won't be until october, and it will just be a very minor one. Tomorrow is always the best time to buy a laptop, so buy it today and get it over with.

Do you mean what is the difference between a MBP, and a MB? or do you mean the difference between a MBP, and a PC of similar specs?

SWEDISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
yes.. whats the diference (forget OSX) between a MBP and other regular notebook

SWEDISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
in the estimate it says:

Days Since Update 153 (Avg = 197)

I will wait for WWDC while i save the remaining 300$..
Do you think it will take till October?

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I would not expect any major updates any time soon. They just bumped the processor speeds 2 weeks ago, and beyond that, there really isn't much new technology that they possible could include. Nvidia doesn't offer much new in the midrange graphics area, since their new cards are just rebrands of the old ones. They could use ATI graphics, but that would not constitute more than a product refresh. The next major update will be the inclusion of the Clarksfield processor, but that is months away; my best guess is that apple will probably use them beginning in late Q3/Q4 at the earliest.

SWEDISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2009
I think that next update will bring the new battery like in the 17'' for the 15''..
That a very Apple thing.. Put a new feature in a high-end product then after a few time bring it too all the product line..

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I think that next update will bring the new battery like in the 17'' for the 15''..
That a very Apple thing.. Put a new feature in a high-end product then after a few time bring it too all the product line..
Highly doubtful. It's not a feature, more like an inconvenience.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
The new update better bring antiglare to the 15"

I'm not buying one until I can get antiglare on the 15", and if not I will just buy the regular white MacBook when fall comes around.

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom
my stakes are:

No HDD only SSD
32nm chip - yeah more work per watt
new battery
Full HD screen
Bluray player (not burner)
USB 3.0

I never participate in these daft threads, but I'm questioning your specs. Only SSD? That would put it out of the price range of an awful lot of people.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
I never participate in these daft threads, but I'm questioning your specs. Only SSD? That would put it out of the price range of an awful lot of people.

i agree. it is going to be a looooong time before you see just SSD's.

i would just buy it now. there is ALWAYS going to be something better down the road. or at least the possibility. like with the aranndale(sp?) chip. ppl are really excited about it. and it was the same way before the Peyrn chip came out. just buy it now and upgrade in the next few years if something monumental comes out.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
The new update better bring antiglare to the 15"

I'm not buying one until I can get antiglare on the 15", and if not I will just buy the regular white MacBook when fall comes around.

..because the White MacBook has anti-glare? :rolleyes:

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
i agree. it is going to be a looooong time before you see just SSD's.

i would just buy it now. there is ALWAYS going to be something better down the road. or at least the possibility. like with the aranndale(sp?) chip. ppl are really excited about it. and it was the same way before the Peyrn chip came out. just buy it now and upgrade in the next few years if something monumental comes out.

Buy now and get it over with OR wait another year when Nehalem based notebooks start coming to market.

Anything between the current line up now and when they release mobile Nehalem chips will not be worth waiting. Keep in mind that even when the new chips come out, there is the possibility of that being a let down, much like the current Mac Pro. (Not that the new Mac Pro aren't amazing, it's just that for the price, the previous Harpertown Mac Pros were a better value.)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
Buy now and get it over with OR wait another year when Nehalem based notebooks start coming to market.

Anything between the current line up now and when they release mobile Nehalem chips will not be worth waiting. Keep in mind that even when the new chips come out, there is the possibility of that being a let down, much like the current Mac Pro. (Not that the new Mac Pro aren't amazing, it's just that for the price, the previous Harpertown Mac Pros were a better value.)

yes buy one now, let them get the kinks out and in 3 or 4 years when your ready for the upgrade they will be waiting for you.:)

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Apple usually updates the MBP every six months. However, it did a small, very small, spec bump to the high end model a few weeks ago. In addition, it also gave the 256 GB SSD option.

Now, I originally thought that was just to hold things over, but now I really wonder if it may be September before there is another speed bump jump. There are no chips unless Apple finally goes with the Core 2 Quad. Or, it will have to wait for Core i7... which some think is next year at earliest.

Seems like a long wait for a new MBP. Seems like six months from now everyone will stop buying the MBP to wait for an update. This caused Apple great problems with its desktop sales. Apple finally made a worthless CPU upgrade in the Mac mini and iMac, but nonetheless people started buying in droves!

The bottom line is no matter how we think about it, we could be completely wrong. Apple could decide to go to Core 2 Quad the day Snow Leopard is released. Or, Apple could forgo all speed bump updates until Core i7 is available???

It is really REALLY REALLY a roll of the dice or anyone's guess!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.