Next MBP Refresh , With or Without ODD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devilcm3, Feb 8, 2011.

?

ODD Stays on the Macbook?

1. Yes , don't remove it

32 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No , kill the optical drive once and for all

48 vote(s)
    41.4%
  3. No , But didn't mind to purchase an external Superdrive

36 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

Since that the refresh is imminent , i would like to hear from you guys would yo prefer the next refresh with or without ODD?

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I still use mine quite a bit but if I liked the new models enough then it wouldn`t be a deal-breaker I can live with using an external.
    No ethernet port would be tho...

3. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

I don't think the industry is ready just yet, ask in one more year I will probably say yes

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

I use mine quite a bit but alot worse could happen if it went external. Can't see it disappearing just yet but at the same time, I'd hate to pay Apple's extortionate prices for their add-ons.

5. FriarNurgle macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

Redbox better get their streaming site up and running.

6. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

7. macmac88 macrumors member

I'd rather have a discrete graphics card... just my opinion...

8. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter if you use it or not its gone. With apple terminating their retail software inventory I thought it was a pretty clear sign of what's to come. Optical drive is gone baby!

9. Brettla macrumors regular

I don't think anything has been said that it would be a graphics card or an optical drive.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

There's no option for I don't care. So, here's my vote:

I don't care.

11. macmac88 macrumors member

There isnt enough room for both... Thats why Apple kept the Core 2 Duos for the current MBP 13".

12. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Give me discrete graphics or 4-6 hour longer battery! :)

13. dreilly1982 macrumors newbie

In the 13" model I can see it going for a gfx card, but not only do I want them to keep it in the 15" and 17", I want them to upgrade!!.....BD-R DL anyone??

14. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

If they remove it and if this happens it will be easier to sell 2010 MBPs on the used market...
    :)

15. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Although I agree with most people that the optical drive will be gone on the MBPs sooner or later, one thing that could result from this lost of the optical drive worries me more. :(

I bet the main reason for Apple to drop the optical drive in future models is so that they can further reduce the size of the MBPs. When I say size, I don't mean thickness, I mean the width of the MBP notebooks. My reasoning & one that I dread is that Apple could reduce a chunk of the MBPs' width after dropping the optical drive & moving from 16:10 screens to 16:9 screens. :( This is not impossible since almost every notebook manufacturers have already moved most of their screens that are being offered to 16:9 ratios. :(

16. sdneidich macrumors member

I would rather have them upgrade to offering a Blu Ray Disc Drive than to having them eliminate it.

But here is my dilemma: I want a 13 inch with a dedicated graphics card.
    Damn.

17. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Honestly though, I dont think the consumer mindset is ready yet on a mainstream scale and this is the type of thing they consider when making decisions.

Apple has a very OCD based customer base and such a removal will cause anxiety in many utilitarians.

18. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I want the ODD actually. Then I can yank it out and put a kick-ass SSD in it.

19. retrorichie macrumors member

Someone give this kid a history lesson

20. glhiii macrumors regular

External works well

My two computers (MBA and Mini) have no ODD -- I use the Apple external one when I need it, and it works perfectly. I think at least half of the extra weight of the 13" MBP vs. the 13" MBA is the ODD -- still, it's good to have the choice. A colleague just bought the 13" MBP over the MBA because of the ODD.

21. Funkymonk macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

22. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I can't believe no one has discussed this before.

23. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

So many better ways to use the onboard space. An external optical drive would be great.

24. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

When Apple *nixes the DVD drive, moves to a flash module and drops the thickness of the machine, the nerd rage on this forum is going to be e.p.i.c.

Fun fact: The Optical Drive doesn't take up so much space that it's removal will facilitate any and/or all of the following:
    -SLI GPU
    -Quad Core CPU
    -4X Battery Life
    -Lower Price
    -Unicorns

There are other things that the optical drive has nothing to do with, like HEAT and POWER.

25. sdneidich macrumors member

What about cannabilism? If the MBP 13 inch is lacking an ODD, then it will cannabolize and be cannabolized by the MB-Air. I don't see apple setting up a MBP that does not have the biggest feature missing from the MB-air.