Next Mobile Intel Processors and Platform (Montevina) Due in June 2008

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Digitimes reports that Intel is poised to launch the Montevina platform at Computex Taipei 2008, which takes place from June 3-7, 2008.

The Montevina platform is the next revision to their mobile platform and will carry the consumer brand "Centrino 2" to distiguish it from the current "Centrino" brand which has encompassed a number of revisions (Carmel, Sonoma, Napa and Santa Rosa).

The six new 45nm notebook CPUs will feature a 1066MHz Front Side Bus with clock speeds ranging from 2.26-3.06GHz. The recently released Penryn processors range from 2.1 to 2.8GHz and offer a 800MHz Front Side Bus. The Penryn processors have not yet been incorporated into Apple's notebook line, despite persistent rumors of an imminent release.

Meanwhile, Digitimes also notes that Intel is planning on releasing 45-nm processors similar to the MacBook Air's custom processor in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Article Link

BWhaler

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Do these have the quad core option for laptops?

That would be crazy speed for a laptop.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Hmmm.... always something better on the way. I'm still going to get a Penryn MBP if one comes out, though.

nnkd

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2007
This definitely complicates things. Makes waiting for a new MBP more appealing and makes the wait less than what I originally suspected for Montevina. Good news though! :)

Dicx

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
If I was Apple I would skip Penryn and just wait for the new chips. It makes sense if you are in the education market. June 2008 is right in the prime buying season for incoming college students. I heard Dell is possibly coming out with their Latitude E series in July August with the new chipset. No word if they are doing Penryn Latitudes or not. XPS yes but business machines who knows.

Remember the MBP's revved on 6/5/07 last year. No reason to put Penryn in now if you plan on doing the best for the summer time frame. And it would look bad to have new systems for a few months and bump them again. But Apple hasn't done that before have they ;)

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
If I was Apple I would skip Penryn and just wait for the new chips. It makes sense if you are in the education market. June 2008 is right in the prime buying season for incoming college students.
That'd be me, then! Anyone know when the processors will actually enter into MacBook Pros? Are we looking at July, or more of a September deal?

Mac84

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Earth
Does increasing the FSB of the processor gives a big impact to the overall speed of a computer?

As far as I know, FSB is the speed between the processor and RAM. The increase in speed will depend on your RAM. Is that true?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”
Apple might as well wait - when you are already spending so much money for a MBP. Wouldn't you be upset if they update it and you buy, then they update it again 3 months later?

Toe

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2002
Intel processor lines are so gat-dang hard to follow!

Yes I know there's a Google out there, but still, I just can't keep these kajillion different intermeshing product-lines straight.

And their naming conventions... worthy of Apple almost. I love Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo. So reminiscent of MacBook vs MacBook Pro, but with an extra confusing double-double added in.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
I doubt Apple will update the notebooks to Penryn now if Montevina is due in June. You never know. Apple might have an early supply of Montevina-based notebooks ready for release tomorrow. ;)

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
Apple might as well wait - when you are already spending so much money for a MBP. Wouldn't you be upset if they update it and you buy, then they update it again 3 months later?
No. They might as well update now. For the next 3 months anyone who buys a MBP will be paying in 2008 the same price for july 2007 tech. It's stupid to not put them in for a quick stop-gap update. The penryn proc's are pin-compatible and it would be easy. Waiting for Montevenia would mean it would be STUPID for anyone to choose a MBP between now and summer. Throwing away cash.

ibinco

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2007
The more news that trickle in about monteniva the more im starting to think that apple will just skip the whole Pernyn set. It makes sense really, they might follow through with a price drop on the current Santa Rosa line to encourage sales.

pine1045

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2007
No matter what the release is or when, news of the next better faster version will be out. It's up to you if you want to wait or not. If Apple releases a new MBP tomorrow, I will probably buy one. If you wanna wait until Montevina that's fine too but by then the next processor will be making news.

I personally could care less about the processor. I wanna see a overhaul of the entire system. A little thinner, higher res display, 256MB Nvidia video card standard, magnetic latch, and easy to access RAM and HD. Am I asking too much?;)

jbh001

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
Still waiting for the GMA X3100 to replace the GMA 950 in the MacMini. Will they skip the X3100 and jump to the X4500 instead? Or do we wait for the summer of 2009 for the Auburndale-Calpella chipset combo that officially eliminates the front side bus?

Or maybe they'll just kill off the Mac Mini altogether since Apple has shown little interest in keeping it refreshed. The only improvements the Mac Mini has seen are simple processor swaps from Core Solo to Core Duo to Core 2 Duo.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I personally could care less about the processor. I wanna see a overhaul of the entire system. A little thinner, higher res display, 256MB Nvidia video card standard, magnetic latch, and easy to access RAM and HD. Am I asking too much?;)
Apparently.

Only thing I wanna see is a processor bump and possibly a graphics card update.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Well the MBP is in short supply and in back order for large purchases, this tell me they are upgrading NOW as in tomorrow or sometime this month.

I do not know, but it maybe possible that this new chip may be released under special arrangement between Intel and Apple instead of waiting for June.

Who knows but something is coming in Feb.

jbh001

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
And their naming conventions... worthy of Apple almost. I love Core Duo vs. Core 2 Duo. So reminiscent of MacBook vs MacBook Pro, but with an extra confusing double-double added in.
Then you'll love it when Nehalem comes out at the end of 2008/beginning of 2009. I've heard its official name will be Core 3 Duo. :D

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
What in the world makes you think Apple will update to Montevina in June. Assuming it gets announced on time, there might be weeks to month before it gets released to manufacturers. Then there could be additional weeks or months before Apple decides to put it in their computers.

I would expect Montevina to make it into Apple products sometime in July or August for back to school shopping. But I also thought the MacBook Pros were going to get updated in January this year.

dAlen

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2006
Well, the fact is that every three months they are updated even if not implemented...so which is worse/better?

Intel has the chips out...so might as well have the choice to use them, not say "well I just bought mine," technology forever moves forward. :)

But with the rate Apple is going, with Intels announcement in Jan (1st week), and here we are headed toward end of march, it could well be the end of July or early August before the monteniva chips are adopted.

Or they (Apple) does skip it (penryn) altogether.
They may want to put Penryn into the iMacs when they release Monentinva into the Macbook pros...to make a difference in the pro line...albeit a lot of pros are using the imac, so it would be nice if they did not go the silly route just mentioned. :)

Peace

dAlen

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
If true, then this casts a shadow over a febuary MBP update of any significance. Might be an idea to expect a mere speed-bump now and a major overhaul late summer.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Do these have the quad core option for laptops?

That would be crazy speed for a laptop.
There's a quad core option for Montevina.

Still waiting for the GMA X3100 to replace the GMA 950 in the MacMini. Will they skip the X3100 and jump to the X4500 instead? Or do we wait for the summer of 2009 for the Calpella chipset? Or maybe they'll just kill off the Mac Mini altogether since Apple has show little interest in keeping it refreshed. The only improvements the Mac Mini has seen are simple processor swaps from Core Solo to Core Duo to Core 2 Duo.
You're going to see Santa Rosa based Mac mini eventually. Apple is really struggling to differentiate their laptop only based desktops.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Now I'm curious of how much of a difference this will make. But I think it's higher ram speeds we need more than anything right now. Quad Core's aren't coming for a while end of this year begging of next year.