Next year, no oleophobic screens anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Halamolo, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Halamolo macrumors regular

What do you think?

Was this just a test from Apple to see, how robust the oleophobic screens are in real life use?

The constant reports of them scratching way easier than 3G/2G and even peeling off in some cases :eek: would indicate that next year they will abandon this "test".

What is your opinion, should they keep it or abandon it?

(I have nothing against smudge resistant screens, but I do not want them with the cost of the robustness of the screens. My humble opinion).

2. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

I say no more oleophobic screens. they seem to do more bad then good from what ive read but i dont know. not only are they coming off in some cases but might be causing the whole "warm" look on the 3gs though that's not been confirmed.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I quite like mine. I hope they keep it. I haven't had any issues with mine and prefer the feel of it to my 1st gen iPhone.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

1) Test? As in they didn't do inhouse tests and just decided to wing it with the public? No.

2) Constant reports? Besides on here - do you have any data on that? Constant reports? With over 1 million sold - how is a small sample becoming a major issue? And how many of these reports are honestly OPERATOR ERROR? :)

2b) How would that indicate they will stop using it. That's perhaps your wishful thinking or desire. But there's no "indication" of it being remotely true

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

same here

6. trssho macrumors 6502

Where have you seen the coating "coming off"? Are you talking about the cnet and endgadget BS reports. One lone gut in Germany wears through a generic screen protector, says it's the oleophobic coating, now people like you are regurgitating it back up as fact. HA!

7. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

I absolutely hate the yellowish look on the 3GS's screen. Is this really due to the oleophobic screen?

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's easy to rehash BS, so try not to.

I've had a 3GS since launch with no case or screen protector. I have no scratches on the screen, and it is much more blue than my 3G was.

the people who have scratches admit to putting the phone naked into pockets with keys. It's only a matter of time until an iPhone is scratched under those conditions.

9. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I like the oleophobic screen, however it does scratch easily. Oh well, I'd like to see it stay, maybe with a little more scratch-resistance. Ive got 1 single scratch on my phone and it gets annoying to look at, but its all good. The back and screen a re perfect besides that and I've got my phone naked and in a pouch. Scratches are bound to happen but I want to enjoy my phone. Just gotta be a little more careful I suppose. :)

Oleo '10.

10. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

I knew someone would post some smartass remark on here. No one is rehashing anything. I am simply stating what I have heard and experienced. I've never been to a forum where so many people are so bitter and mean. wtf. calm down and TAKE my answer and it is MY opinion. Just that. dont give an attitude about MY OPINION. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. The user posted a question and I REPLIED. People ARE saying that the warm yellowish look might be due to olephobic screen. WHO THE HELL KNOWS! NOT YOU. ITS SOMETHING IVE HEARD.

11. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Its the adundance of meth, caffeine, whiskey, and Kool-Aid in here. We're trying to kick the habit.
    Hopefully most of you got the Kool-Aid thing.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't find that comment to be at all sarcastic or bitter. I believe, if you look around, there are more threads than not about warmer screens, screens easily scratching, etc. I think putting an iPhone in your pocket naked with keys is stupid. To bitch about a scratch that was cased by that is hilarious.

I just don't see anyone really bashing YOUR OPINION as you call it.

Keep in mind though, until the iPhone, I've yet to be so damn careful with any cell phone and I have had phones that cost more than the subsidized price of the iPhone.

13. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

but no ones rehashing "BS"....i just stated my damn opinion. thats what i think and thats what i posted. my opinion. the question was....DO YOU THINK THEY SHOULD KEEP THE SCREEN...WHY AND WHY NOT....I ANSWERED. then i get little stupid remarks. its an opinion so dont tell me im rehashing any BS....cuz no one is. its my opinion.

14. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I don't think the coating on the screen is making the LCD yellow. I've also heard reports of the oleophobic screen rubbing off, but I had a screen protector on mine. After I read about the scratching, I quickly got a screen protector on there.

I wouldn't care if they took the oleophobic coat off the iPhone next year.

15. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

Exactly what I was thinking. :)

16. doubletap macrumors regular

This doesn't sound like an opinion to me:

Sounds more like you're stating facts.

Anyhow...

I have a screen protector on my 3G and 3GS so I'm not overly concerned about scratches and the new screens.

dt

17. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I would be a fan if they removed it. Along with the removal of the compass (useless hardware IMO), it would give Apple some room to do better things with the iPhone.

I keep a screen protector on my iPhone, so what's the point of the oleophobic screen? Just a useless feature, there are and have been inexpensive alternatives.

Perhaps removing both the oleophobic screen and compass could free up production costs to allow a front facing camera.

18. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I too like the oleophobic screen. However, the following extract (highlighted in red) from Apple's "iPhone 3GS Important Information Guide" is somewhat disquieting!

"Keeping the Outside of iPhone Clean To clean iPhone, unplug all cables
    and turn off iPhone (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide
    the onscreen slider). Then use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid
    getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners,
    aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPhone. If
    your iPhone has an oleophobic coating on the screen, simply wipe iPhone’s
    screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands and face.
    Please note that the ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time
    with normal usage, and that rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will
    further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.
    "

19. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

My friend had to get another 3gs due to the fact that something was coming off his screen and the yellow tint....i dont know. i said....not confirmed meaning...just that. its a RUMOR. its not a FACT. i DONT KNOW.

20. samcraig macrumors P6

The use of caps and your ranting/usage of "damn" etc makes you come across as either young and volatile or just fanatical. BREATHE!

You're welcome very much.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

How is that disquieting. Any coating (like the ones on and under your car) will diminish over time. And any abbrasive is certainly going to further diminish its effect.

Try rubbing brillo on your painted or wallpapered wall you'll see a diminished effect.

Try the same on your car - etc.

And I can pretty much guarantee that if you keep rubbing your iphone 2g or laptop screen or whatever over time, it will scratch or wear down.

That's not exclusive to the iPhone 3gs...

22. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

im not going to sit here and make this thread about something its not. i stated my opinion and thats that. ive noticed too many times people post things on here and people just have the rudest things to say. i like this forum but sometimes, its overdone(smart remarks). nonetheless, its based on my experiences with the phone...well others experiences cuz i love my 3gs and havent seen anything out of the norm, that maybe they shouldnt have it around next year. but its not that serious. it doesnt matter. as long as the screen works well and it doesnt come with any downfalls, sure. why not

23. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I always enjoy reading your posts. You're funny.

Now in my opinion, I like the new screen, although I do think it might be easier to scratch than previous models.

I try my best to never put the phone face down and when I'm finished using it to put it right back into my case on my hip.

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Thanks.
    Demise '12
    I have a tendency to want to set it on tables like my old phones all the time, so I got a pouch/ holder thing to put on my belt and to put my phone in so I can set it on my desk. I should get a dock. That could help.

25. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

I LOVE the screen on the 3Gs !!!

no screen protector and zero marks .... like anything else thats glass you need to use some care when handling it