Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Hey yeah i do think its better to buy it straight from Google but as a student I can really afford to spend £300 up front on a phone....

Three are doing this deal for the Nexus 5 16GB....
500 mins, Unlim text and internet for £29 a month with a £49 up front cost for the phone....this is also the exact same deal that is being charged for the LG G2 16GB.

Not sure if that is a good deal tbh? and also 16GB is to small I am thinking? I am not putting any music on my phone but still not sure if 16gb is enough.

What WILL you be putting on your phone?

If your not going to be putting music on it, photos can be automatically set to upload to dropbox - that just leaves apps.

I dont think anyone could fill their phone up with 10GB of apps that they use all the time.

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I personally love the G2. The buttons to me are great, as I don't even use them that much because the knock on and off feature works awesome. I've never had an issue with it turning on in my pocket or bumping the buttons. I've tried a few other roms but keep going back to stock. Since CM just release Milestone 1 for it I might try that out.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I personally love the G2. The buttons to me are great, as I don't even use them that much because the knock on and off feature works awesome. I've never had an issue with it turning on in my pocket or bumping the buttons. I've tried a few other roms but keep going back to stock. Since CM just release Milestone 1 for it I might try that out.

What is this feature anyway?

----------

What WILL you be putting on your phone?

If your not going to be putting music on it, photos can be automatically set to upload to dropbox - that just leaves apps.

I dont think anyone could fill their phone up with 10GB of apps that they use all the time.

What is drop box? Also do you put music on your phone?

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA

----------

Let's you turns the screen on and off just by double tapping it. Some say it doesn't work well for them but I've never had an issue with it and find myself trying to use it on my iPad. So I personally love it.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Taken from my Nexus 4, running 4.4 factory image.

Thanks! That's great to know! So it's only that way on the G2. Good to know I'll be happy with the Nexus 5 in that regard.

Im currently using Nova and still able to use Knock Knock to lock the phone -Just double tap on the top nav bar and it still works.

This is really helpful too. I totally forgot about the status bar tap. Thanks!

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
Hey yeah i do think its better to buy it straight from Google but as a student I can really afford to spend £300 up front on a phone....

Three are doing this deal for the Nexus 5 16GB....
500 mins, Unlim text and internet for £29 a month with a £49 up front cost for the phone....this is also the exact same deal that is being charged for the LG G2 16GB.

Not sure if that is a good deal tbh? and also 16GB is to small I am thinking? I am not putting any music on my phone but still not sure if 16gb is enough.

well if they are the same price either one of them is very cheap of the others too expensive. I would get the G2, only because your getting a phone worth more for the same price

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK

Cloud storage which is great for photos. Ive got it set so that as soon as I take a picture it uploads and gets stored in the cloud.

I use Google Music Play to store my 15000 music tracks as ive got an unlimited data plan with 3. I just download play lists to my phone so I can listen to them if I dont have a signal.

Great thing about Google Music Play is that if you download a playlist to your phone, any alteratrions you make via the browser version automatically sync with your phone.

EG:
- Download playlist "Running" to phone.
- Via computer remove 3 songs and add another 4 to the playlist
- On the phone GMP will delete the 3 songs and automatically download the other 4 to your phone.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
Cloud storage which is great for photos. Ive got it set so that as soon as I take a picture it uploads and gets stored in the cloud.

I use Google Music Play to store my 15000 music tracks as ive got an unlimited data plan with 3. I just download play lists to my phone so I can listen to them if I dont have a signal.

Great thing about Google Music Play is that if you download a playlist to your phone, any alteratrions you make via the browser version automatically sync with your phone.

EG:
- Download playlist "Running" to phone.
- Via computer remove 3 songs and add another 4 to the playlist
- On the phone GMP will delete the 3 songs and automatically download the other 4 to your phone.

Very interested in google music. If i get the free one, can I download and sync a playlist over wifi? and if I add a song to a playlist on the phone, will it sync with my iTunes account and therefore my iPad?

HarrisF

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2013
If I were to pick one,I'd go with Nexus 5. Though,both have different advantages along with disadvantages,Nexus 5 just fits my needs.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Very interested in google music. If i get the free one, can I download and sync a playlist over wifi? and if I add a song to a playlist on the phone, will it sync with my iTunes account and therefore my iPad?
Yes, you can download and sync over wifi. No, it won't sync with iTunes (if you have a Mac running the Music Manager app, then it will suck all new iTunes songs automatically into Play, but it won't do the reverse).

There are rumors of Play Music coming to iOS. If so (or if it has already), I'd expect it to behave as it does on Android, but it's not likely to affect iTunes playlists at all.

iHateLaggyStuff

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
OK so I have to admit I'm not a power Android user at all (meaning I dont root/ mod my old Android devices) but I'm not entirely clueless about Android either. However I do not find the battery life on the G2 that great compared to my iphone 5 running iOS 7. I mean standby time is very good but once you start using it it'll kill the battery just as quickly as the iphone 5. But one advantage of iphone 5 is that it charges so much more quickly compared to the G2. So can anyone help me understand this issue please? Also if there's a way to improve the audio quality would be great. Thanks
Gosh I wish I could port iOS 7 into the G2 and call it a day. So tired of switching back and forth between 2 phones.

----------

yeah I dont even understand why people make a big deal about the back button. Personally I think it's great for selfies and left-handed users.

----------

----------

You dont know what Dropbox is and yet you know about Nexus 5?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
OK so I have to admit I'm not a power Android user at all (meaning I dont root/ mod my old Android devices) but I'm not entirely clueless about Android either. However I do not find the battery life on the G2 that great compared to my iphone 5 running iOS 7. I mean standby time is very good but once you start using it it'll kill the battery just as quickly as the iphone 5. But one advantage of iphone 5 is that it charges so much more quickly compared to the G2. So can anyone help me understand this issue please? Also if there's a way to improve the audio quality would be great. Thanks
Gosh I wish I could port iOS 7 into the G2 and call it a day. So tired of switching back and forth between 2 phones.

----------

yeah I dont even understand why people make a big deal about the back button. Personally I think it's great for selfies and left-handed users.

----------

You dont know what Dropbox is and yet you know about Nexus 5?

Your doing something wrong. There is a thread about how pitiful the iPhone battery life is. There are guy in there saying how they are jealous of someone else getting 8 hours out of their iPhone. Heck at 8 hours I'd be lucky to be breaking 60% and that's with active use.

My G2 charges pretty quickly although I haven't benchmarked it or compared it to the iPhone.

Last edited:

iHateLaggyStuff

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Your doing something wrong. There is a thread about how pitiful the iPhone battery life is. There are guy in there saying how they are jealous of someone else getting 8 hours out of their iPhone. Heck at 8 hours I'd be lucky to be breaking 60% and that's with active use.

My G2 charges pretty quickly although I haven't benchmarked it or compared it to the iPhone.

My iPhone 5 has marvellous battery life even compared to devices like HTC One or Samsung galaxy s4. If I wasn't using my phones very heavily it could easily last me a whole day. Keep in my the iphone 5 has a batter almost half the size of those flagship Android phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
My iPhone 5 has marvellous battery life even compared to devices like HTC One or Samsung galaxy s4. If I wasn't using my phones very heavily it could easily last me a whole day. Keep in my the iphone 5 has a batter almost half the size of those flagship Android phones.

I hear that "the iPhone has a battery life almost half the size" logic thrown around a lot, honestly I don't get it. Your phone either lasts a certain amount of time, or it doesn't. The iPhone battery may be more efficient but at the end of the day it still only lasts what it lasts.

I see a lot of guys in that thread crying about getting 5-6 hours a day of active use, with a "lucky" few getting 8 hours, that's nuts IMO. But it all depends what you do and need out of your phone. Using the screen with wifi browsing the G2 isn't that much better than the ip5s so yeah if you are browsing all day then I see your point, although IMO since battery times are not that much different wouldn't you want the much larger screen if you were staring at it all day? 3G browsing times are much higher for the G2, but I haven't seen any LTE graphs so can't comment on that.

If you look at cellular talk times though the arguments against the G2 begin to get shredded very quickly. The ip5s is what, 10 or so hours of talk time? The G2 has 23.5 freakin hours of talk time. So if you actually use your phone as a phone (go figure) then the battery life becomes something out of this world.

It's all good though, but for me if I DO use my phone heavily all day it will still have power left over by the time my head hits the pillow.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
I hear that "the iPhone has a battery life almost half the size" logic thrown around a lot, honestly I don't get it. Your phone either lasts a certain amount of time, or it doesn't. The iPhone battery may be more efficient but at the end of the day it still only lasts what it lasts.

I see a lot of guys in that thread crying about getting 5-6 hours a day of active use, with a "lucky" few getting 8 hours, that's nuts IMO. But it all depends what you do and need out of your phone. Using the screen with wifi browsing the G2 isn't that much better than the ip5s so yeah if you are browsing all day then I see your point, although IMO since battery times are not that much different wouldn't you want the much larger screen if you were staring at it all day? 3G browsing times are much higher for the G2, but I haven't seen any LTE graphs so can't comment on that.

If you look at cellular talk times though the arguments against the G2 begin to get shredded very quickly. The ip5s is what, 10 or so hours of talk time? The G2 has 23.5 freakin hours of talk time. So if you actually use your phone as a phone (go figure) then the battery life becomes something out of this world.

It's all good though, but for me if I DO use my phone heavily all day it will still have power left over by the time my head hits the pillow.

LG G2 in black or white?

iHateLaggyStuff

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013

I'm not sure what kind of iPhone users you've been talking to but I'm a very heavy user and often have to charge my iphone 2-3 times a day. I get only slightly better results with the G2. But the thing about iphone 5 is that since the battery is smaller I can charge it to full much more quickly, and hence could use my phone again. So the total amounts that I could use my iphone is actually better compared to the total amount that I could use on my G2 because the latter takes much longer to get to a full charge. Another point is that the G2's battery is only a bit better (emphasize a bit) because it's almost double the size of the battery in the iphone. Get it?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I think we pretty much at the max limits of current battery life technology. It hasnt gotten much better and if it is, maybe 1-2 more hour screen time use.

Android phones average abt 4-6 hrs screen time.

iPhones can go from 5-8 hrs screen time.

Phablets with 3000-4000 mAh batteries probably can last 7-10 hrs screen time.

But it all depends how you use it throughout the day. Some days, I prefer gaming and it kills it after 3 hrs. Some days, I only browse the web or text.

But even with a 40% bigger battery capacity, we still get abt 2 hrs more screen time at best. That can easily be killed by gaming or GPS. So expect battery with 2300-3000 mAh abt 5-7 hr screen time. No miracles here.

Nexus 5 or G2 battery tests seem moot to me. It is abt a day's use at best. This isnt like weeks and weeks on standby and 24 hr screen time. Typical averages at best squeezing out an hour or two more on certain devices.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The black one gets better battery life.

Never heard that before, can you back it up at all?

Got the best use out of my white LG until I had to charge it last night!

Attachments

• 2013-11-03 20.17.04.png
    2013-11-03 20.17.04.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 102

bova80

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
if you are going to compare battery size also compare screen size (more pixels more power) as well as process power and everything else.

boateng

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012

Got the best use out of my white LG until I had to charge it last night!

Do you have a case for yours? I can't seem to find any good case on amazon uk or otter box.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
I think we pretty much at the max limits of current battery life technology. It hasnt gotten much better and if it is, maybe 1-2 more hour screen time use.

Android phones average abt 4-6 hrs screen time.

iPhones can go from 5-8 hrs screen time.

Phablets with 3000-4000 mAh batteries probably can last 7-10 hrs screen time.

But it all depends how you use it throughout the day. Some days, I prefer gaming and it kills it after 3 hrs. Some days, I only browse the web or text.

But even with a 40% bigger battery capacity, we still get abt 2 hrs more screen time at best. That can easily be killed by gaming or GPS. So expect battery with 2300-3000 mAh abt 5-7 hr screen time. No miracles here.

Nexus 5 or G2 battery tests seem moot to me. It is abt a day's use at best. This isnt like weeks and weeks on standby and 24 hr screen time. Typical averages at best squeezing out an hour or two more on certain devices.

Coming from an iPhone where I constantly needed to be plugged in, this kind of battery life from the G2 is insane. I can unplug at 7am and not have to plug in until 2am and still have 20-30% left. That's nuts because with my iPhone I'd be dead by 2-3pm.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I'm not sure what kind of iPhone users you've been talking to but I'm a very heavy user and often have to charge my iphone 2-3 times a day. I get only slightly better results with the G2. But the thing about iphone 5 is that since the battery is smaller I can charge it to full much more quickly, and hence could use my phone again. So the total amounts that I could use my iphone is actually better compared to the total amount that I could use on my G2 because the latter takes much longer to get to a full charge. Another point is that the G2's battery is only a bit better (emphasize a bit) because it's almost double the size of the battery in the iphone. Get it?

Here are many users complaining about the 5s battery life:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1644553/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1665107/

I googled for specs on charging times, but I didn't find anything so I don't know if there is an official spec for charging times for either phone. I've never noticed my G2 taking longer to charge in particular over any other phone I've owned, but I've never timed it versus a 5s. It's never an issue though because you need to charge your iphone during the day, 2-3 times a day according to you, in contrast I can do almost anything on mine and NOT have to charge it at all, not 2-3 times, not even once. So the time your 5s spends on the charger is time that I'm actually using mine, which means I get MUCH more time on my G2.

I still think the size of the battery is a silly argument. Yes you are right from the technical specifications, but who cares? Your phone still lasts x hours, my phone still lasts x hours. You talk on your phone for 10 hours, then have to fully charge it again, then talk another 10 hours, then fully charge it again, then 3.5 hours, then almost half charge it. I talk on my phone 23.5 hours without charging it until the end.

EDIT: Just found charging time for the G2 is 2.6 hours: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7251/lg-g2-and-msm8974-snapdragon-800-a-quick-look/3
Does anyone have a link to ip5s charging times?

----------

Coming from an iPhone where I constantly needed to be plugged in, this kind of battery life from the G2 is insane. I can unplug at 7am and not have to plug in until 2am and still have 20-30% left. That's nuts because with my iPhone I'd be dead by 2-3pm.

I think this is a pretty typical scenario for iphone users, it was EXACTLY my scenario when I used to use an iphone 5 as well.

----------

Really? Lol.... :p

Last edited:

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
I see T mobile has a price drop to $583 full retail. It's getting harder to decide plus there has been reports of light leakage on the N5 which is a big pet peeve of mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.