Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
I wonder if they will drastically improve the nexus 7 2014 camera. They could at least put a flash on the back. And 1080p front camera. Less grain in low light as well as faster focusing.

kenypowa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
somewhere
Looks more and more likely that the camera will be the same as the G2's: http://www.androidauthority.com/new-nexus-might-feature-camera-lg-g2-13mp-ois-269004/

With such internals, I have to believe they're going to raise the prices.

$329 or $349 for the base model, I predict. Hopefully the base model is 16GB...

Hopefully not. When Nexus 4 came out, it's one of the first phone with Snapdragon S4 quad core processors, and still priced very competitively. Camera part doesn't cost that much to begin with.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Looks more and more likely that the camera will be the same as the G2's: http://www.androidauthority.com/new-nexus-might-feature-camera-lg-g2-13mp-ois-269004/

With such internals, I have to believe they're going to raise the prices.

$329 or $349 for the base model, I predict. Hopefully the base model is 16GB...

I'd love to see it priced similarly but in all honesty, doesn't matter because I'll be getting it regardless of price. It ticks off more boxes for my preferences than my HTC One and I paid $600+ for it. Priced anything less than the full retail price of current flagship devices, and it's a steal IMO.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'd love to see it priced similarly but in all honesty, doesn't matter because I'll be getting it regardless of price. It ticks off more boxes for my preferences than my HTC One and I paid $600+ for it. Priced anything less than the full retail price of current flagship devices, and it's a steal IMO.

Great point. Have to agree. Let's just hope there's a 32GB option, at least. 64GB would be insanely ideal, but as you said before, unlikely.

----------

Hopefully not. When Nexus 4 came out, it's one of the first phone with Snapdragon S4 quad core processors, and still priced very competitively. Camera part doesn't cost that much to begin with.

I'd be amazed if the price didn't go up. I hope not, too.

But the N7 went up this year and it was worth every penny. I think the Nexus 5 will go up, too, but just as little as the Nexus 7 went up.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Based upon the G2, this nexus 5 should have some slick hardware, but I guess we'll see.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
give me a 5inch screen and i'm buying it. three of my friends own the nexus 4 and all of them are pretty impressed by that product, so i'll give nexus 5 a shot.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
give me a 5inch screen and i'm buying it. three of my friends own the nexus 4 and all of them are pretty impressed by that product, so i'll give nexus 5 a shot.

Every indication points to a 4.98" screen (or whatever the exact number is), so you're in luck.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Rad!

Bring it on Google. I hope that rumored October 14th release date turns out to be true.

That must mean a Google event what, late September or early October?

The rumors I saw said October 14th was in relation to the event, not the release date.

The LG G2 has a 5.2 screen size so whats up with that?
Google probably thought 5.2 was a bit too big. Just my guess.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
First hardware leak shots (not from the FCC anyway! :D)?

http://9to5google.com/2013/09/16/ne...xus-show-kitkat-startup-screen-other-details/

nexus-5-01.png
nexus-5-03.png
nexus-5-02.png

Using the same boot animation as the Google Play edition devices, not the traditional Nexus X one...

Very brief videos in the link. I think I see more Roboto Light on the lockscreen.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

http://9to5google.com/2013/09/16/ne...xus-show-kitkat-startup-screen-other-details/

Image Image Image

Using the same boot animation as the Google Play edition devices, not the traditional Nexus X one...

Very brief videos in the link. I think I see more Roboto Light on the lockscreen.

That looks awesome! Although I'm not quite sure what the top middle circle is in the second picture. I am guessing the thing to the left is the front camera and the two dots on the right are ambient light sensors. Could the middle circle be a speaker type thing? That would seem odd considering you can't see it in the third picture but you can see the camera...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
That looks awesome! Although I'm not quite sure what the top middle circle is in the second picture. I am guessing the thing to the left is the front camera and the two dots on the right are ambient light sensors. Could the middle circle be a speaker type thing? That would seem odd considering you can't see it in the third picture but you can see the camera...

I'd guess (in this order)

Light sensor <-> Front facing cam <-> Proximity sensor.

The centre one does look to have a camera ring in it:
n5.jpg

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

Image Image Image

Great pics. Also more proof that beer isn't good for your career.

----------

The 3D mockup appears to be a perfect mokcup compared to the newly leaked photos.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
I'd guess (in this order)

Light sensor <-> Front facing cam <-> Proximity sensor.

The centre one does look to have a camera ring in it:

The left hole looks more like a camera to me. Plus it is in the same position as the G2. I just wonder where the earpiece/speaker will be. And in the below image, it looks like they could use that center hole as one.

Center could also be an LED light maybe.

Attachments

• 2013-09-16 17_00_18-nexus-5-03.png (2448×3264).jpg
    2013-09-16 17_00_18-nexus-5-03.png (2448×3264).jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
The left hole looks more like a camera to me. Plus it is in the same position as the G2. I just wonder where the earpiece/speaker will be. And in the below image, it looks like they could use that center hole as one.

Center could also be an LED light maybe.

You're right on the Front facing cam. That centre one is a mystery then it seems. :D

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I wonder if those FCC dimensions are still correct, because the bezel doesn't appear to have been shrunk enough to accommodate a .3" larger screen in an overall smaller body. But we shall see.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
You're right on the Front facing cam. That centre one is a mystery then it seems. :D
Well then I guess there will be at least some sense of surprise when its released ;)

I'm gonna guess a proximity sensor, light sensor, LED light, or earpiece. There aren't many other options, so I'll cover the basics :)

I wonder if those FCC dimensions are still correct, because the bezel doesn't appear to have been shrunk enough to accommodate a .3" larger screen in an overall smaller body. But we shall see.
Stuff like that is typically pretty difficult to determine through just images. I am just hoping they don't sacrifice battery to make this phone thin. I am getting so tired of that, but rumors point to a pretty small 2300 mAh battery :/

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Looks more and more like the back will be Nexus 7 like. Awesome.

----------

Yeah, what the heck is that centered dot? Hm. Any clues from the G2 what that center sensor thing might be?

----------

Lost at a bar again? That's at least one thing Apple innovated in and everyone else copied.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Nexus 5

Where is the speaker!? I don't see any speaker on the front or back.
I'm so excited for this BTW. I went to check out a G2 today and I was VERY impressed. This will be even better with the soft touch back and stock android of course.

Edit: that top circle has to be a ear piece. That's the only place it can go. Doesn't use the normal slot shape though. Weird.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Nexus 4 16 GB sold out: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/16/nexus-4-16gb-now-sold-out-through-google-play-as-well/

Will they skip replenishing the 16GB stock like they skipped replenishing the 8GB stock?

And if so, can Nexus 5 be that far off?

----------

Where is the speaker!? I don't see any speaker on the front or back.
I'm so excited for this BTW. I went to check out a G2 today and I was VERY impressed. This will be even better with the soft touch back and stock android of course.

Edit: that top circle has to be a ear piece. That's the only place it can go. Doesn't use the normal slot shape though. Weird.

I believe there are dual speakers on the bottom curve of the device. Check out this render. I've circled where the speakers are. Turn up your brightness setting and you'll see them. That's my guess:

WP3ZmIT.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.