Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Nexus 4 16 GB sold out: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/16/nexus-4-16gb-now-sold-out-through-google-play-as-well/

Will they skip replenishing the 16GB stock like they skipped replenishing the 8GB stock?

And if so, can Nexus 5 be that far off?

----------

I believe there are dual speakers on the bottom curve of the device. Check out this render. I've circled where the speakers are. Turn up your brightness setting and you'll see them. That's my guess:

Perfect! Thanks for pointing that out in the render. Yes, if they are taking designs cues from the nexus 7 (clearly they are) then your guess would be spot on.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
That's where they are on the G2, so the Nexus will likely be the same.

Makes sense.

----------

This is all shaping up really nicely.

Now, Google needs to deliver on storage size and price. Based on the Nexus 7 storage and pricing scheme, and based on Motorola's storage scheme, I have to believe we'll see 16/32GB options. 64GB would be super.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Where is the speaker!? I don't see any speaker on the front or back.
I'm so excited for this BTW. I went to check out a G2 today and I was VERY impressed. This will be even better with the soft touch back and stock android of course.

Edit: that top circle has to be a ear piece. That's the only place it can go. Doesn't use the normal slot shape though. Weird.

Nexus 4 16 GB sold out: http://www.droid-life.com/2013/09/16/nexus-4-16gb-now-sold-out-through-google-play-as-well/

Will they skip replenishing the 16GB stock like they skipped replenishing the 8GB stock?

And if so, can Nexus 5 be that far off?

----------

I believe there are dual speakers on the bottom curve of the device. Check out this render. I've circled where the speakers are. Turn up your brightness setting and you'll see them. That's my guess:

We have no idea where the speakers are. That render isn't accurate according to leaked shots.

I am not saying they won't be there, we just don't know yet. It might make sense since that is the location of the speakers on the G2 and the Nexus 4 speaker is in the same place as the original Optimus G.

Attachments

• 2013-09-16 19_51_53-nexus-5-01.png @ 76.8% (Exposure 1, Layer Mask_8) _.jpg
    2013-09-16 19_51_53-nexus-5-01.png @ 76.8% (Exposure 1, Layer Mask_8) _.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 131

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
We have no idea where the speakers are. That render isn't accurate according to leaked shots.

There are leaked shots that show where the speakers are?

----------

I am not saying they won't be there, we just don't know yet. It might make sense since that is the location of the speakers on the G2 and the Nexus 4 speaker is in the same place as the original Optimus G.

EDIT: Never mind. I misread you. Yup, I have no clue. Just guessing based on the G2 and renders.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

True. Seems to be the most likely spot but hopefully we won't have to wait long to find out!

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
October 14th was the rumored date of something for the Nexus. Either Google event or release date (which would mean Google Event would have to be late September or early October).

There was also a rumor today that Apple may hold their iPad/Mac even October 15th.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I wish that Best Buy would sell it. Now that they do offer the Nexus 7, perhaps it isn't a pipe dream for them to offer the next Nexus 4/5 also. I'm tempted to hold off on the new iPhone for it, but I remember the ordeal I went through last year to get the Nexus 4 from Google Play and then all of the issues I had with it. If I could get it from Best Buy and add their protection plan to it, that would be a much better experience.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I wish that Best Buy would sell it. Now that they do offer the Nexus 7, perhaps it isn't a pipe dream for them to offer the next Nexus 4/5 also. I'm tempted to hold off on the new iPhone for it, but I remember the ordeal I went through last year to get the Nexus 4 from Google Play and then all of the issues I had with it. If I could get it from Best Buy and add their protection plan to it, that would be a much better experience.

Google's customer service has been significantly improved.

And for what it's worth, launch-wise, the Nexus 7 2nd gen was near flawless.

----------

The Verge says their source says that the Nexus 4 won't be back.

Nexus 5 should be close then.

I can't imagine Google wants there to be dead-space so to speak with no Nexus smartphone available for more than a month.

October 14th... let's hope that rumored date pans out.

----------

FCC leaks and other stuff have already pointed to Snapdragon 800.

Confirmation on top of another confirmation. What's it hurt to share the info? :)

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Google's customer service has been significantly improved.

And for what it's worth, launch-wise, the Nexus 7 2nd gen was near flawless.

I think thats mainly because they were able to sell it at so many locations at launch. I am skeptical that Google will sell the Nexus 5 at launch in BB stores, Staples, Amazon, etc.

Nexus 5 should be close then.

I can't imagine Google wants there to be dead-space so to speak with no Nexus smartphone available for more than a month.

October 14th... let's hope that rumored date pans out.

A whole month would be quite a long time for them to have 0 sales. And at this point, if they come out on the 14th, thats already nearly a month. But with past releases, they have typically waited a good amount of time between announcement and release.

Confirmation on top of another confirmation. What's it hurt to share the info? :)
Haha no problems at all. But aren't those types of benchmarks much easier to fake than FCC documents? I am not saying it isn't true, but to play devil's advocate, this could just be some kid making something up to go alongside all the FCC leaks, rumors, and even pictures today. Maybe they just want to tag along for the ride with the more legitimate rumors.

Having said that, I fully expect the Nexus 5 to have a Snapdragon 800. I just wouldn't personally consider this "confirmation."

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Having said that, I fully expect the Nexus 5 to have a Snapdragon 800. I just wouldn't personally consider this "confirmation."

Well, thus my quotes when I said "confirms." It was part of the title of the article, too.

Not sure why you're picking out semantics and parsing out what is what. You can call it whatever you wish. This is a thread to discuss all things Nexus 5. 'Nuff said, I think.

----------

A whole month would be quite a long time for them to have 0 sales. And at this point, if they come out on the 14th, thats already nearly a month. But with past releases, they have typically waited a good amount of time between announcement and release.

All the more reason to believe it may be arriving soon. I'm not claiming nor pretending to know anything. Everything is conjecture. It may not come out until November or December. What do I know. Just saying, all these signs point to sooner than later. I understand nothing's a guarantee.

----------

I think thats mainly because they were able to sell it at so many locations at launch. I am skeptical that Google will sell the Nexus 5 at launch in BB stores, Staples, Amazon, etc.

Regardless, I'm hoping they learned from their previously failed launches and properly anticipate demand this time. Surely they must know themselves their Nexus branding has grown since last time. The Nexus 7 is, at least, a good indication they're learning. Nothing's a guarantee, but hopefully they get it right.

Anyway, take it easy? What are you, the police of Nexus 5 rumors? Geez, Marie.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Two variants of the Nexus 5 coming? GSM and CDMA?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Poss...Fi-certification-with-gigabit-support_id47500

The two models listed are the LG-D820_S and LG-D820_C. Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell the difference between the two models based on these certification results. The D820 is likely the GSM model, whereas the D821 is the CDMA variant; so, it could be that the D820_S and D820_C differ slightly in supported GSM bands or LTE bands. We can't say for sure.

Verizon victims users rejoice?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Two variants of the Nexus 5 coming? GSM and CDMA?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Poss...Fi-certification-with-gigabit-support_id47500

The two models listed are the LG-D820_S and LG-D820_C. Unfortunately, it is impossible to tell the difference between the two models based on these certification results. The D820 is likely the GSM model, whereas the D821 is the CDMA variant; so, it could be that the D820_S and D820_C differ slightly in supported GSM bands or LTE bands. We can't say for sure.

Verizon victims users rejoice?

I don't think so--already been stated that it looks like it will compatible with Sprint.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Here’s a list of some of the things that are apparently coming to Google’s new OS version:

-Firmware availability to older phones
-Fragmentation changes (screen resizing)
-Miracast updates
-New Gallery Visualisation
-New APIs regarding animations
-Change android default blue to other preset palette colours
-New notification widgets

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Here’s a list of some of the things that are apparently coming to Google’s new OS version:

-Firmware availability to older phones
-Fragmentation changes (screen resizing)
-Miracast updates
-New Gallery Visualisation
-New APIs regarding animations
-Change android default blue to other preset palette colours
-New notification widgets

I WANT THIS NOW!!! Is this coming to 5 or 4.4 ?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Will or will not be compatible with Sprint? Missing some key words there... heh.

CDMA version or not, doesn't affect me, per se. Just curious.

Yep, another case of my fingers not keeping up with my thoughts. ;)

I believe the initial FCC docs showed it would be compatible with T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint. At least, that's what others with a better understanding of compatible carrier frequencies commented. Considering how historically Verizon likes to meddle with the OS, and the less than stellar Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus, this doesn't surprise me. Sprint, on the other hand, is desperate for any advantage they can get so if it turns out to in fact be compatible with their network, it wouldn't surprise me if they acquiesced to Google in this case.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I WANT THIS NOW!!! Is this coming to 5 or 4.4 ?

If these are true, it would be for KitKat 4.4.

I was actually going to try to hold off on the Nexus 5 even if it hits all the marks for pricing, storage, etc., but this development with 4.4 might motivate me to get it sooner...

Have to see how 4.3 does with the HTC One first, and have to determine what sort of resale value my 64GB Developer's Edition has, and finally, of course, the Nexus 5 still has to deliver on all its goodies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.