Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
I'm a big fan of this too....

Because I'm planning on using an early upgrade to buy a 5C in addition to the 5S at full upgrade pricing, I'm hoping the Nexus 5 can help me holdout until 2015 on a new Android phone.....

With these specs and design, looks like it'll do VERY nicely.

And as always, price point will be key and likely a HUGE PLUS.

That sounds like a solid plan. I'm just sticking with my iPhone 5 as my backup, but I am tempted to use both upgrades we've got on 2 5S's and then sell them for a major profit.

I've got a Moto X coming next week and couldn't be more excited. That'll hold me over while I wait on the Nexus.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Count me in for another hopeful that that render is an accurate estimation on the thing.

I initially didn't really like the feel of my 2013 Nexus 7 over the 2012 version but it's grown on me.

Come on Google, can't be too far off of an event (October/November?).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm indifferent about how the camera looks. Not particularly nice, but not particularly ugly.

The more important thing is whether the camera will be good or not. The camera has always been a sore spot of past Nexus devices. Google vowed they'd change that this year.

Let's hope so.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I'm indifferent about how the camera looks. Not particularly nice, but not particularly ugly.

The more important thing is whether the camera will be good or not. The camera has always been a sore spot of past Nexus devices. Google vowed they'd change that this year.

Let's hope so.

Never a truer word spoken! :D

vicnexusca.png

Don't you lie to us Vic! :mad::p

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
New render:

http://www.androidauthority.com/new-lg-nexus-fan-render-268556/

I really like the back material. If it's just like the N7, it'll mean nearly no fingerprints, and will feel smooth but still give a good grip.

The nicest looking render thus far, though I'm unsure about that camera ring.

The Nexus 5 looks like it,s shaping up to be a helluva handset. The only thing that's got me worried is the 2300mAh battery. Unless the 800 chipset can work wonders the battery life is likely to be average. I'd buy one in an instant if it came with 3000mAh.

I guess we'll have to see what optimisations come with KitKat.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Let's hope so.

+1 - looks are somewhat irrelevant as far as the camera goes, as long as it takes quality photos.

----------

The Nexus 5 looks like it,s shaping up to be a helluva handset. The only thing that's got me worried is the 2300mAh battery. Unless the 800 chipset can work wonders the battery life is likely to be average. I'd buy one in an instant if it came with 3000mAh.

Try to think outside of the Android box and stop worrying about the battery capacity ;)

The number initially doesn't matter all that much, so long as the battery lasts. There are a NUMBER of other factors that will affect battery life as much or more than capacity. Just gotta wait and see!

I will say, the N4 started out with terrible battery life, but fixes to bugs in 4.2 ended up solving the issue and it actually got pretty good battery life for me. Lasted the day with about 4-5 hours on screen time.

Can't remember the capacity though....

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
Try to think outside of the Android box and stop worrying about the battery capacity ;)

The number initially doesn't matter all that much, so long as the battery lasts. There are a NUMBER of other factors that will affect battery life as much or more than capacity. Just gotta wait and see!

I will say, the N4 started out with terrible battery life, but fixes to bugs in 4.2 ended up solving the issue and it actually got pretty good battery life for me. Lasted the day with about 4-5 hours on screen time.

Can't remember the capacity though....

Oh I know, it's just that I've been spoilt by my Butterfly S. I would love to see a Nexus achieve the kind battery life I'm currently getting. I had a Nexus 4 but was really let down by the battery life and camera - if Google can really improve these then I might seriously consider returning to the stock camp.

Here's hoping :)

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Oh I know, it's just that I've been spoilt by my Butterfly S. I would love to see a Nexus achieve the kind battery life I'm currently getting. I had a Nexus 4 but was really let down by the battery life and camera - if Google can really improve these then I might seriously consider returning to the stock camp.

Here's hoping :)

Yup!

Trying to balance my expectations/wants with the fact this phone will likely be priced somewhere around $329 off-contract....

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

The snapdragon 800 from the initial impressions does exactly that. It is apparently a huge improvement in over 600 and a gigantic improvement over the s4 pro in battery performance. The battery should be very good on the nexus 5.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010

Let's hope so.

Wowz! It seems it'll be worth waiting for the Nexus announcement instead of purchasing the LG G2 right away!

Yep, rumor is the Nexus 5 will have the same camera as the G2, which has received pretty solid reviews.
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/09/13/nexus-5-3-key-details-emerge/

It looks like the Nexus 5 will use the same camera as the LG G2, which uses a 13MP sensor with optical image stabilization. The camera module shown in the FCC matches one posted by Anandtech, which means we could see a boost in camera performance on the Nexus 5.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Google should pay Motorola for their touchless control. I want it in the play store for every android device. Since they own them why can't the do something like this for the nexus 5? Then put in the play store next year or so.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
This thread is better than some of the major android blogs for info on the next Nexus!

Would be sooooo happy if it was released (not just announced) on Oct 14th. Also the comparison of the Nexus 5 camera (without the crazy cover over it) to the LG G2 camera assembly in anandtech is the first piece of evidence to convince me that we might get lucky and get the same (or very similar) camera to the LG G2 which would be amazing!

Just sold my 1st gen Nexus 7 to save money for the Nexus 7 2013 so by next year I will have all new toys!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumo...ndroid-4.4-KitKat-coming-October-14th_id47430

Rumors are circulating that Oct 14th could be the release of Nexus 5 and 4.4. KitKat.

Also, regarding 4.4, the update would address fragmentation in some way as predicted by Google's own words: "amazing Android experience available for everybody."

Bring.It.On.

Can't wait. Seems earlier than usual though--believe the announcement last year was end of October with the Nexus 4 going on sale sometime in November.

Either way, I excited. If the rumors turn out to be true, this Nexus comes closest to meeting all of my phone expectations. Only thing I'd prefer but don't expect is a 64GB model.

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
I can't wait for this Nexus 5, looks pretty good and the camera rumors are just heaven sent, I love my Nexus 4 ( first Android device) , this device looks beautiful
awesome price, timely updates, fluid UI, fully customizable, factory unlocked what more do you want!!

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Haven't kept up with N5 rumors, any luck of this coming out with removable backplate for MicroSD storage and Removable battery?

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Sad face, even with those factors gone if it had exceptional battery life I would most likely ditch S4 for it, depending on how battery life and the camera perform.

It's confirmed based on the teardown from the FCC site, there is no removable battery, nor a SD card slot.

http://imgur.com/a/M26mA

camera part looks very similar to the LG G2 camera. Hopefully it's the same! Direct Link

ET0JUgp.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.