Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich Delayed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by soco, Oct 7, 2011.

1. soco, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

From BGR and various other sites...
    Developing?

Obviously the question is, what went wrong all of a sudden?

Something to do with all the leaking?
    Steve's passing?
    Not wanting to be lost in the middle of all the iPhone 4S commotion?
    Patent issues?

My personal take is it's a mixture of it all.

Steve's passing and the iPhone 4S's timing: Google and Samsung hadn't planned on any of this. Who did? Obviously they knew there was a phone coming, but maybe the unfortunate addition of Steve's death added a bit of "Maybe now isn't the right time..." for Samsung.

Couple this with the patent war and I see a recipe for awkwardness in the Samsung camp. Jumping onto a stage to tout your newest device not even a week after your "enemy company's" former King has died; Possibly not the most comfortable thing to do right now.

2. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Classy!

So Samsung and Google cancel Nexus announcement out of respect of Mr. Jobs. Very classy move.

3. bmms8 macrumors 68020

4. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

5. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Sorry, but I don't believe for one second that they passed over the announcement next Tuesday because of Jobs dying.

6. Uln4321 macrumors regular

"Samsung and Google decide to postpone the new product announcement at CTIA Fall. We agree that it is just not the right time to announce a new product. New date and venue will be shortly announced."

Link

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Says nowhere that it has to do with Steve Jobs. It might just not be ready yet.

8. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

There not going to come out and say because of Mr. Jobs passing hence the classy part.

9. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I think it's more likely that Samsung and Google don't want there announcement to be eclipsed by all the Steve Jobs Death hoopla...

10. bmms8 macrumors 68020

that makes no sense. im sorry.

the phone might not be ready.

i am positive apple knew Steve would pass this week, they continued their plans as a business. samsung and google are no different.

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You are positive that Apple knew SJ would die is week? You must be kidding.

12. gillybean macrumors 6502a

Why would they cancel it out of respect for jobs?

My guess is they need some more time to get stuff ready.

13. bmms8 macrumors 68020

not positive, youre right. but i think Steve knew himself he was passing. in course apple knew. this is all my speculation though.

14. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

Do you really think they cancelled 3 days and 1 business day early because its not ready. They would of canceled way earlier then this.

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

They saw the 4S and decided to go back to the drawing board. :D

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Uh, no, probably not. Both my grandfather and great-aunt died of pancreatic cancer. The death was very sudden. In the days before their death, they both seemed fine - well, as fine as anyone with terminal cancer can be. They knew their time was limited, but didn't know how limited. It's not like they spent several days on their deathbed connected to life support keeping them alive.

17. ai4281 macrumors newbie

Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus delayed!

Google and Samsung are delaying the unveiling Nexus Prime/Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich, which was scheduled for the 11th. No reason given other than "we agree that it's not the right time".

http://www.tekgadg.com/tekgadg/2011/10/7/samsung-and-google-to-postpone-galaxy-nexusnexus-prime.html

What do you guys think? Are they staying silent to pay respects? Or are they going back to their labs to change the Nexus phone, now that they know what the next iPhone looks like? Both?

18. paule350 macrumors member

pay respects imo.. it is kind of soon and I am sure they have some anti-apple stuff in the presentation.

19. shadrap macrumors 6502

I friend of mine also died of this disease. Most do not realize that pancreatic cancer is probably the worst you can have. Literally here one minute gone the next. He was diagnosed and died within 3 months. Never drank or smoked. Horrible disease.

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Taking steves passing completely out of the equation and I have no idea what they are thinking. I can only imagine Tuesday night when apple had all the bad press about the announcement they must have been salivating that a week they later they are going to announce a phone with crazy geek specs and hit apple when they are vulnerable. Delaying would make no sense because the longer they wait the closer they get to iPhone 6. Their time is now.

Now bring Steve back into it where he is on every channel every magazine every newspaper......everyone saying he's the greatest innovator and everything else I'm guessing they think that people are going apple crazy right now and people unfamiliar with steve and iPhone are going to want to see what this iPhone is all about so they don't want to get lost in the steve/apple avalanche so they will announce once it dies down.

21. soco thread starter macrumors 68030

soco

I don't know man, seems like that leaked video from this morning that it's pretty ready to me.

22. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

23. Catch macrumors 6502

Hahaha I love it!

[Opening a bottle of wine and settles in for this evenings entertainment!]

C

24. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Walt Mossberg has written that Steve was bedridden and knew he was going imminently when he visited him several weeks ago. The progress of cancer, once it gets to that stage, is pretty predictable. Starting around the first of the month, he was probably in and out of consciousness and may have been morphined into a nearly vegetative state for the previous few days due to the pain. "Within this week" would have been an easy call.

It's all very sad, and repeated millions of times a day for millions of families around the world. Steve was fortunate to have a loving family, many close friends, and much life satisfaction, and the time to come to terms with his passing.