NFC...wow i want!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Sep 16, 2012.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

Of course I'll have to wait until Apple get it but damn, I never looked into exactly what NFC (Near Field Communication), I thought it was just for paying for stuff at random places since that seems to be the most talked about feature and it turns out that is probably the least often thing I'd use it for.

Check this out... http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39...ive-ways-to-use-nfc-with-your-android-device/

That seems freaking cool as hell! I would love to have one of those NFC stickers on the nightstand by the bed so it auto mutes the phone at night, or have one in the car so it turns Bluetooth on. The Wifi thing blew my mind!

Very cool technology...gotta admit I'm a bit bummed that Apple hasn't jumped on board yet, I wonder why the hell not. Guess they are saving it for a future release so there will be something to really wow people since most people aren't even aware of the techonology right now.

2. Surrylic macrumors regular

Yeah my mind is blown. Paying for stuff is one of the least interesting possibilities haha, I'm surprised that it's the only one anyone talks about

3. lw9090 macrumors regular

NFC was also hacked big time at the black hat convention. Hackers can walk by and steal everything for your phone. Would not have wanted to be in Vegas that week.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Doesn't make much sense. I'm automatically connected to wifi whenever I get home and to Bluetooth whenever I get in the car. No NFC needed. Are Androids really that dumb?

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Same here. Really don't understand the concept yet.

6. iregret macrumors 6502

I don't really know why apple didn't include NFC. I have read that there are lots of security issues with it though.

Perhaps battery management? Waiting for the next iPhone? Who knows, but it does seem like people are really getting caught up in the fact that it wasn't included.

7. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

It's the only thing people talk about because those people have no idea what NFC can actually be used for. And since Apple doesn't have it, the loudest people talking at the Fanboys that have to justify the fact that we don't have it by saying paying for stuff with it is stupid.

WAY more can be done with it, but when you bring that fact up the mouth pieces that say NFC is stupid....they go away and have nothing to say.

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I think the idea is that NFC hasn't really taken off yet, and people suspect Apple will be the ones to really make the technology succeed.

9. oBMTo macrumors 6502

Are iPhone users really that dumb to leave wifi and Bluetooth constantly on?

10. iregret macrumors 6502

Yup.

11. iFanboy Guest

NFC = NO F ******** G CHANCE

It's an insecure technology that has limited practical application at the moment.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why not? I'd want to be connected to wifi and Bluetooth whenever I'm in those places.

Are you going to be dumb enough to leave a NFC sticker in your parents and relatives' houses?

13. oBMTo macrumors 6502

14. matttye macrumors 601

No they can't. NFC isn't transmitting anything unless the screen is turned on and the phone is unlocked. You would also need to be in an app that's transmitting something at the time.

Sensationalist articles probably don't report on these parts though. ;)

15. oBMTo macrumors 6502

I guess iPhone users are that dumb.

16. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

Slanting the actual use of it doesn't help.

Any of the smart phones can do what you said. But they can't do what is actually happening.

Let's use your example of the car. You get in and tap the NFC tag. The phone then automatically without you having to do anything, turns OFF wifi, turns on bluetooth, turns the volume up, loads pandora and your GPS app.

That way you don't have bluetooth all the time on, wifi is not on all the time, there is a battery benefit. God knows we all want better battery life.

These are small benefits but when iOS went to wireless sync it was the greatest damn thing since BACON on this forum. Is it really that hard to plug the phone in to sync? You still have to plug it in to charge.

17. matttye macrumors 601

Not dumb, but the battery life isn't as good as with iOS. Turning off Bluetooth and WiFi when not in use has a noticeable effect on battery life.

There are other uses for NFC though, check this one out:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/0...ating-simple-tasks-with-an-nfc-capable-phone/

Here's a summary of how it can assist from that article:

"As you can see, my phone is a key part of my morning ride. After hitting my bike tag, I drop my phone into my bar-mounted phone holder (review coming soon), turn on my Bluetooth earbuds, and I'm ready to hit the pavement. I don't like to be bothered with notifications or calls (but I still want to know when they're incoming), so those volumes get dropped.
    With all of the volumes, brightness, and radios just the way I like them, Move! Bike Computer is launched and I start to record my ride. What used to take several minutes to set up before I got started with my morning workout is now just a simple tap. And it's awesome."

18. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't want my BT on all the time because it drains the battery (maybe not much, but it does make a difference), so when I get home, I'd like it if it shut off automatically. Another feature, like I said, is putting the phone in Silent mode...not just vibrate, but silent, and doing that now is annoying...going thru a bunch of steps.

Wasn't aware of the security concerns, and maybe that's why Apple hasn't jumped on board yet, but to say it has limited uses doesn't make sense, especially if you read the link I posted.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Good luck buying a wad of NFC stickers and asking people if it's okay for you to leave a sticker in their houses without coming across as dumb and intrusive.

20. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Never gets turned off. If I wanted to tweak toggles all day so my phone doesn't die in 10 minutes I would have kept buying android phones.

21. matttye macrumors 601

You can buy NFC keychains, or stick them to a bag or something. You don't need to leave them in someone's house.

That's the point. You don't have to tweak toggles all day, the NFC tags do it for you!

----------

The "security concerns" are not very concerning. NFC only transmits a distance of about 2cm and only when the screen is turned on and the phone is unlocked.

22. ColdCase macrumors 68030

My 3gs phone does this now without tapping. If I need a charge I plug in the charging cable.

NFC is a solution looking for a problem, not getting any traction anywhere. IMHO folks that have invested in the tech are throwing one marketing spin out there after another.

Those marketers looking to take sales away from apple like to spin the NFC thing, and thats about the only thing keeping NFC alive :).

23. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

You're 3GS phone does all those things without you do anything? How?

I can't believe how resistant people are to this technology and how they can't see the benefits, that's crazy. Like someone mentioned earlier, was Wifi sync necessary or was that a solution looking for a problem? After all we could always just plug the phone into the computer to sync.

24. oBMTo macrumors 6502

Like 3G or LTE is a solution looking for a problem? What are you going to say when Apple implements NFC in the 5S? :rolleyes: