Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the weekend, an image of a fake email circulated on Reddit which appeared to claim Pokémon GO for Apple Watch had been abandoned. A subsequent report, citing "a source with knowledge of the plans," said development of the companion Apple Watch app had indeed been shelved.

pokemon-go-apple-watch-1.jpg

Pokémon GO developer Niantic confirmed the image in the Reddit post "is not real" in a statement sent to TechCrunch and Recode, and debunked the subsequent report in the process by noting development of the companion Apple Watch app continues, as it has since before the app was announced in September.

Pokémon GO also confirmed on Twitter that the Apple Watch app is "coming soon."
Pokémon Go for Apple Watch is coming soon. Stay tuned. - Pokémon GO (@PokemonGoApp) December 17, 2016
Rene Ritchie at iMore, citing "a couple sources," believes Pokémon Go for Apple Watch is "still on track for a 2016 launch."
#pokemongo for Apple Watch is still on track for release. Looking forward to it! (Checked with a couple sources. They're all excited.) - Rene Ritchie 🖇 (@reneritchie) December 17, 2016
Ritchie believes Apple and Niantic are likely taking the time to ensure Pokémon GO's integration with the Apple Watch is done right.
So where is it? There's a certain amount of complexity involved in making Pokémon Go for Apple Watch. It ties into both the Apple Watch Workout system, which means you'll get credit towards your activity goals while out catching Pokémon, and HealthKit, which syncs all the information. The latter especially has some of the most involved privacy systems Apple has ever deployed, and my guess is Niantic and Apple are taking the time to make sure all that integration is done right.
Pokémon GO for Apple Watch was unveiled at an Apple media event in September. Skip to the 25:20 mark in the video below.

The app will provide Pokémon GO players with at-a-glance information, such as how far they need to walk to hatch a particular egg. The main screen shows the player's current level and XP remaining to get to the next. Pokémon GO walks are recorded in Workouts, helping players achieve their Activity goals.

Article Link: Niantic Says Pokémon GO for Apple Watch is 'Coming Soon' Following Cancellation Hoax

vertsix

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2015
I own an Apple Watch and I have mixed feelings about it.

Part of me really wants it. Sounds something cool and convenient to have, considering I play Pokémon GO on a regular basis.

But I also don't want my Apple Watch's battery life to be worse than it already is...

So I don't know.

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
Played some today. Just been too busy to play. I was wondering when they would release this. I've got my Apple Watch Series 2. This will make it easier to keep playing without having my phone out all the time.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I own an Apple Watch and I have mixed feelings about it.

Part of me really wants it. Sounds something cool and convenient to have, considering I play Pokémon GO on a regular basis.

But I also don't want my Apple Watch's battery life to be worse than it already is...

So I don't know.
The app will allow you to use your daily steps toward hatching eggs so you don't need to have the app open to do so and so your daily step count doesn't go to waste.

Cankoda

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
Canada
The app will allow you to use your daily steps toward hatching eggs so you don't need to have the app open to do so and so your daily step count doesn't go to waste.
If that's true that'd be awesome, cause from what I was reading I assumed it was only recorded while in a workouts, but I really hope what you said is also the case!

Reactions: g-7

wigby

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Didn't know people still played this game
Congratulations. Your now tied with "If Steve Jobs were alive..." posts for most overused and useless on the Internet.
[doublepost=1482042445][/doublepost]
Exercise or not, still a game for 12 year olds.
But all of those 12 year olds have parents who buy them their expensive devices. These same parents also played Pokemon decades ago. The point is that these kinds of successes don't happen just because a bunch of kids are into a fad. Real fads last only days or weeks and do not spawn billion dollar industries overnight.

Reactions: GrumpyMom

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
The fad died already, 4-6 weeks after launch. Now only the true nerds remain, and even truer nerds will use it on their :apple:watch.

The people I know who play this game are very casual gamers, all of them professionals. But they live in cities, and have pokestops all around them.

As far as the "fad" goes, it's still got some absurd number of active players, 30 million I believe.
[doublepost=1482044412][/doublepost]
Exercise or not, still a game for 12 year olds.

Show me a game that isn't for 12 year olds? Games are games, you either have fun or you don't.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
As a Pokémon fan I say this needs to die, it is a pitiful excuse of a game.

In the 90's we had Digimon battlers that used wireless communication to allow two trainers to battle against each other. They were awesome for the time, yet we still struggle with how to do a proper Pokemon game now.

All they had to do is a short narrative. You get a starter Pokemon and go out in to the world. Wild Pokemon you can catch and add to your team of 6, take down for Pokémon XP and a degree of coin. If you already have 6 the Pokemon is Sent to your PC. You encounter other trainers you can battle their Pokémon for XP and a share of each other's coin.

To heal Pokemon, buy supplies like Poké balls, access your PC you go to a Poké Stop where you then get these options open up.

You can through a website set up local teams, guilds and gyms. Gyms are locations which would be a Poké Stop but have a Pokémon trainer there. When someone wants to battle the gym leader for high level XP they can message the gym leader to arrange or people can see when the leader has logged in on their phone as being at the gym.

The gym leader can even choose to battle for their position as gym leader.

This is not difficult for a large company to of implemented. But all we got was a glorified Pokemon Snap.

Pass !

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
The Watch app might change things, when you go for a run it's meant to work with your fitness tracker and hatch Pokemon.

But if you are going to need to be looking at your watch screen the whole time (with the app open) to catch anything then there is no point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.