Nicest Car (That you've ridden in)?

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Well, i started this thread after an experience today. My girlfriend's Dad is a very wealthy guy, and I was over at her house today. We were hanging out in her room, and her Dad yells for me to come to the garage because he "needs to talk to me".

So, I go out there, and he's like "well, I want to show you that i'm not an old fart, so check this out". He points to his 2005 Aston Martin Vanquish S. He hands me the keys, and says "I bet you a million bucks you can't start it". So, I get in, put in the key, turn it, nothing.

No clutch, but there is an engine start button. I press it, nothing. Car isn't in Neutral (it is the formula 1 tiptronic style), so I press the (-) shifter, and try to start it, nothing.

He explains that I need to press both paddles, the car goes in neutral, I start it.

Wow.

So he asks me if I want to drive it. I couldn't (I COULD, but I was nervous, this is a $300,000+ dollar car), so he takes me for a test drive. Wow, fast, really really fast.

We get back, he says "any time you want to drive it, let me know". I will be driving it soon, that car is AMAZING. i still can't get over it.

I guess he owned the 2003, but it had problems, so he sold it, and bought the new 2005.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Well, my dad works for a car dealership, and gets a dealer car, so he can bring home anything he wants off the lot :D

He's brought home some pretty awesome Jags, as well as a Porche they brought in for a trade :eek:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Dodge Viper Venom 650
RUF CTR2
Audi RS6 (sorry but they are dang fast for a sedan, and great cars)
BMW; 850, E30 M3, E36 M3 Lightweight

Coolest (to me) cars I have sat in,

Ferrari: Enzo, Modena, Super America, F430
Lamborghini: Diablo, Merluciago, Gallarado
Porsche: Carrera GT, 911 GT2
Maserati MC12
Bugatti EB 16
Aston Marton DB9, DB7, DB7 LM, and Vanquish

Many more, but these are "off topic" anyway :D Being a member of Automotive media has its perks :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
840quadra said:
Dodge Viper Venom 650
RUF CTR2
Audi RS6 (sorry but they are dang fast for a sedan, and great cars)
BMW; 850, E30 M3, E36 M3 Lightweight

Coolest (to me) cars I have sat in,

Ferrari: Enzo, Modena, Super America, F430
Lamborghini: Diablo, Merluciago, Gallarado
Porsche: Carrera GT, 911 GT2
Maserati MC12
Bugatti EB 16
Aston Marton DB9, DB7, DB7 LM, and Vanquish

Many more, but these are "off topic" anyway :D Being a member of Automotive media has its perks :)

I think we have a winner, folks! Thanks for playing... good night!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
MacAztec said:
So he asks me if I want to drive it. I couldn't (I COULD, but I was nervous, this is a $300,000+ dollar car), so he takes me for a test drive. Wow, fast, really really fast.

I know the feeling, I was offered the chance to drive the Venom 650 (650 WHP with a 7 speed custom gearbox) but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Acceleration of that car had my back hurting for a day or 2, and made my 230hp car feel really, really really, slow for about a month :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
840quadra said:
I doubt it, I know there are others in my freelance profession on here, and many who can actually "afford" some of these cars!

My wife's ex-sister-in-law (who she's still friends with) married a guy worth ~$500M. I've seen his collection. Ridden in them? No. But he loves them and absolutely can afford them.

Bastard. ;)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
2001 Ferrari 360 Modena mmmm i still remember the roar of her engine, and the feeling of doing 0-60 so fast that i forgot i was still on surface streets... pure and total adrenaline rush at every push of the pedal and shift of her gears...

My neighbors have a Aston Martin DB8, its a beautiful car.

Ed

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
jsw said:
My wife's ex-sister-in-law (who she's still friends with) married a guy worth ~$500M. I've seen his collection. Ridden in them? No. But he loves them and absolutely can afford them.

Bastard. ;)
As long as he takes care of them, knows how to drive them, and "uses them" (meaning some legal track time) I am super happy for anyone that can afford such cars.

It is the others (the Posers, the people who buy because others like them) that drive me nuts! :eek:

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
The nicest car I've ever sat in is a Cadillac Cien. I was interviewing the designer and he let me sit in it. I think it cost GM $5 million to make.

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's a mid-engine V12, scissor-door two-seater.

link

I've also sat in a Maybach 62.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
I can't wait for this weekend, I am going to take him up on his offer of letting me drive the car.

This guy is worth quite a bit, probably around $5 billion, he almost bought the Redskins (football team) a few years back.

Maybe I can convince him to get the new BMW M6?

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
MacAztec said:
I can't wait for this weekend, I am going to take him up on his offer of letting me drive the car.

This guy is worth quite a bit, probably around $5 billion, he almost bought the Redskins (football team) a few years back.

Maybe I can convince him to get the new BMW M6?
5 Billion, ask for a new car, a bugatti veyron :eek:

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
The nicest one ... uhmmm

While I've played with Alfa's, a Corvette, Firebird, Porche's, Ferrari, et al. But in the classic golden oldie favorite, a Rolls Royce Phantom. Streets ahead of even the Mercedes 600 Pullman.
Kevin
aka Grey Beard

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
When we went to visit my brother-in-law and his family in London a few years ago, he sent a driver to pick us up at the airport, and the car was a BMW sedan of some kind. I've also ridden in my co-worker's Jaguar once.

I guess I'm just into fancy cars as much as I should be. ;)