Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnat

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2005
There they go

While everyone argued about whether or not Nike uses sweatshops to manufacture their shoes, Apple announced the new promotion.

As already said, it looks like a pretty sweet deal. Of course, since my last apple came from Shanghai, I can't really complain if Nike outsources...

I'll wait until they make it backwards compatible with the 3G ipods and then have the shoes at the local outlet mall...

I have to say that it was a sweet deal though; a lot of the iPod's popularity comes from runners who don't like CD skips. The Nano just adds to that.

The next promotion should be Apple/Schwinn. There's something into which I could buy.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
DTphonehome said:
Unless the sensor is smart enough to know what shoes you are wearing, I don't see why you can't use this with any shoe. The only thing special about the Nike+ shoe is that it has a little pocket beneath the insole for the sensor. I'm sure you can clip it on to your shoe another way.

Yep - this will add to the iPod ecosystem in a big way! I'm sure we'll see *loads* of third party sensor clips/suits/jackets/wotsits over the next few months.

:)

RodC
--
http://www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel

gerlitzappel

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2004
South Florida
regardless of the sweatshops, it is an ingenious idea. How does it know your pace? Is it simply a pedometer? That would be very unimpressive. I want something that small that works using GPS.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iGary said:
Too bad Nike makes crap running shoes.

well, they used to. Their shoes have actually improved a lot in the last few years. I still can't wear 'em because Nikes are all narrow and my foot is on the wide side of average, but while I never would have worn Nikes in the past, I might now, if I could.

As a runner and an apple enthusiast, I must say that I find this really cool. I have Nike's own speed and distance monitor that goes on your shoe and talks to your watch, and that's always worked well for me. I'd definitely give this new "sport kit" a try... again, if Nike shoes fit me. Very interesting news, this. :)

Over Achiever said:
It's essentially a pedometer, decently accurate. It uses an accelerometer apparently.

Assuming it's the same tech as the Nike SDM I've owned for years, then it's quite accurate as compared to either a car's odometer or http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ (which is fabulous, btw). Nike's tech is usually dead on to within a couple hundredths of a mile over a long run. I wouldn't use to to do measured intervals if I really needed to hit an exact pace (say, repeat 400s), but for regular runs, it's way better than decently accurate.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Product-wise, it sounds like a decent deal. It's not that expensive, and it sounds like a way for health nuts to monitor their workout. I did notice that the battery in the little shoe transmitter isn't replaceable, though--that's kind of stupid, even if perhaps necessitated by sealing issues.

As for Nike as a company, here's why I don't like them: They are a marketing company, plain and simple. They "make" nothing--their shoe production is subcontracted to low-cost Asian manufacturers, and I don't even know if they do product design. They make massive markups on their products (probably 80-90%, yet why don't they net more money? Because the bulk of the profit made on each pair of shoes or piece of branded gear goes into advertising--commercials, sponsorship, branding, celebrity endorsement deals. Nike people have been quoted as saying as much during the 90s.

That is, you pay $90 for a pair of not-so-good Nike shoes that cost maybe $10 to make for one reason, and one reason only--most of the rest of your $90 goes to advertising so that people who look no farther than what Michael Jordan tells them is cool will think Nike is cool.

Personally, if I'm going to buy shoddy shoes produced by underpaid and poorly treated workers, I'm at least going to get the economic benefit of it and buy a no-name brand for $20 or $30, instead of giving $70 of my hard-earned money to pay rich sports stars and buy ad time just so my shoes have a Swosh that says "corporate America has paid to make you think I'm cool".

If you want to get into the raw economics of it, there's also something to be said about production in the country of sale, since it leads to reinvestment in the economy and, on the grand scale, better wages and conditions for all in that country.

Personally, though, I wear Red Wings, which as far as I know are made in the US. At the very least, they're built to last, and the soles are replaceable--it's nice to be able to re-sole a pair of shoes instead of chucking a perfectly good, broken-in leather upper just because you wore out the sole.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
BRLawyer said:
Labor standards are a matter of national politics, and companies just do what they legally can in each location...lower wages are better than NO wages...period.

yeah, and physical abuse along the lines of rape and murder are also an economic issue, right? thought so. :rolleyes:

nike's running shoes aren't highly regarded, but perhaps something like this will be translated to other things as well. overall i think it's not a bad thing, but doesn't do much for me either.

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
iGary said:
Too bad Nike makes crap running shoes.

On the contrary I think they make GREAT running shoes. I've been using thier running sneakers for years and the innovation only gets better. This is a cool product, I will defnitely pick it up.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
I wonder if the range will expand to things like cycle computers / rowing machines / HR monitors all syncing with your iPod so you can store you workout info. Not being a runner a pedometer is no biggie but a cycle computer that synced with my Mac to record workouts would be cool.

And to take it a step(sic) further what if you had say a rowing machine at home in front of your Mac and your iPod syncing from rower to Mac, you could have rowing races with other MR users!

cypherpunks

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
Nike actually just got certified by FLA in 2003

I actually did some research about this recently to find out if Nike changed their ways. 5 years ago their contract companies in Indonesia were reported by the AFL/CIO chapter there as having by far the most complaints.

Nike now has an entire department staffed with many people whose job it is to make sure their contract factories meet the Fair Labor Association's standards and in 2003 they received the status of "Participating Company." You can read the most recent report on them at the FLA website.

In case you think the FLA is just some front company for corporate interest, please check their board of directors:

http://www.fairlabor.org/all/about/board.html

While I think any corporation with unfair labor practices should be slammed, companies with good ones, or companies who reform their practices should be rewarded and praised. I'm sure it feels good to slam the big guys but make sure it's still warranted instead of retaining an outdated knee-jerk reaction.

Reference:
http://www.fairlabor.org/2004report/companies/participating/index.html

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
" thanks to the Nike+iPod sensor and receiver, iPod nano also transfers your workout data to the Internet as soon as you sync. Connect your iPod, and iTunes takes over, automatically syncing all your run data and sending it to nikeplus.com."

-interesting promotional strategy to bring people to your website and increase viewer traffic.

-What i'm curious about is the wireless factor, who's technology is being used for this, apple's? If so then we might see wireless integration in new ipod's soon!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
gerlitzappel said:
regardless of the sweatshops, it is an ingenious idea. How does it know your pace? Is it simply a pedometer? That would be very unimpressive. I want something that small that works using GPS.

I wouldn't expect a super cool gadget. It is likely a pedometer and a clock. It can sense you pace, and dynamically changes the distance per count based off your movement, i.e. walking= smaller distance per step, running, longer step, or reverse. I wouldn't expect a GPS like device.

I am afraid of magic shoes since Porky Pig was sentenced to wear The Green Dancing Shoes in The Wearing of the Grin.

From Wearing of the Grin
O'Nike: O'Jobs!
O'Jobs: What is it, O'Nike?
O'Nike: He's after our pot of gold, he is. Oh-ho-ho-ho!
O'Jobs: The devil you say, O'Nike.
O'Nike: The devil I don't. O'Jobs!
O'Jobs: And *now* what is it, O'Nike?
O'Nike: We must hide the pot of gold, we must, we must...

Run away from the shoes now.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Eniregnat said:
I wouldn't expect a super cool gadget. It is likely a pedometer and a clock. It can sense you pace, and dynamically changes the distance per count based off your movement, i.e. walking= smaller distance per step, running, longer step, or reverse. I wouldn't expect a GPS like device.

I am afraid of magic shoes since Porky Pig was sentenced to wear The Green Dancing Shoes in The Wearing of the Grin.

Run away from the shoes now.

I like how they even let you sync & analyze your workouts on your computer.
I may end up getting one of these, I am trying to get in better shape and this setup looks pretty cool. I just hope the shoes aren't insanely expensive. *smacks himself in the face, "Must resisssssst, brainwash by Apple!"*

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
sounds pretty cool to me...

and she's rather hot...

Attachments

• runninggirl.jpg
    runninggirl.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 157

fblack

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
AJ Muni said:
On the contrary I think they make GREAT running shoes. I've been using thier running sneakers for years and the innovation only gets better. This is a cool product, I will defnitely pick it up.

-Used to be, great. I switched to NewBalance because Nike & Reebok became incredily inconsistent with their sizes.

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2004
For all the negativity on the boards, I think this is a pretty cool product. Maybe not something i would personally use, but a product that wirelessly communicates with your iPod Nano for only 29.99 is pretty amazing.

I wont get into the whole debate over nike being a horrible company or not, but regardless, this is a pretty awesome idea. I just hope that there is some way to plant this in regular shoes... maybe clip on somewhere, or could other manufactureres start making a little niche for it in their shoes and call it something else? Does the shoe have any part of it, or is the little pocket for the button the only difference in shoes?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
corywoolf said:
I like how they even let you sync & analyze your workouts on your computer.
I may end up getting one of these, I am trying to get in better shape and this setup looks pretty cool. I just hope the shoes aren't insanely expensive. *smacks himself in the face, "Must resisssssst, brainwash by Apple!"*

wow, that does seem pretty neat, and while i don't run a ton, i could see how runners would enjoy tracking how far they've gone in the last month, 6 months, etc... cool

also, good point raised about how the high visibility of nike's sweatshops has actually caused them to have to clean things up, whereas smaller companies can slip under the radar.

feffer37

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2004
East Lansing, MI
I can see it all now ....

Just you all wait - Kobe & Lebron's shoe sales will be eclipsed when Steve Jobs comes out with his #84 running shoes. When those hit the streets, it will be h-u-g-e! Air Jobs anyone? :)

On the product itself. I heard the CNBC report on XM last night, and this is WAY cooler and more practical than what they were talking about. I'm very pleased. Looks like I'll have a good excuse to get rid of my old New Balances and get some new running shoes - oh wait, if Nike didn't specialize in making shoes too narrow for the majority of mankind to wear :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.