Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

204558-ipodletsrock62_500.jpg

With the introduction of the 2nd generation iPod Touch, Apple revealed that Nike+iPod was built-in. As a result, new iPod Touch owners need only to buy the shoe transmitter in order to use the running-aide.

Unfortunately, existing iPod Touch owners and iPhone owners will be unable to use the new software due to a lack of the proper receiver. Nike+ uses a "proprietary low-power 2.4 GHz radio" and the existing dock-attachment is not compatible with the iPhone:
Owners of the first-gen iPod touch, the iPhone and iPhone 3G are locked out, because of the technology required to connect the device to the receiver in your shoe without using the standard dock connector dongle. Apple also said that even if you shove in the dongle to the unsupported devices, nothing will happen
We would hope that Apple would release a version compatible with the iPhone, but there has been no suggestion that they will.

Nike+iPod is a system that allows runners to track their running process through the use of a special in shoe sensor.

Article Link

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm sure many will not be happy about this, but IMO the nano is a MUCH better choice for running anyway. Actually, what I use is a nike+ sportband, and a shuffle when I want music. Minimum obtrusiveness. :)

Comment

Kinsella217

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2002
My official response

As the owner of a first gen iPhone and a gift-given Nike+ iPod kit, my official response is...

*sad, disappointed, and frustrated sigh*

Comment

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
that...is...a...bummer!!

I remember the first picture ad for an iPhone I saw was one strapped to someone's arm as they ran. I do that. I'd love to do it with Nike+

Comment

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Too bad. I can see using it with the iPhone, but not the iPod Touch. Seems Apple got this one backwards.

Comment

TheManOfSilver

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2004
Canada
OK, now I'm officially pissed. I have an iPhone 3G, and I've been holding off getting rid of my old nano until they release Nike+ for iPhone. Now it's released, but only for the iPod Touch???

Why are iPhone users (who now make up a HUGE chunk of Apple's revenue) being treated like second class citizens??? :mad:

Comment

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Seems Apple really has gone mad....
Now they're reversing things out and paying more attention to...... iPod Touch!

Comment

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Why are iPhone users (who now make up a HUGE chunk of Apple's revenue) being treated like second class citizens??? :mad:

I think a fair number of touch users felt the same way before today.

I don't think Apple went into this cycle thinking, "wouldn't it be great to include the radio only in the touch and not the iPhone?" More likely was, "hey, we finally got Nike to agree to building in. Let's toss it in the touch since it's our next release, and see how it goes. If it works, we can add it to the iPhone."

I'm just surprised (unless space was at that much of a premium) they didn't build it into the nano as well. That would have been fantastic.

Comment

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Yea I'm pretty pissed about this. When Nike+ first came out (actually only like 3 years ago with the first nano), I bought a 1st gen nano, the Nike+ kit, special order Nike+ shoes from the Nike website, and the Nike+ armband. I really enjoy using those, but the nano is starting to die/doesn't have the battery it used to. I now have an iPhone 3G, and was waiting for the Nike+ solution to go with that. Now they're telling me I have to buy another nano or encouraging me to buy an iTouch? And have to remember to carry this extra ipod along with me when I'm stopping at the gym? No. Apple, I am not buying an iTouch when I already have the iPhone. I guess eventually I'll have to buy another nano to keep this working, but this is just ridiculous. I wanted ONE iPod to carry around, not two.

Comment

happydude

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2006
a gasping dying planet
i honestly have no idea why anyone would want to jog with an iphone or touch strapped to their arm. the thing is too big and clunky to be practical for running. it'll just bounce and after a few miles bruise too much. isn't this what the nano is for?!

Comment

kimble3

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Nike+

Actually, I was more surprised that they added the Nike+ receiver to the Touch than disappointed by it. In my mind, the iPhone and the Touch are too big for runners to be lugging around but the Nano is just right. Also, I wonder if you can accomplish the same thing on the iPhone with GPS without the aid of the foot transmitter.

Also, my first reaction when I heard about it was I wonder what other products are possible that could use the same receiver? I mean, why build it in for just one specific application that not everyone uses? Will developer be allowed to create their own applications that use it?

Comment

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Suwanee, GA
iPhone is no longer "the best iPod ever made" :(
It never has been IMHO. That's just marketing speak for a sorry implementation that is nowhere nearly as good as a Nano or Classic. I know, I have had them all, and the iPhone is the worst of the bunch (for what I want in an iPod anyway).

Comment

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
OK, now I'm officially pissed. I have an iPhone 3G, and I've been holding off getting rid of my old nano until they release Nike+ for iPhone. Now it's released, but only for the iPod Touch???
Instead of relying on a step-meter, aren't there apps that rely on the built-in GPS and accelerometer to keep track of your run even more accurately? It sounds fairly easy to write an app to record your location and time every couple seconds and give you details such as time and distance in the end. Such an app could even export that location data into Google Earth if you want to map out a hike. Your music could keep playing in the background, just as it does with some games. I am surprised if nobody has written such an app, yet.

This would not help first gen Touch users, but iPhone 3G should have other even better solutions.

Comment

saxman

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2004
Maybe Apple is just spreading the frustration around (-; Honestly, I baby my iPhone too much to run with it - mainly because I don't want to have to pay $400 if I drop it. But if someone else wants to, that's up to them. It's strange that Apple is making so many thing not cross-compatible

Comment

dohspc

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2008
Plano, TX
Add me to the pissed list. I use the nike+ sportsband and have been waiting. Like I'm gonna go buy another ipod for that though give me a break. I know they could allow the existing sports kit to work with the iphone geez come on already.

Comment

notredewey

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
As a 1st gen touch user I am pretty upset they didn't find a way to add this for us. All they said was that Nike+ was in the new software. To my surprise after updating to 2.1 it wasn't there and then I saw this post. That's pretty shady, I was looking forward to this feature, especially after the rumors that something like this would be made.

Comment

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Comment

stratmancj

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
i'm sure they will release a new receiver for the dock and the next version of the iphone will have it built in. but seriously, 2.1 software is a bust, great, more battery, more stable ... but where are the big features, gps, push notifications were supposed to be here by september, what a let down

Comment

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
I'm not sure where all the talk of "too bulky" is coming from. I run every other morning with my iPod Touch strapped to my arm via a Belkin arm band. It certainly is not too big to use, and doesn't go flapping all around. It is always snug against my arm, and I have never even come close to having it fall off or drop.

I find it perfect because I can do this AND watch movies on airplane trips. Not to mention, as a med student, using it for calendar and note pad functions, as well as the Epocrates app is certainly a plus. I can't think of any device that I have ever owned previously that is this flexible. Sure, it isn't perfect, and the crashing/freezing application issue is starting to irritate me. However, without it, I would still be stuck with some sort of iPod/Palm combo which was far from ideal.

Comment

nlpamg

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Ahh! Double F-U to Apple today.

I refuse to buy a Touch when I have an iPhone 2G and 3G. But being able to use Nike+ with my iPhone would be quite welcome--I wouldn't have to buy anything else to replace my dying first gen Nano.

I agree that the Touch is too bulky to use for serious running (but I would have made do with my iPhone), so why doesn't the Nano have the built in reciever? Integrated Nike+ with the Nano would have been ideal.

I'm seriously fed-up with Apple (this combined with ****** iPhone software, no new MBP's or MBA's is seriously annoying). Perhaps I should just get a Nike Sportband and Zune and be done with it.

Steve Jobs (in has gay ass Levi's) can suck it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.