Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamerG

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2015
Does anyone have issues with the Nike app not playing the playlist you have chosen?

Sometimes it seems that it just starts playing random music from my iPhone and then the voice that comes through saying your mileage/pace/etc. stops completely. The run still is tracked and the watch updates, but I'm not getting the correct music.

Also does anyone know the proper way to start a run? If I press the big red button and sometimes it starts, and sometimes it doesn't. If I press start in the top left of the watch it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

I've gone on about 4 or 5 runs with the watch app and still haven't figured it out yet.

I've had the problem with the music stopping when the voiceover kicks in. I've got around this by turning off the voice feedback in the iPhone app and changing the settings so that the music isn't automatically paused when the run is paused (when I was finding that a voice would still say "workout paused / resumed" and the music would never come back on again).

I'm finding that if I try and play music through the Nike+ app is just stops after one song. Playing it through the music app is generally OK though, apart from having start it after starting the run on Nike+ (otherwise a voice says "workout started" and the music cuts out).

As for starting runs, I find it a bit slow to get going - which I think is the same problem you're having. Sometimes you just have to be a bit patient waiting for it to start I think.

browerjs

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I've had the problem with the music stopping when the voiceover kicks in. I've got around this by turning off the voice feedback in the iPhone app and changing the settings so that the music isn't automatically paused when the run is paused (when I was finding that a voice would still say "workout paused / resumed" and the music would never come back on again).

I'm finding that if I try and play music through the Nike+ app is just stops after one song. Playing it through the music app is generally OK though, apart from having start it after starting the run on Nike+ (otherwise a voice says "workout started" and the music cuts out).

As for starting runs, I find it a bit slow to get going - which I think is the same problem you're having. Sometimes you just have to be a bit patient waiting for it to start I think.

I used to just always have my nike app set to no music and then start whatever I was playing manually. I never had a problem with this, but I wanted the controls on the watch.

Do you find that hitting the red button to start on the watch just once will eventually start the run? I tend to hit it several times, until it says "Starting".

You know you can manually add a run to Nike. That's what I did this week when I tested out the activity app (which I think is a lot better actually).

I am looking forward to trying out the coach feature though. I have a training program starting in just under a month. Does it give you instructions during interval workouts?

Unfortunately there are no indicators of any sort of when to speed up or slow down.

I wish there were a way for Nike+ to just automatically pull from the exercise.app. I don't want to manually add it every day...

As much as I hate to lose my years of history (and the coach), I think it might just be easier to switch to the exercise app for simplicity. The main thing holding me back is if/when a full SDK is released later this year, then all/most my reservations will likely be solved.

KenB

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2014
Portland, Oregon
Thanks for the thread and information. I'm still waiting for my watch to arrive, but have been using Nike+ Running for several years, so I'm very interested.

Apple has announced that there will be a full SDK/Native Watch Apps available in the fall, for iOS9, so I have high hopes that Nike will have a fully functional/independent watch app by Q4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.