Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctaSfink

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2016
Running is a great exercise, but if you're planning on building a life-long health regimen, running every day probably isn't the best choice for most people. Biking, swimming, rowing, etc., along with strength training should be used in rotation to not only workout the entire body in multiple capacities, but also to reduce the wear and tear associated with constantly doing the same thing day in and day out.

Running every day for 10 years will do wonders for your health, but once you start dealing with serious foot, shin, knee, hip, etc. problems, those 10 years mean absolutely nothing.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Running is a great exercise, but if you're planning on building a life-long health regimen, running every day probably isn't the best choice for most people. Biking, swimming, rowing, etc., along with strength training should be used in rotation to not only workout the entire body in multiple capacities, but also to reduce the wear and tear associated with constantly doing the same thing day in and day out.

Running every day for 10 years will do wonders for your health, but once you start dealing with serious foot, shin, knee, hip, etc. problems, those 10 years mean absolutely nothing.

This depends on distance, I run at least 1 mile a day. It's a bit of a myth that it's bad for your knees, it's only bad if you have conditions such as arthritis. But in fact studies have shown that it helps prevent arthritis, heart attacks and so on, it also helps improve mood and fight mental issues such as depression.

Reactions: jhfenton

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

agreed

guy at work his knees are shot due to too much running so he now cycles

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Ironic thing is... Running is not a good exercise for your body.

Pretty much true.

At the very least, you should run with perfect, not over-used running shoes, and never on asphalt.

But walking, coupled with lifting weights is a much healthier exercise and the best natural anti-age measure.

In general, bodies and faces of compulsive runners are the worst publicity for that sport: too skinny, unhealthy just by the looks. Their bodies literally eat themselves.

Bunyak

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
This depends on distance, I run at least 1 mile a day. It's a bit of a myth that it's bad for your knees, it's only bad if you have conditions such as arthritis. But in fact studies have shown that it helps prevent arthritis, heart attacks and so on, it also helps improve mood and fight mental issues such as depression.
Self-selection eventually kicks in. If your body can handle it, you keep doing it and if it can't, you stop. A co-worker of mine did extreme endurance events (3x, 10x Ironmans) because his body could withstand pretty much anything.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Definitely!

I've been using Nike+ since it was launched 10 years ago. I was in my early 40s and out of shape, and Nike+ motivated me to get moving again. Since then, I've logged 25,000 Nike+ miles and am in the best shape — both physically and mentally — of my adult life.

If you're on the fence about Nike+ or buying an Apple Watch for its fitness features, just do it!

Okay, I turned 40 this past October, and you just motivated me! Life really can start again. I used to be super-fit when I was young, but lost it due to sitting at the computer too much. haha

jhfenton

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2012
Cincinnati, Ohio
I sent my Nike Watch 2 back to Apple today due to the touchscreen is fairly ropey at the end of run and plain old useless when even slightly damp. This won't happen but Apple need to put a couple of extra physical buttons on the watch if they want runners to ditch their Garmin's and use the Apple Watch instead.
Did you know that hitting both physical side buttons simultaneously will pause and restart a workout in progress? Apple added that in Watch OS 3. For me, that largely fixed the problem.

I have largely ditched my Garmin 910XT and older 310XT. I still use my 910XT for more accurate HR tracking during speed/tempo workouts. And I use my 310XT mounted on my bike for long bike rides. (But in both cases, I'm also wearing my Apple Watch.)

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015
To Juli Clover: Can you tell me, and those of us that are as bewildered as I am (if there are any as perplexed as me), as to what's so funny about these Kevin Hart videos? Seemed to be on par with Andrea Borman's YouTube videos in the 'funny' department

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Do you use the Nike Run Club on your watch exclusively? Thinking of switching to it from the Workouts app but heard it was pretty unreliable?
I do use Nike Run Club exclusively, but the most recent versions have all but stopped working on my iPhone 5s. The app was much easier to use before Nike added all the social-sharing features.

Okay, I turned 40 this past October, and you just motivated me! Life really can start again. I used to be super-fit when I was young, but lost it due to sitting at the computer too much. haha
I was in the same situation — in great shape when I was younger, but in poor condition at 40 because of a decade's worth of desk work and little exercise. Nike+ really did change my life. Glad my story served as a bit of motivation for you!

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Did you know that hitting both physical side buttons simultaneously will pause and restart a workout in progress? Apple added that in Watch OS 3. For me, that largely fixed the problem.

I have largely ditched my Garmin 910XT and older 310XT. I still use my 910XT for more accurate HR tracking during speed/tempo workouts. And I use my 310XT mounted on my bike for long bike rides. (But in both cases, I'm also wearing my Apple Watch.)
I will try these button out on my wife's watch 2 and if it works I'll order another Nike watch 2. I did talk to Apple before I sent the watch back and they didn't say a thing about your suggestion.

Reactions: jhfenton

Casimono

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2009
These are inane. Just average, and stupid. The previous CEO would not have run these.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The dealing with such problems are either hereditary or poor health eating stretching etc. Their not exclusively due to just running! I've done gymnastics rings, at age 5, track and field at a competitive provincial level at age 6-17, continued with soccer 16-21, I walk everyday over 1km and 2yrs of jiu-jitsu 40-42 and I. 43 now. Best times in track 100m 10.42, 400m 62seconds.

No bad news no bad feet, no spine issues and cartilidge is just fine. Then again my family on my fathers side has always been a basically active and in shape until their 60yrs old every one of the family members.

Health problems are not exclusively related to sports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.