Nikkei Now Agrees 'iPhone 8' Will Have Larger 5.8-Inch OLED Display

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 4, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apple will launch three new iPhone models in the fall, including one with a 5.8-inch OLED display and two with LCD displays, according to Nikkei Asian Review.

While this is a rumor we have heard several times already, the Japanese website previously said Apple would launch a 5-inch iPhone--not 5.8 inches--in 2017.

The relevant bit from today's report:
    Here's what it reported last October:
    5.8 inches is now the widely agreed upon screen size for Apple's first iPhone with an OLED display, but there is likely a reasonable explanation as to why Nikkei and two other reports suggested the model would have a 5-inch display.

Namely, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said while the so-called "iPhone 8" will indeed have a 5.8-inch display, the primary area will actually be 5.15 inches, while the rest of the space will be reserved for a wide row of virtual buttons. Kuo also said the device's physical dimensions will likely be similar to a 4.7-inch iPhone.

Given the size variation between the OLED panel, display area, and physical dimensions rumored, it remains unclear if Apple will officially categorize the "iPhone 8" as 5.1 inches, 5.2 inches, 5.8 inches, or a different size.

Apple is expected to remove the Home button to make room for the larger display without significantly increasing the device's overall footprint. The bezels surrounding the display are also expected to be removed, although a very slim top bezel could remain to house the front-facing camera and earpiece cutout.

While some reports have suggested Touch ID may be entirely replaced with biometric technologies such as iris or facial recognition or even ultrasound, Apple has filed a patent for a fingerprint sensor embedded underneath a touchscreen. Apple also has a patent for integrating the ambient light sensor into the display.

The much-rumored 5.8-inch iPhone, which has also been coined the "iPhone Pro" or "iPhone X" in honor of the smartphone's tenth anniversary this year, could cost upwards of $1,000 in the United States. It is expected to be announced in September alongside updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.

Article Link: Nikkei Now Agrees 'iPhone 8' Will Have Larger 5.8-Inch OLED Display

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

My hands need to grow before this next iPhone comes out, and my wallet

3. Schmidt84 macrumors newbie

4. Greenmeenie macrumors regular

Greenmeenie

If they call it the iPhone Pro I'm gonna puke. A Pro phone? Gimme a break. I love Apple, but that'd be prentious as hell.

5. Jimmy Bubbles macrumors regular

Jimmy Bubbles

Actually, this screen can be done with the same/current footprint of the iPhone 7+ once they drastically reduce or remove the "chin & forehead" portions of the bezel.

6. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

Seems like Apple is doing one big design loop - had a glass back then went to metal and now back to glass again. Lets hope it's Gorilla Glass or even sapphire as no doubt people will be concerned about the glass breaking upon it being dropped.

7. photoneffect macrumors newbie

Am I the only one who is shocked that they would put a smaller screen in their "pro" phone? I have gotten used to the 5.5" on the Plus and going smaller, even with the "virtual buttons", is a step backwards.

8. deadlystriker macrumors regular

deadlystriker

Great. This would look so sleek in black. It would definitely be difficult to get one on launch day.

9. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

In all honesty people are still shocked Apple still use LCD displays in 2017 however it appears Apple is getting the best out of this older technology as it's "customised" to their requirements.

10. gugy macrumors 68030

11. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

The move back to a glass back is to facilitate wireless (induction) charging, nothing to do with design or style for once.

12. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

can't we just stop all these BS "reports" from non-sources and actually WAIT until the event?

13. iMerik macrumors 6502

Says the person posting to MacRumors.

14. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Dude, you're literally on a website called MacRUMORS.

15. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

We'll have to rename as MacFacts! :D Or should I say iPhoneFacts…

16. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Noted. But my god, its sensationalism at its best. Even chip-gate was over-dramatacized to the umpteenth degree. its like enough already.

17. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

iPhone Special Edition?
    Wonder if this would be its new name?

18. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Another iPhone SE.

19. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

I have used an iPhone 4 with a bumper-type rim around it and its glass kept just fine. Sure, if one drops it on something nasty, it will still crack, but that same fall would also cause some damage to the current metal (aluminium) casing. Ironically, iPhone 5C (plastic) had the sturdiest body for me. All the rest needed some sort of protective gear to keep their looks.

20. venom600 macrumors 6502a

It's been proven since what, the iPhone 4, that rumors that are widely reported this far in advance (see Lightning Port, headphone jack removal, touch ID, waterproofing, etc) are usually correct to a very high degree.

21. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

My guess is "iPhone".

Just "iPhone".

Too lame?

22. cardfan macrumors 65816

It's called iphone higher tier price. I wouldn't think OLED meant triple digits but that's the primary goal.

23. mistasopz macrumors regular

24. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

I'm so used to my Plus. I'm really hoping it will have the same usable screen size

25. niji, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

niji macrumors 6502a

niji

i think it is more likely to be:
    official launch later than the other two LCD models, with an internet registration system.
    with inevitable manufacturing delays and the (always used) "fantastic sell out causing some delivery delays" , i think it is likely to be december or even january that you could walk into a store and buy it without a reservation.
    and thats just for the USA.
    international markets' launches will be very extended.
    whatever emerges as the most popular colour/GB combination even more delays.
    i also think that international markets would have the OLED model with maxed out specs not at "around USD 1000" that always gets reported, but more likely around USD 1,200.