Nilay Patel on CNBC talking about the Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dmaynard83, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2012

I felt like the news anchors really didn't take Nilay Patel's arguments seriously and a lot of disrespect IMO. At one point one of the news anchors asked Nilay if he polished the knob (really?).

On the Verge's podcast Nilay even goes on to say that one of the fox/CNBC news anchors ran down the hall yelling "IS THAT THE APPLE WATCH?" and took it from Nilay's hands and ran on set wanting to start his show until Nilay had to run on set and tell them he signed a NDA saying he can't let people hold it.

Anyways maybe Nilay took it too seriously because these people obviously aren't tech geeks.
  2. ghsNick macrumors 68030

May 25, 2010
    I'm an Apple Fanboy and I admit it. But these reporters have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Nilay did a great job at explaining the pros and cons and I'm more informed after making my pre order on what to expect.

When the lady reporter mentioned the Fitbit was a phenomenal technology wearable due to the phone alerts I almost lost it.
  3. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
  4. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2013
  5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Dec 29, 2010
    Nilay played it cool, but that was awful. I don't get why these shows invite guests on only to interrupt, talk over, and generally forget the reason the guest is there in the first place. What a bunch of idiots.

There's a lot of hate for Nilay here, but how do you watch that and think he's the one out of line?

To the contrary, that was an embarrassment to "news" everywhere. Just because you don't like his opinion doesn't mean their behavior is ok.
  6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2010
    "It's definitely another usb cable" 1:38

7. Dmaynard83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2012
    Agreed. In fact I think that Nilay likes the watch a lot but just wants full disclosure to the public on what their getting into.

After watching Nilay's reviews on the watch it made me want the watch even more. The news reporters were just really juvenile.
  8. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2006
    Aww, did he hurt your feeewings by not worshiping the Apple Watch?

9. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2008
    Nilay was a bore, but the anchors were atrocious.

The polish the knob thing was so juvenile. I'm glad Nikay tried to stay above it. I gotta give credit where credit is due.

Maybe that why he was such a bore. He just wanted to get out of there.
  10. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2011
    What he's saying isn't necessarily wrong. So many people are getting butt hurt for concerns that...

Let's just say that a lot of users her dogged on NFC payments, big phones, split screen multitaksing and 7'' tablets.

Those are legit concerns that he has. He's basically saying that it's both useful and equally frustrating. I expected that. At least I'll get some use out of it.

This happened with the 1st iPhone. The very first iPhone had a lot of issues. It didn't even have the app store.

We keep forgetting that we have a brand new product. It's going to take time for things to get right. But it's not an early adopter device. If you crave perfection, then you might be better off staying away from watches period. The apple watch and android wear seem to have similar concerns in terms of complaints.
  11. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

May 18, 2009
    Last anchor was annoying with the knob joke, but they kind of owned him on the charging point/taking off the watch at night. He really didn't have an intelligent response to defend his criticism that you have to charge at night, and the best he could come up with is that watches normally last for years? Hahaha. What does that even mean? He's now comparing how often you have to charge the Apple Watch to how often you charge a traditional watch? lol.

Hey Nilay, you ever hear of an automatic watch that needs to be wound? That needs a special apparatus to move it around when not in use? The Apple Watch sounds a lot more convenient than that.

And I wish he would stop wearing that studded cuff EVERYWHERE he goes. I get it. It's a fashion statement. You are trying to fit into "that" category. But you don't need to wear it 24/7. Mind the occasion.
  12. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2007
    Patel seems like an expert at polishing knobs.
  13. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

Jun 16, 2009
    San Diego
    I didn't like his verge review when he was acting out a scene in that bar and having the notifications bug him. How is that different from your phone ringing or vibrating? Obviously if you're engaged in a conversation, ignore the watch as you would your phone.
  14. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2008
    Omg I hate that thing. Is he a big Rocky fan? Lol

Yeah that part was pretty bad.

Well it would have been nice if the cable was a lightning cable that plugged into the charging puck. Then you could carry one cable if you chose to.
  15. matrix07 macrumors 601

Jun 24, 2010
    Good. :)
  16. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Jun 23, 2009
    He was being to critical of the watch and the news anchors were just letting him know it, that's all. The average person (non tech) people really care that you have to charge it every night. The only people who complain about that are people on Maceumors, and tech bloggers.

People aren't going to really care that the watch doesn't look good to fashion people.

They aren't going to care that the watch doesn't have native GPS or that it can't tell you your blood glucose level.

It's new, it's apple, and it's shiny.

Technology has never been about whether or not people actually need it. It's always been about whether or not we want it.

The verge guy, I know he gets paid to be critical, but that's what happens when you list a bunch of negatives the average person doesn't care about
  17. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    I have listened and followed Nilay since the Engadget days. I don't get the hate for him here, I think his review was one of the better ones. He came from a completely unbiased position and talked about the good and the bad. I am an Apple fanboy, but even I can admit he was spot on, not everyone needs it, and the category is still being figured out.

However, interviews like this is where The Verge misses Josh, Nilay doesn't have that "chatty morning talk show" personality, he can be fun and silly, but he gets down to business and is serious about things. Thats a good thing, if anyone ever listened to the Vergecast, you know why. I always enjoyed their podcasts with Josh because they were just fun to listen to, but if you actually wanted to hear them talk about tech, it wasn't a great deal.

It seems to me that the CNBC people just wanted somebody to come in and say how great and groundbreaking the Apple watch was, not an actually truthful opinion.
  18. Wiesenlooser macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2010
    No he wasnt. He called the Apple Watch stupid from day one. Without even having tried one.

Besides that. The whole "7-score" makes much more sense now since he said that he didnt agree with the higher Android wear scores on the site.
  19. Piggie macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    I agree strongly with 2 points he made.
    One positive, one negative.

1: It's another thing to have to think about & look after in your life, where a watch, like the TV remote was just there, and it worked, this is another item on your daily list of jobs to do, however small, it's still another thing.
    Also, as he pointed out ANOTHER cable to have to carry around.
    It's a shame they were not able. Perhaps one day. To have a system like Samsung uses for the GalaxyS6 that uses the upcoming universal charging system that's just going to be built into furniture.

2: I agree Apple will probably, and I say PROBABLY have justified the existance for such a product.

This will allow other companies to sell more, invest more in different smartphones, as it will stir up consumer interest PROBABLY, and this will always be a good this for consumer.

And also good for Apple, as what will PROBABLY happen is Apple makes the Apple watch. Then others start making their watches, Apple then gets lazy and left behind, then Apple are forced into making their watch better.

AKA a mirror of the SmartWatch arena
  20. donster28, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

donster28 macrumors 65816

Oct 5, 2006
    Great White North
    She did not say the Fitbit is phenomenal technology, she simply stated that having the Fiitbit alert her when her phone rings is phenomenal. Big difference.

At this day and age we are so used to picking up our smart phones for almost anything, so a lot of us, who still don't own smart watches, still have not experienced the benefit of having a wristwatch alert us of incoming calls, texts, etc.

I had the opportunity to own the Pebble Steel for months until I sold it, and let me tell you how delightful it was to be alerted and see information on my wrist when calls, emails or texts came in...never left home without it. I was marvelling at something so simple. That's why I can relate to the lady reporter and that's why, with the popularity of the Apple Watch, a lot of people will experience this 'simple' feature themselves and brag about it like it's the invention of the Hoverboard.
  21. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2010
    He seemed bias from the start of his media coverage on the watch. Why open up the segment complaining about how it needs another charging cable? Pretty standard for any electronic device to need a cable...

That being said, I respect him for knowledge and his arguments, but he comes across as a little too biased in this instance. I don't think he "gets" the usefulness to some for a smartwatch market. It's like having someone review a smartphone when they are content with their flip-phone. There are obvious benefits but they deem them unnecessary. Just my overall impression
  22. Piggie macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    It's like.

Person who'd had the watch..... Hi, I've had this device for a whole week now, got used to using it the pro's and con's of living with it, and what it does for me, and here are my honest feelings of it.

The others. We've not had one yet, only seen adverts, love Apple, and you don't know what you are talking about.

That alone makes them look stupid.
  23. tg81 macrumors member

Oct 9, 2014
    Except for the bar thing, I thought the review was pretty decent as well. But as others have said he did sort of get owned in the interview over the battery thing. The battery lasting only a day is a concern for a lot of people, but arguing it from the point of how annoying it is to charge it was silly, and the interviewers pounced quickly pointing out that for most people the only difference would be that they would sit the watch on the charger instead of on their bedside cabinet. He was left muttering about needing an extra usb cord or something.
  24. Piggie macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    I think people are dismissing the battery charging issue because they don't want to see it.

The typical reply is. "Oh well it's only 1 device and I charge my phone anyway"

Ok, that's fair enough.

So, let's add the TV Remote, Wireless computer mouse, Cordless home phone, And about 20 more items to the list of They Only Last 1 day.

Hey, it's only 1 more device.

People are not admitting it's a pain, they are excusing it.

I do not believe ANYONE WANTS to have to charge ANYTHING up each day.

I do not believe ANYONE WANTS to have ANOTHER device to have to worry about charging.

Everyone is just putting up with it.
  25. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2010
    It's like.

One person. If someone doesn't see a smartwatch as useful then why take their opinion with anything other than a grain of salt?

His review complained that he got a text and and it was distracting him from a meeting. Then turn off your watch, the same way you would a phone, if you're in a meeting?

He started out this segment complaining how you needed to charge it? They stated you need to charge a phone at night so what's the big deal pretty much.

I respect the guy, and he usually does nice work, but I feel he doesn't like the idea of a smartwatch in general. Just my impression on listening to him over the last few weeks