Nintendo announces the DSi

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by alebar14, Oct 1, 2008.

1. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

The Nintendo DSi

Ok, the DSi is announced. I figured I'd move this out of the speculation thread. Now here are all the specs I know.

-12% thinner
    -2 Cameras (At least one is 3MP)
    -No GBA slot
    -Larger 3.25in screens
    -Internal storage
    -SD card slot
    -DSi online store. Connect via wifi. Uses Wii Points (Now Nintendo Points)
    -Web browser
    -Improved audio
    -Music playback
    -Releasing November 1st ¥180,000 ($179). (Japan)
    -Black or White (ok... screw all the cool DS lite colors :\)
    -DSiWare pricing Free, 200,400, or 800.
    -Get 1000 free points with purchase of the DSi
    -New DS download stations, now Nintendo Zones, in Japan.

Well so far, compared to the DS Lite this is a HUGE upgrade. I'm glad I still have my launch day phat. I've been due for a new one :D.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

neogaf is screaming about VC support but I dunno if thats in the cards.

it's ugly with the camera and the gaps but.... **** YOU NINTENDO!! I HATE THAT YOU MAKE ME BUY YOUR DAMN PRODUCTS! I JUST BOUGHT A DAMN DS LITE AFTER A REGULAR DS! *sigh* but yeah.... day 1 confirmed.... *sob*

not till next year outside of Japan and ~$180, and ^ I read 0.3MP camera not 3mp. Smart idea no GBA slot, now they can sell GBA games over the online store ;) Double dip.

3. Aranince macrumors 65816

lol...I said the same thing. These new features are appealing to me.

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

These new features are great. Makes me happy I waited :p. And 0.3? Ugh.... maybe that's the little one's res.

5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

an SD slot is ballzie. Piracy is gonna go insane. I'm assuming no upgradable firmware or DSi = PSP confirmed.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Won't be winning any beauty contest but a cool upgrade....not impressed with losing the GBA support though.

I'm kinda glad my niece destroyed my DS lite so it opens a new door for this....no time soon though.

This thing will make kagillions

Bless

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

1000 free Nintendo points??? Sweeeeet. This is almost a whole new system.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

9. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

AAC playback in it, Opera browser... dual touch screens?

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dual touch screens(wide screen)...I guess not
    SD card slots...Homebrew FTW
    DS online store.....yes please
    MP3 playback...meh

Bless

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Err... I don't think dual touch screens. Widescreen, not really, just bigger. Ok, now Kotaku says the DS part is over. Wii time :p. NOW I'm going to bed. I hope there is some good news tomorrow morning ;). This is WAYYYYYY better than any of the E3 conferences. It's kinda funny, everyone was hoping the iPhone 3G would have a front facing camera, but no Nintendo beat them.

OMFG YOU CAN FRIKEN DOWNLOAD SHOP CHANNEL WII GAMES TO AN SD CARD STARTING SPRING 2009!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!

12. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

dual touch screens is odd... splitting the userbase no? Or do they just expect the millions of DS phat/lite owners to jump over?

^ still can't play off the SD card. Just makes swapping easier.

And IGN is saying both screens are touch now.

IGN:

"The DSi is 3.25 inches thick. It's thinner than the DS Lite by 2.6mm (roughly 12% thinner). Features a built-in .3-megapixel camera equal to a maximum resolution of 640x480 (and you'll be able to edit pictures using the touch-screen). MP3-playback functionality (and you'll be able to change the pitch and playback speed of MP3s with the touch-screen). Both screens are touch-compatible now. There's an SD memory card slot. Meanwhile, you'll be able to buy and download games to internal memory using "Nintendo Points."

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Where did you hear about dual touch screens? I don't think that's true. Wow... that is weird. BUT SWEET :D. About the SD cards, it's still a great feature to be added. I would rather have it on an SD card then out in space :D.

Wii SD card stuff here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6338134#post6338134
    This is a DSi thread ;).

Huh... Nintendo is giving people who can't connect to the internet 500 points? So if they can't go online and buy stuff, Nintendo will give them 500 points to use online.

Well, good night.

14. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I don't trust IGN. They suck at translating. 3.25 inches think? That's huge, and it's also the size of the SCREENS. 0.3MP? Other sites say 3.0.

15. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Time to sell my DS lite... Picking this one up for sure. :)

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Looks great. Excited to see what new support they give it. VC games on the fly would be ace.

17. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I like the power button placement better than my DS Lite. The top touch screen only makes sense. I noticed that both my wife and my niece tried to use the top as a touch screen after noticing how the bottom worked.

Image of black one up close.

18. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Bastards. I bought a DSLite just a few months ago :mad:

It'll be interesting to see how they implement the camera into gameplay...

19. zenntench_oni macrumors regular

zenntench_oni

this is more exciting than waiting for pokemon platinum to come out in the US, now i have to set a reminder to november 2nd to bug those import stores nearby :)

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

God dammit it's almost a no-brainer purchase for me. But no GBA port? I don't play my GBA games on there these days (GB Micro) but I still use it for transferring Pokemon, adding the rumble addon. Ah well.

VC Playback I doubt. The resolution is simply not high enough for most consoles on the VC. Commodore, TurboGX, NES, Master System yes. But SNES, N64 and Mega Drive? No! (edit: Jimmy just read "larger screens". Jimmy is confident of VC playback)

DsWare. That would be oh-so awesome.

Actually screw my Pokemons and rumble. Amma getting one. Even though square jaw Palin took a bite out of it.

ALSO: WTF. Even though Nintendo only announced a couple of things it still blows their E3 out the water. Fools! But they were right (that they have some stuff coming up but it not being ready).

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

big upgrade ... gonna be interesting what they are going to do with sd cards/camera etc.

though i have to say i'm a little concerned with compatibility between ds/dslite and newer games .. i hope they aren't all too keen on using those new features in new games which won't work in my old ds lite

because i plan on sticking with my old black lite one for a few years before buying a new one

22. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I want a US release date!!! :(

I heard Spring for Europe. Which smashes my hopes that they would be smart and release this everywhere before Christmas.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Didn't they give us Europeans the original DS Lites first, or just the black one or something?
    Spring would be nice. Of course I'd like it sooner and if I hear the menus can be switched to English then I'll import :3

24. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

ow... battery life at top screen brightness is only 3-4 hours :(