Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
What is the simpler way ?
Right! I made that post last night from an iPad in a coffee shop, now I'm back home I can reveal all!

The complex way uses something called Sunxi-Fel and Zadig. I imagine you'll find it by searching. I don't know if this method nets you more options but it looked too confusing to progress through. The easy method is called Hakchi2, this is the video I followed

Oh and because the NES Mini's control ports are just Wii controller extension ports, you can use the Classic Controller, Pro Controller, etc. I tried it with a GC controller (with Wii extension port rather than a USB or GC port) I bought for Smash Bros and it works too.

I wonder how far hackers can take this and if SNES or Gameboy games will be possible.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Right! I made that post last night from an iPad in a coffee shop, now I'm back home I can reveal all!

The complex way uses something called Sunxi-Fel and Zadig. I imagine you'll find it by searching. I don't know if this method nets you more options but it looked too confusing to progress through. The easy method is called Hakchi2, this is the video I followed

Oh and because the NES Mini's control ports are just Wii controller extension ports, you can use the Classic Controller, Pro Controller, etc. I tried it with a GC controller (with Wii extension port rather than a USB or GC port) I bought for Smash Bros and it works too.

I wonder how far hackers can take this and if SNES or Gameboy games will be possible.

Cool .... now just have to find an NES mini lol. Annoyingly I could have bought one without issues when they came out at my Gamestop got a few in and there were no pre-orders so could have picked one up with my PS4 pro, now of course they are all gone and around €130 on eBay ........

Reactions: blaine07

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Cool .... now just have to find an NES mini lol. Annoyingly I could have bought one without issues when they came out at my Gamestop got a few in and there were no pre-orders so could have picked one up with my PS4 pro, now of course they are all gone and around €130 on eBay ........
Yup! See, I was close to cancelling my preorder but I always hoped this would happen. A hacked NES Mini is a beautiful thing and well worth the asking price then.

I dunno if we'll ever see a SNES Mini but I really hope Sega are paying attention here. I know they have some systems already but they're all really low quality.

Update! I've added more games to mine. There's a 'safe limit' of 32 ontop of the original 30, but it's based around how many save slots you use. I've got some games on there that I have no intention of saving and playing through so I've jumped up to 39 games. Wasting so much time on this now.
I've been reading up on how powerful this is. Totally overkill as a quad core! I imagine we will eventually have hackers blow it wide open and I'm expecting GB games supported in time. Lets see!

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really tempted to do this...But scared I might brick it lol
I don't know much about hacking stuff but the first thing the app does is dump the kernel. If anything goes wrong you should technically be able to put it back. There's an option to do that in its menu. I messed up adding more games to mine so I reverted back to the original kernel - it's dead easy!

Techie26

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Got one off Best Buy's Website two weeks ago and was lucky.

Is it possible to do this on a MacBook running El Capitan without Virtual Machine or Boot Camp? Like can I get the GUI in .dmg?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Hakchi app keeps getting updated with really nice new features. If you've got one and modded it be sure to resync your games using the updated version!

Techie26

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
The Hakchi app keeps getting updated with really nice new features. If you've got one and modded it be sure to resync your games using the updated version!

Ok I haven't modded it yet but I want to. How can I do it without having Windows running on my Mac?

Can I even do it?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Ok I haven't modded it yet but I want to. How can I do it without having Windows running on my Mac?

Can I even do it?
I think it's possible, I've seen people talking about it. But I have bootcamp so I use the windows app.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The modding software (Hakchi) has been updated to support way more games. I don't know what the current limit is, but they've added support for folders on the menu which means if each folder has 30 games then each one gets 4 save slots - as the OS intends.

Just updating mine now with all my NES games.

This thing is really neat!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Man this stuff is progressing fast! Modders are working on supporting SNES and GB games. https://www.reddit.com/r/nesclassicmods/

I was thinking that Nintendo could really capitalise on all this. There are currently many Android-based gaming tablets that have physical controls - ultimately they're very flexible handheld systems. There is little, if any, support for desktop consoles. Current devices include that RetrOn system that requires original cartridges - or a Raspberry Pi that has its own set of issues.

I propose a Virtual Console Console!

A dedicated console with 4 Wii remote ports. Log into your account and download all your VC games. They could sell replicas of original controllers in order to replace the upgrade cycle they rely on. Maybe they could push the boat out and have syncronised cloud saves with the VC on the Switch? Perhaps get Sega to support it too, where they could also manufacture their own replica controllers.

It would have to be small and cheap. (I'm trying to not dive too deep into it and theorise over hardware configs, marketing strategies etc because otherwise I'd feel even more sad something like this doesn't exist)

Last edited:

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
I am all over this! Even more so for the NES controller, that thing will work with a Wii and Wii U, and I imagine a PC when paired with a Wiimote.
Yeah, they totally do work this way. You can even get really good extension cables for this, so that you can play at long distances. (the cables even work when done the other way round when playing on wii and wii u, which solves alot of the distance problems I tend to have where the infa-red range is slightly further away than my couch sits from the TV) So has been handy in both cases. Many people do perfectly good cables for this, but these are the ones I have and can vouch for... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2GAQVX

hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Gamestop has some bundle together for 139.99...not sure what comes with it to make it that price lol

I refuse to buy Gamestop's crappy bundles. I'd rather wait things out than shop there. They are one step away from eBay scalpers, IMO.

Reactions: Jovian9

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Gamestop has some bundle together for 139.99...not sure what comes with it to make it that price lol
Yeah, I totally hate what scalpers did to the overall prices of this console. Once even official sellers started realizing what scalpers could get for it, even alot of the official stores started overcharging for it. So it's more or less impossible now to find it at the price that Nintendo were originally selling it at. Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones who managed to find the last console in a local store at the EU RRP of 69.99. So not as bad as what the scalpers were charging, but I am totally kicking myself for hesitating on that one when I first saw it for 49.99 on amazon UK. Despite having missed that, I was lucky to find it when I did, because it turned out it was the last one they had, so would have missed that too if I had waited even a moment longer. (Everywhere else at the time was selling it for like 200 bucks, and that would have seriously annoyed me!). But as the switch is coming out though, I've noticed that even the scalpers have started to have to drop their NES Classic prices to nearer the 100 bucks mark. So hopefully this will keep getting better once the scalpers start to realize that now the peak demand has started to wane, that they can't get away with extorting people anywhere near as much as they used to. ;)

Reactions: npolly0212

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah, I totally hate what scalpers did to the overall prices of this console. Once even official sellers started realizing what scalpers could get for it, even alot of the official stores started overcharging for it. So it's more or less impossible now to find it at the price that Nintendo were originally selling it at. Fortunately I was one of the lucky ones who managed to find the last console in a local store at the EU RRP of 69.99. So not as bad as what the scalpers were charging, but I am totally kicking myself for hesitating on that one when I first saw it for 49.99 on amazon UK. Despite having missed that, I was lucky to find it when I did, because it turned out it was the last one they had, so would have missed that too if I had waited even a moment longer. (Everywhere else at the time was selling it for like 200 bucks, and that would have seriously annoyed me!). But as the switch is coming out though, I've noticed that even the scalpers have started to have to drop their NES Classic prices to nearer the 100 bucks mark. So hopefully this will keep getting better once the scalpers start to realize that now the peak demand has started to wane, that they can't get away with extorting people anywhere near as much as they used to. ;)
Yeah and Nintendo will now probably lose sales since many people will just get their Nintendo fix by buying the switch. If they had more to sell a month or two ago, people would have bought them without hesitation.

Reactions: npolly0212

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
The NES classic can't be compared to the switch, I want both and will buy both at some point.

Having a working classic system can't be replaced sooo many great titles, memories and fun for not a lot of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.