Nintendo's First Smartphone Game Due This Year, 5 Planned by March 2017

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In Nintendo's financial results briefing posted today, which relays the company's past fiscal year ending in March 2015 and looks ahead to the future, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata provided a few more details regarding the company's future release plans with mobile gaming partner DeNA.

[​IMG]
    Essentially, the first game in the lineup will launch "by the end of this calendar year," with the current long-term plan to release five games in total by the end of the company's next fiscal year ending in March of 2017, just under two years away. Iwata promises that while that estimation for a release schedule seems low, the company hopes to retain its well-known degree of polish and customer satisfaction when transitioning to mobile, and taking a quality over quantity approach is its way of doing that.
    During the briefing, Iwata also went further into detail regarding the actual strategy for creating games on a mobile device, such as an iPhone and iPad. While the initial announcement of the deal with DeNA had fans excited, Nintendo was quick to specify that the experiences provided on mobile wouldn't simply be ports of existing franchises and would be more tailored for a smaller, bite-sized experience.
    [​IMG]
    Although that dashed most fan hopes for full-fledged Pokemon, The Legend of Zelda, and Animal Crossing experiences on the iPhone, it does provide hope that the sometimes fumbling company is at least aware of what makes mobile games work in the first place.
    Iwata last mentions the company's hope to "expand this business," in regards to the mobile games, to global markets so more and more fans will have a chance to experience Nintendo games on mobile. "We are aiming to make this one of the pillars of Nintendo's revenue structure," Iwata said.

Since the deal with DeNA, the company has begun slowly relinquishing its stranglehold over its precious characters and IPs, after first being burned by various motion picture and CD-i partnerships in the past. Most recently, this week Nintendo announced a partnership with Universal to include the former company's popular characters as various attractions and locations in a theme park expansion of the latter's well-established park experiences.

Article Link: Nintendo's First Smartphone Game Due This Year, 5 Planned by March 2017

2. GizmoDVD macrumors 68000

and here comes to...

"Just release the mario and zelda for $1 each and you'll make millions!" comments.

Not happening.

3. idioticfolly macrumors newbie

4. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

5. thekeyring macrumors 68040

It would be interesting to see how games like Super Mario Bros would work on iPhone, when it's touched base.

Also, it will be interesting to see if these games launch on Android, too.

6. phillipduran macrumors 65816

phillipduran

Just release the mario and zelda for $1 each and you'll make millions!

7. Klae17 macrumors 65816

Klae17

Please wait 3 hours to heal your Pokemon! For 100 gems $0.99 IAP you can insta-heal!

8. uptempos macrumors member

Man..just release the mario and zelda for $1 each and you'll make millions!

9. mikeray macrumors regular

This could parallel what happened with the NES. It sparked a revival of the console industry after the market crash in 1983.

Not saying mobile games are suffering a similar fate but maybe they will come up with some new touch interface paradigms for games.

And maybe they will start using capacitive touch for their own hardware! (prob not lol).

There's no way they are making shovel ware/pay to play games. This is NINTENDO guys~!

10. 0928001 Suspended

These will be $10 games that feature the likeness of Nintendos famous characters, but the games will probably have 5-10% of the content a console game would have. Nintendo are some greedy MF'ers.

11. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

If they would just take the mini game collection that they put on some of the Mario DS carts and release it in the App Store for like $3 or so, I would gobble that up.

12. cliffster82 macrumors 6502

Considering our family Wii sits collecting dust while the iPads are used constantly, I think this is awesome. Big time nostalgia. I can't imagine how much sleep I missed at a young age due to playing so much Nintendo.

13. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

14. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I'd test the waters of Nintendo games on my iPad/phone.

15. x13gamer macrumors regular

x13gamer

16. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Well, I can see games like Fire Emblem working on the iPhone's touch screen. My body is ready.

17. randystrikes macrumors newbie

I sincerely hope these aren't freemium games with in-app purchasing. I'd gladly pay $10-$20+ for a quality game that's not nickel & diming me every time I play.

18. xkam1x macrumors member

Amazing!!

I just hope that those games also support MFI controller. That way I can have an iPhone mirrored to tv via Apple TV or Digital AV Adapter and play with a controller.

19. 0xyMoron macrumors 6502

damn..just release the mario and zelda for $1 each and you'll make millions!

20. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

Another future option would be to use the Iphone / Ipad as peripherals to a WiiU, with exclusive content for the Apple products. The WiiU is an under selling system, but it is still a damn cool idea. I ended up getting one just because of how much damn fun it is. The concept is original IMO as well and pretty well executed.

I still think they should release IOS only options like what is being spoken about here.....but they could have this option as well.

21. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

I just hope we can get SOME kind of quality Zelda game. I grew up with that franchise and I would love to see it expanded to my iPhone 6 Plus' screen with the use of an emulator.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a Metroid game of some sort. FPS or good old side-scrolling, I don't care which.

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

23. Michael Goff Suspended

Michael Goff

The best thing about Nintendo is that they'll take advantage of the system. Best Wii games were from Nintendo, same with the U. These will be amazing.

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I have gone back to my Game Boy Micro for mobile gaming. I just can not get into it on my phone.

25. AngerDanger, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Here's to hoping that Nintendo doesn't let Ive's aesthetic influence their own.