Nissan 350z

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Krafty, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright, is anyone good with like knowing about insurance and buying one cause I have a couple of questions.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Ask your questions, then people respond. This is generally how forums work :rolleyes:

3. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

My bad, I just wasnt sure.

Alright, so I'm 18 in college and whatnot, and I havent had owned a car but always wanted a 350z (let me finish first before your comments about me flow onto your keyboard please).

So my dad says if I make all B's this semester he'll buy me (AKA "promises" per say) a new car. Well, just recently (around Dec 2007) i saw he printed out a Toyota Avalon 2008 (I knew it was for him, he likes Avalons). He alread had a 2004 Avalon, which he recently drove all the way to Alabama (where his family and his mothers house that he remodeled is) and left it there and flew back. My idea was maybe he was going to give that one to me.

Well, turns out comparing prices, his Toyota avalon went for 30g, while the 2007 350z is at 27k (stock). I didnt matter for 2007 but more of was gonna ask for a used 03-04 model (since maybe it would be more cheaper, and he could just sell the avalon).

I talked to me mom, and she said insurance was the main issue (being a 18 year old teen) btu another one of my friends who owns a NISMO 350z said to put it under my mom or dads name, and the insurance wont go up as much.

Then, my mom said that if I purchase it up in NY (hometown, and where my dads main house is) then I would have to buy a tag, drive it down, and then pay for an Atlanta tag.

So my thing is, would this be a good idea? If so, and I just kinda...shoot it towards dad maybe I could say to just buy one down here?

I figured, since his old Avalon cost more, and he claims he would buy me a new one, would it be wrong asking for a car that cost less?

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

sounds like you just need to talk to your dad, and just see what he says.

5. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Yes, but my dads the type of person where if he's not ready to do something he could get annoyed, and I dont want that to happen.

In order for that not to happen, I need to approach him with "Ok, I got it all laid out, this is what I think..."

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm a bit confused, but it seems that basically...

He's going to give you a car.
    You'd actually really like another car.
    The car you really want is cheaper than the car he wants to give you.

So just present him with the figures and you should be set.

Insurance will always bite you in the arse when you're young and driving a fast car, not a whole lot you can do about it. I'm sure having it in your parents name with you as a named driver will help, but the very fact an 18 year old is on the policy will still send the price sky rocketing (this is all assuming it's a similar situation in the US to the UK).

7. mantic macrumors 6502a

Insurance will be close to $200 a month if not more.

8. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

That's not really accurate. Insurance is based on one's location as well as the likelihood that someone will wreck it. I'm sure that insurance on a 350Z is high as it is, and when combined with the driver's youth it'll probably be pretty high.

I know in Vegas I was paying ~160/mo for a Scion tC, and I was 29 with no tickets and no accidents. Some areas are just more expensive than others for car insurance.

9. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Close..

More like:

He says he's going to buy me a new car.
    His old car cost more than the car that I want instead.
    I just want to know what would happen insurance wise.
    My dad has always been dodgy with me and driving when I went to high school. He wanted me to get a job, and I got one, but since he works form 7AM to 6PM, he wouldnt be able to pick me up. (The job is walking distance from my HS). I told him to just let me have a car or drive his truck and he said nevermind, just focus on school.

When I was on my permit, he almost never wanted me to drive his car unless it was on the highway when we went on long trips.

My mom had to take me to get my license cause he wouldnt.

So, I'll give it a try, I just want to make sure there are no other major surprises.

10. mantic macrumors 6502a

I was taking this into consideration it also depends on your insurer. I'm 26 now and pay $98 a month.. but i've had BMW m3s since i was 20. When i was in hish school i drove a civic hatchback and paid $170 a month with a clean record. He wants a newer car with a high "risk" factor to an insurer. I'm going to estimate $170-200+.

11. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Insurance is your biggest concern. Depending on where you live, it can be as much as your car payment per month. Call up an insurance agent around your area and get a price. :)

12. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Well, I tried this site and it was asking all these questions and I seriously just wished it would cut to the chase.

I live in Atlanta, GA. My dad lives New York.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't ask here. We're not insurance brokers. Call an insurance firm (well, several) and get a damn quote.

14. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

Alright, sheesh...

15. mantic macrumors 6502a

Your parents need to do this so you can be added to their plan.. Most Insurance companies give multi car discounts. This will be cheaper for you or who ever is paying the bill.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What do you expect? Unless you happen to come across an insurance broker on these forums that happens to be able to quote for where you live, getting advice or opinions here is pointless. Only an actual insurer can tell you what it's going to set you back.

You're not committing to anything in requesting quotes from a few companies, so just get on with it and do it.

17. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

I wasnt requesting one, I was just making sure I had everything that had to do with getting it down before I brought it up to him cause I dont want him to ask something and be like "Uh, I dont know but ill think of something."

He'll know how to get the quote and whatnot.

18. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

So you know though, it will most likely be over $200 per month to cover you on a car like that.

19. mantic macrumors 6502a

Cut him some slack.. He obviously has never delt with insurance before. No need to be rude.

20. ccwilli3 macrumors member

350Z insurance is HIGH! With only 2 seats and the demographic of 'go fast' youth wanting it, it's a desirable, fast, subject to theft, and expensive car that subsequently is expensive to insure. As a comparison, the G35 coupe is cheaper to insure and it costs more to buy. Due to this demographic, when I called my insurance to inquire about it, a same year corvette is cheaper to insure... I'm 30, no tickets, no accidents and live in the research triangle park area of NC. Everywhere and everyone is different but that is a frame of reference for comparison.

But man does that car rail, it'll go around corners with minimal body roll and very good feedback, right up to the limit. albeit a little on the heavy side, the car is still a lot of fun. You'll get in a lot of trouble with this car, have fun! If you can get your dad to do something like that, which if he loves you, he won't do it! :p

21. mantic macrumors 6502a

this is what i'm thinking but wanted to leave room to be optimistic lol.

22. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

If you were referring to me I am not trying to be rude at all. I've been a teen insured on a fast car, it was effin' expensive.
    Hey, could be taken as a warning so he can soften the blow to the parents.

edit: ok, maybe you weren't but aaaaanyway....

23. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

No, your good, thanks for all the helpful replies.

24. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

the 350z is nice, but you do realize the insurance is gonna hurt a bit. I drive an RSX and my insurance was a pain at the age of 16 (when I got the car, new too.. so insurance was extremely high)... but after a few years, the insurance went down pretty nicely. I'm still at 800 per year (I've had 2 speeding tickets and a accident, my fault too) but it beats 1500 a year when I started. Normally, if you don't get into any accidents and don't have any major tickets, your insurance won't go up, only go down. good luck.

25. Krafty thread starter macrumors 601

Krafty

What I was thinking is, if I do good in school this year, I can get a scholarship. As I progress, I can try to apply for more, thus lightening to load. One that I already applied for is 5g, so maybe that will help.
    Well I've been driving since Aug 2007. My mom lets me use her car and hates driving, so I think im pretty safe. I also have driven my friends 350z a lot.

I dont usually go far down here in college, but I need a car and since maybe this can be an opportunity to get a 350z, I think I can take that chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.