No 16GB iPhone 3G at Launch

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sallythemac, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sallythemac Guest

I have been told by my local o2 shop that there will be no 16GB iPhone's for sale on 11th July.

Has anybody else been told this, or heard conflicting rumours?

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There seem to be quite a few rumors of this circulating in the UK from what I read (I can't verify, I'm in the US). If so, that stinks for you guys!

Multiple AT&T stores have confirmed they'll have black and white 16GB iPhones on the 11th.

3. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

If true, this sucks.

I want my iPhone 3G 16GB! :eek::apple:

R-Fly

4. sallythemac thread starter Guest

5. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Given the number of conflicting reports O2 staff are giving (many are confirming the availability of the 16gb) I'm inclined to believe that at the moment they don't know and are basically making stuff up.

6. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

I was told the same thing on saturday in an o2 shop, but told differently in a different o2 shop and in carphone whorehouse.

I posted about it and the idea was rubbished on here, but there seems to be a lot of o2 staff telling people 8gb only.

I can't get excited about the launch until I know I can get a 16gb on the 11th. It would be nice to know soonish too since, I'll have to cancel my day off work on the 11th and arrange it for a different day :-(

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

8. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

9. sallythemac thread starter Guest

Hear hear. I just wana know straight. Has anyone spoke to o2 telesales/online? What's there stance?

I haven't spoke to either of the Carphone Warehouses in my city, will have a go tomorrow and post back with what i hear.

10. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

I think we'll just have to wait.

Telesales and online representatives of o2 may just be as informed as we are.

The only glimmer of hope is that Matthew Key, the CEO of Telefonica Europe Plc and O2 UK, released the pricing and store opening times
    in an official o2 press release statement last week, and there were no mention of shortages on either model for the launch ...

We'll see.

R-Fly

11. LixLev macrumors regular

Having spoken to five separate o2 stores, I'm inclined to believe that the 8GB Black and 16 GB Black will be on sale from launch and that the white iphone will be Apple Store exclusive to start with and then they will get it phone later. At least that is what 4 of them told me, the other said that all of the phones would be available from launch.

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Good news, thanks. :cool:

R-Fly

13. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Here in the US, we do not have this "carphone whorehouse" you speak of... but I think we need one.

I mean, what two things could go better together than... well... you get the idea :D :apple:

14. sallythemac thread starter Guest

Good News

This is good news. Thanks for sharing.

15. Juo100 macrumors regular

I asked my friend that works at the Carphone Warehouse (this is just an MSN conversation with a friend not in the store)

Him: ive got mine reserved
    Me: is that a staff only thing?, I want one on the 11th :p
    Him: my boss is putting a 16gb black aside for me
    Him: apparently were getting 40ish
    Me: 40, of each? or all together
    Him: mostly 8gb
    Me: ooo
    Me: I better go early or my 16gb then
    Him: mixture of colours too

16. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

if this is true, I will not be getting a 3G phone on the 11th.

17. sallythemac thread starter Guest

That sounds encouraging! Even if it is small quantities, at least they will be available. Thanks for informing us!

18. Juo100 macrumors regular

Yeah they wont go far if all the in store workers have reservations though :p

19. sallythemac thread starter Guest

Mere mortals

Lol - It's the risk us mere mortals have to take.

20. badgerman macrumors 6502a

Stockport and Manchester O2 have said only 8gb and they will open at 9am...:eek:

Although they didnt have any confirmation.

21. Badgerguy macrumors member

I'd be very surprised if the 16GB version wasn't available on launch day - however I'd not be /entirely/ surprised if the white version is variable depending on the store.

I definitely want the 16GB version, and I'd prefer the white one - but if it's only available in Black then I'll still be OK with that.

--
    BG

22. phannon666 macrumors regular

I could have sworn I read something specifically about there being NO reservations, if store managers are allowing this on the sly, shame on them, put your customers first. I'm hoping the 7.02am rumours are true, so I've got time to get get it and then head to work :cool:

@bitslap47

You do not want Carphone Warehouse, trust me lol. I've got a CPW within 10 minutes walking distance, but I'd much rather drive a few miles for my nearest O2 store.

23. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

@bitslap: the 'whorehouse' nickname refers to the fact that once they take all your money there is nothing they won't consider doing to you [and it's not good stuff they do - I still carry the mental scars to this day]

24. sallythemac thread starter Guest

I'm not so sure. Apple/O2 know the motto "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap". I think they are concentrating getting stocks of the cheaper, easier to sell iPhones first to get people to part with their cash asap, and will then turn their production towards 16GB models once the 8GBs are flowing. Especially when the 8GB can be free on certain tariffs, this makes them easier to sell from a mobile phone sales-person's point of view. When the 16GB is still £60 and £75 a month, its only people who REALLY want it (techys like ourselves) that are guna be the real buyers.

However, i hope i am REALLY wrong!