Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyhofer

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
I went to my local O2 store in the midlands yesterday and told me something similar

Only the 8Gb would be available on launch day and the 16Gb would be a couple of weeks. Also said that contract and PAYG would both be available.

When I asked re opening at 7.02am they said it depended on the shopping centre opening time which is understandable, but they said that they may stay open later on the day before, 10th July, as this is what they did the last time the Iphone came out, giving people the chance to have the phone rather than waiting till 9.00am on the 11th. Can't believe this is true though...

Badgerguy

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
I went to my local O2 store in the midlands yesterday and told me something similar

Only the 8Gb would be available on launch day and the 16Gb would be a couple of weeks. Also said that contract and PAYG would both be available.

When I asked re opening at 7.02am they said it depended on the shopping centre opening time which is understandable, but they said that they may stay open later on the day before, 10th July, as this is what they did the last time the Iphone came out, giving people the chance to have the phone rather than waiting till 9.00am on the 11th. Can't believe this is true though...

Well, I really hope this is all wrong - I'd have thought Apple (as secretive as they are) wouldn't tempt people in with all the info about the new phone, announce a launch date, and then allow it to be staggered without telling anyone.

Still, I'll probably try contacting the O2 stores here in Birmingham this week and see if they have any news.

--
BG

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK

The fact they bullsh*tted about selling them on the 10th CONFIRMS they have no clue. :apple: are launching on the 11th. No way will anyone (appart from Walt Mossberg &SJ) have one on the 10th.

The o2 staff say stuff to get you either (i) in to the store OR (ii) out of the store

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Midnight opening isn't impossible (but if only 1 store did it they'd be under siege for days beforehand, so might not be a good idea). 10th.. not going to happen (except possibly for the shop staff, on the sly).

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
So is this "16GB might not be available and/or might not be available in white on launch day" stuff just going on in England or do us Americans have to worry about it too?

johnwin

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2008
Hull, UK
Just checked on froogle.co.uk: I'm desperate to pay :apple:/o2 an extra £60 for 16gb in lieu of 8gb. I can buy an 8gb SD card for £17.99.

I need rehab. But I say no, no, no!

Night night from the uk, where we get the iPhnoe 5-8 hours before the us, but 8 hours behind Australia.

taylor200588

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Arbroath, Scotland
i was told at the O2 store in Dundee that i dont even hav to go into the store for mine. that when i get a phone call from O2 b4 the launch that they send them out the night b4 so i have it on the 11th. But that the 16GB White version wont be available to begin with but will be in a few weeks!

but i wouldnt moan if i got the 16GB Black one! both are sexy!

only time will tell!

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Just spoke to a guy on the phone at my local o2 store saying that they will have both models in stock. And my local one is not a large one..

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
On the AT&T website it says there are two models available, one at $199 and another at $299.
It then says coming soon you can pay full price, of $599 and $699. It doesn't say coming soon 16GB at $299.
Therefore I would safely assume the 16GB will be available at ATT on the 11th.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
Also you can see here on the iReady checklist the 16GB is available.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    88.2 KB · Views: 151

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
On the AT&T website it says there are two models available, one at $199 and another at $299.
It then says coming soon you can pay full price, of $599 and $699. It doesn't say coming soon 16GB at $299.
Therefore I would safely assume the 16GB will be available at ATT on the 11th.

Think we are concernced by the rumours from UK O2 store staff - who clearly have nothing confirmed, but are saying there is only the 8gb on sale on d-day.

razorianfly

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Think we are concernced by the rumours from UK O2 store staff - who clearly have nothing confirmed, but are saying there is only the 8gb on sale on d-day.

This is exactly the case.

O2 seem to be giving conflicting reports about model and plan availability. I suppose it is still early,
with just under 9 days to go, but surely they should have confirmation on model availability,
let alone knowing which plans these models can be signed to.

Or maybe they're stalling? - Hysteria, anyone? :cool:

R-Fly

sallythemac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2008
News for Today

Ok, this is what i have learnt today.

Hereford Carphone Warehouse #1 - Have had nothing concrete, ball is in Apples court. Anything can change right up to the day. At the moment, they believe there will only be 8GB models for sale at launch, 16GB models to follow. They also rekon that stock will not arrive until the 11th July - thats right, on the actual day of launch. So therefore by the time they can confirm stock levels, they will already be on sale.

Gloucester O2 - 8GB definitely, "hopefully" 16GB.

Cheltenham O2 - Just 8Gb "as far as we know" and "couple of weeks" for 16GB.

Worcester O2 - Both 8Gb and 16GB "as far as we know".

Am still tracking a number for O2 Abergavenny and will ask at Hereford Carphone Warehouse #2 tomorrow.

On a seperate note, i have received an e-mail from O2 today saying they will be in contact next week with more info.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Although it concerns me that some shops think they won't have the 16GB in stock I seriously doubt Apple would let that happen - They would have said that the 16GB would be out later in the year at WDCC and considering that the original iPhone has been out in 16GB already I don't see any reasons why there shouldn't be any stock - but I believe there may be less than of the 8GB version.

Gamst

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Manchester, U.K.
Although it concerns me that some shops think they won't have the 16GB in stock I seriously doubt Apple would let that happen - They would have said that the 16GB would be out later in the year at WDCC and considering that the original iPhone has been out in 16GB already I don't see any reasons why there shouldn't be any stock - but I believe there may be less than of the 8GB version.

I really hope you are right! I may just try and forget all about the iphone until the middle of next week. The build up to something like this is usually so exciting but this speculation is ruining it for me.

I can't get myself looking forward to the 11th too much, because I fear I'll be left disappointed and not end up getting one for a while.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
I really hope you are right! I may just try and forget all about the iphone until the middle of next week. The build up to something like this is usually so exciting but this speculation is ruining it for me.

I can't get myself looking forward to the 11th too much, because I fear I'll be left disappointed and not end up getting one for a while.

Yep I know what you mean, esp as all the O2/CPWs in Manchester area have hinted at NOT having the 16gigger...:eek:

Gamst

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2008
Manchester, U.K.
oops re posted that by accident. Pressed re load and this stupid N95 re posted it. Can't wait to get a phone with a decent web browser!

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Hopefully this may lead to a solid answer. Hopefully. :cool:

R-Fly

I doubt it. It will just be another large group of people who don't know the answer but will instead give you their uninformed opinion. The only way to know is to wait until July 11 and see what's available at your local O2 store.

glanv

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2008
I doubt it. It will just be another large group of people who don't know the answer but will instead give you their uninformed opinion. The only way to know is to wait until July 11 and see what's available at your local O2 store.

Have to agree with you Stampyhead. I have read so many it-will-be's and it-won't-be's I am just plain confused and a little fed up with it now. Admittedly, I am included in the group posting such things. I have decided to try the "just wait and see" policy. However, I find myself still reading the rumours and attempting to find out for certain! Oh, irony!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.