Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sneakerp

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I don't like how the camera roll is gone. I'm not a fan of Photos.

Another thing I don't like is the recently deleted folder (that you can't delete :rolleyes:). A pointless folder for most people and why can't apple let you delete it or change settings. Who needs to keep a deleted photo for 30 days.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2011
I don't like how the camera roll is gone. I'm not a fan of Photos.

Another thing I don't like is the recently deleted folder (that you can't delete :rolleyes:). A pointless folder for most people and why can't apple let you delete it or change settings. Who needs to keep a deleted photo for 30 days.

True, you can't delete the folder but I actually like the concept of a second delete. It's like a recycle bin in case you make a mistake. Also, you dont have to wait 30 days to get rid of the deleted photos...you can go in and delete again in that folder.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
At most, I have about 1 photos on my phone at any time. I rarely take pictures. So the new interface was easy to get used to!

Hah, very funny. :)

But yeah for those of us who take lots of pictures, the way the new Photos app doesn't give you information on what's going on is daunting.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
You dont see any benefit to the "new" photos app or the app at all? If you are running iOS 8 GM there is no switch....it's the final release.

Yes my point is it's not working.....in all the betas there were options to keep high res images etc., that's gone. If I take a pic on my iPhone And edit or favorite it, it doesn't carry over to ipad like it's supposed to.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Yes my point is it's not working.....in all the betas there were options to keep high res images etc., that's gone. If I take a pic on my iPhone And edit or favorite it, it doesn't carry over to ipad like it's supposed to.

It is working and the option in the GM is exactly where it's been in all the betas:
- Settings > Photos & Camera
- Turn on iCloud Photo Library (Beta)

You can chose:
- Optimize Phone Storage (with a device optimized version), or
- Download and Keep Originals (full-resolution images stored on your device)

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
It is working and the option in the GM is exactly where it's been in all the betas:

You can chose:

I don't have that setting?

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
But recently taken only shows the last 250ish photos. My camera roll had 2600+. If the photo I want to share isn't recent there's no way to see it.

That's correct. Currently from within some apps, such as Instagram, there's no way to get to a photo that's not in an album. Remember that apps aren't allowed to use any iOS 8 features until it's released on 9/17. Once it goes public, we'll see most/many apps get upgrades to support the new AV structures in iOS 8. Just hang tight.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

You can chose:

I dont have that setting either, thats the point Im trying to make here. Its not on my iPad Air or iPhone 5S both with iOS 8 GM and everything else cloud related turned on. Are you running the GM?

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
I dont have that setting either, thats the point Im trying to make here. Are you running the GM?

Yep, I'm on the GM. I'm also a registered dev. Just a thought but if you aren't a dev then I wonder if it could be related to that since it won't be turned on for the public until the 9/17 release date?

Anyone else out there on the GM not seeing this option?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yep, I'm on the GM. I'm also a registered dev. Just a thought but if you aren't a dev then I wonder if it could be related to that since it won't be turned on for the public until the 9/17 release date?

I also do not see that option. Not that I'm willing to use it yet even if it were there, so I don't mind.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan

Very interesting...thats what Im thinking is that its a cloud switch they need to push next week. Can you also check and see if you can do edits cross device?? Not working either on my iPad and iphone if I try to edit.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
Very interesting...thats what Im thinking is that its a cloud switch they need to push next week. Can you also check and see if you can do edits cross device?? Not working either on my iPad and iphone if I try to edit.

Yep -- edits sync correctly between my 5S & my iPad -- both are on GM and both UDID's listed on my dev acct.

Also, FWIW, I choose the Optimize Storage option and it's awesome -- my phone went from 99% full to 30% full and I have 4,000 photos. I definitely don't need to store those all on my phone but it's awesome to be able to see them if I want to.

Only issue is that until apps go iOS 8 on 9/17, many apps don't know how to deal with the new AV structure.

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Not sure how I feel about this change. It was nice to have the camera roll separate because that differentiated photos that you took on your phone. It looks like recently taken includes your photostream as well, so if you are trying to clear up space on your phone it could be hard to tell if you are deleting pics from the photostream instead of photos that are actually on the phone.

bmwtech113

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Knoxville, TN
That's correct. Currently from within some apps, such as Instagram, there's no way to get to a photo that's not in an album. Remember that apps aren't allowed to use any iOS 8 features until it's released on 9/17. Once it goes public, we'll see most/many apps get upgrades to support the new AV structures in iOS 8. Just hang tight.

I have also ran in to this issue when selecting a new wallpaper through settings. If I want to use an older photo as a wallpaper, I have to go in to the photos app, find the photo and then select it as a wallpaper.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
My photos are not syncing at all between my iPhone 5 and iPad 3. I have the GM. Both iCloud beta and photo steaming are turned on.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
My photos are not syncing at all between my iPhone 5 and iPad 3. I have the GM. Both iCloud beta and photo steaming are turned on.

I'm having that issue too. I wonder if its related to the Photo Library not fully enabled. So far, it was able to sync up 4 of the 30 photos that I took last since iOS8 was installed on my iPad Mini and iPhone

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
not sure how i feel about this change. It was nice to have the camera roll separate because that differentiated photos that you took on your phone. It looks like recently taken includes your photostream as well, so if you are trying to clear up space on your phone it could be hard to tell if you are deleting pics from the photostream instead of photos that are actually on the phone.

^this

imaginex20

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009

The option is missing in the GM. However, think the option shows up in GM if the device you install it on was not on the previous betas with the option already on. My wife's phone that never had beta on it and I updated to GM, the option is not there at all whereas my device has the option.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Running ios8 gm, just checked my recent pics on the iPad. It's loaded with pics I've taken on my phone and they're not in the correct order

I'd prefer to not sort through every picture I've taken on my iPhone to find a pic I saved to my iPad on a different date

Ayrton

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2011
I take pictures and use the image capture to save them on my nas. I keep all my photos on my NAS. Now in the new situation, I see recently added and all pictures taken by other devices. The reason for that is that I share my apple account (icloud) to all my apple devices in the house hold. If I import the pictures and delete them automatic in the old situation, the camara roll would be emptied and the cloud stays as it is. But now, the photos I delete at import are gone from recently add. Seems logic, but this is also my cloud view. So on the device where I remove those pictures they are also 'gone' from the recently add view. Which is kinda confusing. On other devices I still see the pictures in the cloud.

I don;t like this approach to be very honest. I have a household of iOS5, iOS6, iOS7 and now iOS8 so family sharing is another thing that I cannot use. So shared photo stream is another this that is bothering me.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I'm getting used to the lack of the Camera Roll, still liked having one place with the only the photos I took on my phone but no matter.

What's annoying me now is the Events from My Mac are totally out of order. They used to be sorted by date but now I can't figure out how they're sorted.

Apple NZ

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
New Zealand
Hating this new photo app. GoodReader just updated for iOS 8 compatibility, yet you can still only select your recently added photos to import into the app.

What if I wanted to import an older photo?

I don't see the benefit of having your main photo album restricted to only your recent photos

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.