iPhone XR No carrier free version, which iPhone XR to order?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wcnngt, Oct 19, 2018.

1. wcnngt macrumors newbie

apple.com has no carrier free version yet. So I ordered Verizon version at full price and
    plan to activate using China mobile sim. Will this give me a true carrier-
    free version so that later I can use it on any carrier? Thanks.

2. menist macrumors 6502

menist

I'm not sure about worldwide sim free, but in the states, all carriers are supported when paid in full.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

You wont be able to activate the Verizon model without a Verizon account. Once its activated with Verizon you can take it else where. But you can't just open it and stick in a non-verizon sim.

Once the phone has been activated, you can use any sim you want and it will be no different than an unlocked carrier-free phone.

4. wcnngt thread starter macrumors newbie

Once I activate it with Verizon account, does it become unlocked? In other words, if I reset it later I don't need a verizon sim to activate it again.

I am currently with Tmo and don't have verzion account. I plan later to switch to Verizon or Sprint though. So shall I order Tmo version instead? Thanks.

I heard that Verizon and Sprint whitelist phones so phones from other carrier cannot be used on their network even if they are unlocked. I am not sure if this is true but apple certainly created some headaches with these carrier barriers in 2018!

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Once its activated with Verizon, you can do whatever you please with it. You will never have to "re-activate" with Verizon. The initial activation is just to get the phone up and running. In recent years Apple has changed how it has worked. Before you could just buy a phone at full cost and stick whatever sim you wanted in it, now if its a carrier phone, even at full priced it needs to be activated before swapping sims. I dealt with this first-hand with the XS launch.

I'm not too familiar with the XR, not sure if it has two models, such as CDMA and GSM. I am not sure if the TMO version works like the Verizon one. So I cannot answer that question.

6. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

I don’t think it will matter which one

7. cc999 macrumors 6502

Be careful Verizon is now locking their phones. So the nightmare scenario is you activate with a Verizon sim and then you cannot switch to another carrier.

CC

8. Shadowbech macrumors 601

That just depends on where OP gets the phone. If purchased full price directly from Apple.com or Apple Store then it comes unlocked.

9. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Even at full price? I wasn't aware of that. Not sure how they can get away with that.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I thought that there is an option to choose the activation at check out later, and doesn't require carrier info? And by selecting this option, it doesn't ask for the carrier info and you can simply just remove the sim card it comes with and insert any sim card.

upload_2018-10-19_10-22-25.png

11. wcnngt thread starter macrumors newbie

I see conflicting answers. Can someone with real experience speak out?

12. Shadowbech macrumors 601

IF you ordered through Apple.com and paid full price for the Verizon Model, and you selected Activate Later, it is unlocked and should work with the China Mobile Sim.

13. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I did this for the XS this year and 8Plus last year. Upon booting up the phone, it required carrier information, SSN, Zip, Passcode. Sticking in another sim would come back with a "failed to activate" error.

14. Sugadaddy macrumors regular

It's a bit of a mess in the US.

In Canada, if you buy full price from the Apple Store, they never ask you what carrier you're using. My XS Max activated on WiFi, before I even put my SIM card in it.

15. Shadowbech, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

Shadowbech macrumors 601

I think that if you do the first one (activate now) and you do the in-store pick up and then choose activate later at the time you pick it up that would be the case. However, if you choose activate later on the apple.com, it won't ask you any of your carrier info and you can simply take it out the sim card and insert the other. I've done this for my wife's XS where i chose activate later on apple.com, didn't even ask me to enter my carrier info, upon receiving it, we just inserted her sim card from the 7 Plus and worked fine. Didn't ask me to enter any of my verizon account info.

Edit to add: and it was a in-store pick up as well.

16. wcnngt thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you insert a Verizon sim to a Verizon version of the phone? My question is that I want to order Verizon version to ensure the broadest capability but I don't have Verizon account or sim.

17. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I believe that's the iOS 12 thing. Which it no longer requires a sim to go through the set up page and you can simply activate the phone on wifi.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 19, 2018 ---
    No, I inserted my pre-paid AT&T sim card and activated just fine.

18. gurase macrumors 6502

19. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

That makes literally no sense. Two years in a row I have had nothing but problems doing exactly what you are describing.

20. Shadowbech macrumors 601

It actually does make sense. If you go to Apple.com and you choose the "Activate Later" it doesn't ask you to input any of your carrier info and when you select in-store pick up, you simply go and pick up. I did this last year on my other X using this method when it was available and worked just fine. It's as if you are buying a sim-free model.

Edit: The Activate Later in this scenerio is as if you walk into the Apple store and buying it outright and bypassing the carrier info and inserting your own sim card.

Now if you choose the "Activate Now" this will prompt you to enter your carrier info on apple.com and when you select in-store pick up. And when you actually go pick it up, the POS device will detect it and when you tell the sales you want to activate later, then you have to activate with the sim card it came in.

21. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

I believe when you purchase the Verizon model phone, it will activate with your carriers sim card. just check the bands it supports. also, this is from verizon.com

• We do not lock most phones or tablets that are activated with our postpay service either during or after the term of your service contract or Device Payment Plan installment sales agreement.
    • We do not lock our 4G LTE devices, and no code is needed to program them for use with another carrier.

22. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

No, what I'm saying doesn't make sense is it working for you, but not me.

23. seezar macrumors regular

All US iPhones this year are the exact same model. So doesn't matter which carrier you get from when it comes to network compatibility. It's not like previous years.

24. xrussx macrumors member

SIM Free model isn't available yet. Normally its within a month, although with the XS it was available right away.

25. 0970373 Suspended

Thing is, there have been some recent changes w/ carriers, US carriers are notoriously sneaky, especially Verizon & AT&T, it's the first time Apple is offering Dual SIM, Apple seems to have made some changes on their side but most people are just upgrading their phones here, etc etc. Too many variables and experiences to give you the exact answer you are looking for or finding someone who has the exact same experience.

Honestly, you really should buy a phone for your region. Or wait. You can't blame anyone here should this not work out the way you want. And that's an expensive mistake.