no Ethernet in 2012 MBP? bad move

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Too many businesses insist on Ethernet for security reasons.
WiFi still far slower then Gigabit Ethernet.

MBA is fine because it is designed for size (not meant for significant projects), but on a Pro machine?

EDIT:
Forcing one to get (buy) a dongle to use a industry wide standard and expected connection on a business/pro level machine is bad practice.
This is not about pushing advanced technology, its about supporting technology that is still top of line and ubiquitous.

Dongles are also bad practice in industry, used only for very specific, limited reasons. They can get damaged, lost, stolen. Worse is damage to the Thunderbolt port itself. Remember why Apple went with MagSafe power connection?

Last edited:

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Honest question - What businesses/companies do people work for that they'd notice the difference in speed between WiFi and ethernet? What would you actually be doing that would make the difference apparent?

Havok83

macrumors regular
May 12, 2012
Too many businesses insist on Ethernet for security reasons.
WiFi still far slower then Gigabit Ethernet.

MBA is fine becuase it is designed for size, but on a Pro machine?
You do realize that ethernet is still an option for ALL MBPs? Thats what an adapter is for....

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I wonder if the HDMI port supports ethernet. That would be nice because it would mean cheap adapters are possible. Otherwise I need to get a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter that costs who knows how much, and I need to keep track of it just for those rare inopportune times when there's no wifi.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Video editors?
3D models?
I'm not too familiar with what they do (aside from the obvious implication of their titles). So you're saying their files are all stored remotely or something? I was under the impression it was all done on a computer, no internet connection really required?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
The only time I really need to use ethernet is for work (I'm an IT guy for a school. When we get new computers or a computer crashed & I need to wipe the hard drive, I just boot off a Netboot server and put y school's appropriate software on. Unfortunately, or Netboot system doesn't support Wi-fi. Fortunately, there's going to be adaptors. Probably $69 adaptors or something, but adaptors nonetheless.

----------

I'm not too familiar with what they do (aside from the obvious implication of their titles). So you're saying their files are all stored remotely or something? I was under the impression it was all done on a computer, no internet connection really required?
May have a NAS on the local network, not necessarily on the internet.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
May have a NAS on the local network, not necessarily on the internet.
Sorry, that's what I meant... some type of network connection. Hmm, well interesting. Looks like people will have to go with the regular MBPs or get a Thunderbolt or USB 3.0 ethernet adapter.

It's a good thing though. Once more companies nix ethernet, it'll force networking companies to pump out faster wireless and more secure routers. They'll stay relatively stagnant if no one pushes them, because there's really no profitable reason to push the boundaries.

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
Buy the normal MBP, ill be enjoying my thin retina MBP and use a dongle if (read never) required.

TechieGeek

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
I wonder if the HDMI port supports ethernet. That would be nice because it would mean cheap adapters are possible. Otherwise I need to get a Thunderbolt ethernet adapter that costs who knows how much, and I need to keep track of it just for those rare inopportune times when there's no wifi.
I bet you could get one for under $10 on eBay...

It's just wire. You don't need to get the Apple branded one that costs 5x more than it costs to build.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Honestly they really should have just included it. It costs next to nothing, but I guess they wanted it as thin as possible.

I wonder how much that accessory will cost, probably $30 to $50 ... Lol. Apple gonna Apple.

----------

Lord have mercy.

HDMI support Ethernet? Lol, just ... Lol. You guys are killing me here.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
It SEEEMS old to have an ethernet port. Everything else is immediately second rate. Use wifi, make it secure.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I'll tell you something that is bad, they appear to have not updated the Mac pro in anyway at all:

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

!!! oh dear.... I can hear the Pro's running to Windows....

As for ethernet, yeah it is VERY poor that they dropped it from a machine costing so much and then failed to include 802.11 AC wireless! That is what they should have done. But we will need to see how much the adapters are I guess.

Martialis

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Honest question - What businesses/companies do people work for that they'd notice the difference in speed between WiFi and ethernet? What would you actually be doing that would make the difference apparent?
Seriously? Anything involving collaborating on very large files. :rolleyes:

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Large file transfers to a server. Basic sysadmin work.

Setting up Lights Out Server controls with a cat 5 cable. No servers I know of have wireless in the datacenter.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Go check the 1.4 spec before you laugh too hard (it has a 100Mb ethernet channel) ;)
Whoa, I didn't know that!

Still, 100Mb is pathetic in today's data heavy world ... It's a shame they didn't have the foresight to put in gigabit.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Good point. Unless you work for rapidshare I don't really see the point.

theluggage

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2011
What would you actually be doing that would make the difference apparent?
If you're only using WiFi to hook up to the Internet then its probably faster than your broadband connection, so that's fine. If you actually start file-sharing between machines, then its really not that fast at all, unless you've got a cutting-edge WiFi router and no interference. Neither 300Mbps WiFi or 1Gbps Ethernet actually gives you anything like that speed in practice, but I'd rather have half of 1000 than half of 300 thank you.

Easy: Working with files over a network for sharing or backup. At home I have 2 or 3 systems hooked up with Gigabit, used for Time Machine backups (faster is better) or, when I bring my work machine home, I just plug it in and mount it over the network from my home machine and work on the files, rather than juggle displays and keyboards.

At work, they only have 100Mbps Ethernet, but even that's faster than the WiFi there.

As for the new MacBook Pro - if the Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet dongle isn't too overpriced (Edit: $30), its a solution, esp. considering that there are now 2 Thunderbolt ports and HDMI and 3 USB3 ports. On an old MBP with 2xUSB2 (not fast enough for 1Gbps and hard on the CPU) and only 1 Thunderbolt (which doubles as the only display output) it would have been a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.