No FCPX update today only means one thing...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cflem, Sep 25, 2017.

1. cflem macrumors member

cflem

2. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

I am expecting VR and 360 video capabilities to be included, as well as better performance with Metal 2. And do I ask a lot for OMF export?

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I was hoping it would be released today. I have been wanting to go and test HEVC with my iPhone 7 and see how well it works on my 2015 15". Considering no hardware acceleration, I'm expecting sad results.

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Hopefully coming today, it's 10am Pacific on a Tuesday....

5. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

I have a feeling it will arrive late next month, as I believe Apple will first need to see what kind of bugs High Sierra causes to the current version of FCPX.

6. BeechFlyer macrumors regular

BeechFlyer

What's the recommendation for FCP X users at this time? Is it safe to upgrade to High Sierra, or wait? Has Apple said anything either way?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I got an email from Apple a few days ago which states that "Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5 and Compressor 4 are compatible with macOS High Sierra".

Edit: It also contained a link to https://support.apple.com/en-nz/HT207888 which lists the specific version numbers.

8. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

Based on my experience I recommend to wait a bit. I don’t know, Fcpx feels a little laggier, although I run it on old hardware, and there are some UI bugs that weren’t there with Sierra.

9. crlosg2 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I think it's safe to wait for a couple weeks or a month for the inevitable new release bugs to be eradicated. Especially if you have older hardware.
    BTW, love your videos man! :D

10. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

|It's not working and there's no update or information on a new release.. :(

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Apple says that it works, so can you be more specific than "it's not working"?

12. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Current version of FCPX works for me on High Sierra. I'm on a 6 core trash can with dual D500's and 32GB of RAM.

13. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I've noticed a few small glitches here and there with 10.3.4 on High Sierra on my 2015 MBP, but nothing to write home about. Mainly glitching with the playback window not being able to resize the video as request unless I first shrink the window by enlarging the timeline height wise.

What I'm angry about is the fact that iMovie users got HEVC support day one, and FCPX users, who have been asking for HEVC for years, are still left in the dust. Apple had the entire development period of 10.13 to start working on that update, and all of the beta cycle to get it fine tuned. Had I known that HEVC was a month or more out, I would have left my computer on Sierra while they work the bugs out.

14. campyguy macrumors 68040

FYI, Jordan Kahn posted an update of what they've "learned" about the timing of an update to FCPX, but I'm not happy about what's in the post regarding that, um, "timing":
    Final Cut Pro X update coming soon with High Sierra/iOS 11 feature support

"…coming soon with High Sierra/iOS 11 feature support" is in the post's title, "Apple is planning an update that will arrive before the end of the year" is in the first paragraph, and "There’s no word on exactly when the update for Final Cut Pro X will arrive … but we’re told by those in the know that it’s planned for sometime later this year" is later in the post. So, crap - my 2¢

15. RCAFBrat macrumors 6502

Will probably drop when the new iMac Pro is released or makes its debut at an event.

Wonder if we'll get any news of the new Mac Pro at the same time?

Cheers

16. cflem thread starter macrumors member

cflem

It’s probably a pretty big update... 10.4 and I’m betting support for iOS... in the form of iOS apps...

17. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

So what is the "one thing" that no update meant? ;) I wonder if it will be a paid update? They could call it Final Cut Pro 11. That would suck, since I finally switched from legacy FCP to FCPX over the summer. Would be just my luck, I got Logic 9 just a few months before they rolled out Logic X, which was a paid update.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I noticed the other day that Compressor is still 32-bit, so there's probably some 64-bitting going on behind the scenes. I'm not sure about the other apps.

19. e1me5 macrumors regular

e1me5

If I remember correctly, they previewed some features of the next update of this current version, back at WWDC last summer, so I do not believe the next update will be a paid one.

I was daydreaming about an FCPX iOS app that can be used standalone and also be paired with the Mac version to expand functionality.

20. Msivyparrot macrumors regular

Msivyparrot

For me the big thing I am hoping for, is scaleable proxy files, where you get to choose the heaviness of the compression, instead of taking the file into compressor, which is frankly a pain...

I would love to have the same color bars, test tone, tape leader as there was in old final cut, a great way to set up an edit, just create/drag and drop...

Talk is Apple might drop and update at the end of October, there is an event and a visit to Apple...so drop an update then sort of make sense, it has been a while since 10.3.3 to 10.3.4...End of May..so almost 5 months..

21. cflem thread starter macrumors member

cflem

It’s coming... the 32bit apps says it’s coming. The fact that it’s this late says it’s big and complex... and hopefully lots of new stuff.

I just want iOS apps too.

22. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Just got an e-mail from FCPEffects announcing 75% off their plug-ins through October 11. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I'd say there will be a big FCPX update on October 12 that will break all their plug-ins, so they're trying to unload as many as possible now. :D

23. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I wonder if 10.4 (or whatever this update will be called) will be a free update or paid for the first time. I hope not.

And if iOS support comes I'll be ecstatic. My 10.5" Pro and Pencil are ready!

24. joema2 macrumors 65816

joema2

It is unlikely that FCPX, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Excel or any other complex professional desktop app can be ported with full functionality to iOS as it now exists. All those apps have a rich, complex UI system composed of hundreds of various widgets, dialog boxes, toolbars, controls, and cascading menus -- all hooked to specific code that operates them. There is simply no place to put all those UI elements in the iOS interface.

Mobile devices now have the horsepower to run something like FCPX or Premiere but it's not possible from a UI standpoint to port that software. It would require a total redesign and and rewrite of the application. It would be a much bigger change than going from FCP7 to FCPX. This would then have to be maintained as a separate app from the desktop version. However I have never seen a paper or proposal which explains how that much desktop interface functionality could be shoehorned into the UI architecture of current mobile operating systems.

25. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

To me it really doesn't matter. What I would like to do is just import the footage to my iPad and have more granular control over things, like clip splicing, retiming, dragging and dropping of elements. I understand most professionals can't use just that, but it would be nice to begin editing on something as small and light as an iPad, then plug the device in to your Mac and just transfer the file over to the desktop version of Final Cut. I understand that this would be a monumental undertaking, but I think it could be done. And if there was one company that could make the software and hardware work together, it would be Apple.