Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
crap. i was all set to buy it to replace my garmin until i realized that i would have to actually carry around a G...D... phone as well. i need two devices to track my activities? please tell me how that makes anything better.
Which Garmin watch are you using that has GPS?

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Buy a real watch. What's with the toy choices. Suunto, Timex and Garmin are the real players here.

What's your budget? Fenix 2 is the best looking watch on the market if you have the cash. Some early modules are a bit buggy but patches and replacements have been solving that.

http://unconstituted.com/gear/18-gear-re/24-garmin-fenix-2

I am kind of beginner in running and i dont want to spend too much. I have been using my iphone 5 and nike + app for statistics. I wanted tobe more comfortable and leave my phone at home.

I will check fenix 2. Thanks.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
I am kind of beginner in running and i dont want to spend too much. I have been using my iphone 5 and nike + app for statistics. I wanted tobe more comfortable and leave my phone at home.

I will check fenix 2. Thanks.

Here's a really good cheaper alternative.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tomtom-runner_GPS---Sat-Nav_review

It has an accelerometer.

It can track your run inertially. Doesn't need gps.

Be serious.

Accelerometers can't 'track' anything. They can guess your stride if you input data about your height etc. A nice toy for children starting out in sport. They certainly have no way to 'track' a run as GPS can.

In the early 2000's this was acceptable as GPS was out of the budget for a lot of people. However GPS watches are available sub £100 now.

Indoor runners will buy a footpod to pair with their GPS watch for the complete package.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
I don't run and wanted to represent all the fit people who don't run.

Well if you're a cyclist, mountaineer, trekker, hiker, swimmer, triathlete or whatever it is you describe yourself as.

AppleWatch still blows for you.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Well if you're a cyclist, mountaineer, trekker, hiker, swimmer, triathlete or whatever it is you describe yourself as.

If u just do some lifting and cardio indoors, then it's fine ;)

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You don't, so go out and buy a watch now then.

Which watch are you going to get now?

Unfortunately the apple watch is not available.
I was on the fence but became convinced after the Hodinkee article.
It should be a fun toy to play with although it will be useless after a year.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Unfortunately the apple watch is not available.
I was on the fence but became convinced after the Hodinkee article.
It should be a fun toy to play with although it will be useless after a year.

So.

Even though there are better watches in every way - style, weight, functionality, that are available now. You still won't buy one.

You just want a shiny Apple toy. That's cool, just say that. Don't try and make it seem like it's anything to do with sport ;). And ignore articles about tech - nearly all are shilling it for web hits and early access begging.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
So.

Even though there are better watches in every way - style, weight, functionality, that are available now. You still won't buy one.

You just want a shiny Apple toy. That's cool, just say that. Don't try and make it seem like it's anything to do with sport ;). And ignore articles about tech - nearly all are shilling it for web hits and early access begging.

I do have some better watches; not sure if you're talking about smart watches but I have no interest in the other smart watches currently available.
They all look like ****.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
With no doppler radar built in, the Apple Watch will be useless for pitching coaches.
With no laser range finder built in, the Apple Watch will be useless for golfers.
With no tachometer built in, the Apple Watch will be useless for tuning model airplane engines.

Now you're just being silly. There is no reason whatsoever to use an Apple watch if you're a runner/walker/cyclist etc because you still have to carry your phone to get the mapping/logging capabilities. I just think that was a feature that should have been included.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
I do have some better watches; not sure if you're talking about smart watches but I have no interest in the other smart watches currently available.
They all look like ****.

Fenix 2 is regarded as the best looking sports watch on the market. From a man's POV it's incredible. All blacked out and mean looking. You can't even compare Apple's toywatch to something like it.

GAR32_1000_4.jpg

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Fenix 2 is regarded as the best looking sports watch on the market. From a man's POV it's incredible. All blacked out and mean looking. You can't even compare Apple's toywatch to something like it.

Sorry.
I'm more of a Patek, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Rolex and Panerai kind of a guy.
I've never heard of fenix and don't know if it's any good but I definitely won't be buying it before the Apple Watch.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Sorry.
I'm more of a Patek, Audemars Piguet, Breguet, Rolex and Panerai kind of a guy.
I've never heard of fenix and don't know if it's any good but I definitely won't be buying it before the Apple Watch.

Garmin. Garmin make the Fenix 2.

You're a fashion guy, that's why you've never heard of it.

That's why you like the AppleWatch :cool:

I'm not into fashion, but I know people who are. My gf follows it and is really stylish. My hangup here is that Apple used the moniker 'sports' for one of their watches - and have no place doing so - it's misleading.

cypriot

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011

It is nice. However where i live it is expensive as a new full spec pc. I will pass that. Its a sports gadget afterall. Not a word for the expensive watches because they have other purposes.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009

Its very thick and fat

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Its very thick and fat

Only around 4mm thickness difference between the two and this is full-on 50 hour GPS watch with ANT+ BT LE etc

It's only 90 grams too. AppleWatch will likely be significantly heavier due to having a metal chassis.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Garmin. Garmin make the Fenix 2.

You're a fashion guy, that's why you've never heard of it.

That's why you like the AppleWatch :cool:

I'm not into fashion, but I know people who are. My gf follows it and is really stylish. My hangup here is that Apple used the moniker 'sports' for one of their watches - and have no place doing so - it's misleading.

Mm I don't know.
My Patek may be fashionable in some circles but they're going to last far longer than any electronic gadget I own.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Mm I don't know.
My Patek may be fashionable in some circles but they're going to last far longer than any electronic gadget I own.

You didn't buy a Patek for longevity :D You can buy a 10 dollar Casio that's more accurate than any Patek and will give you better value/time.

You bought the Patek for style and status. I post on WUS, I'm familiar with the watch scene :)

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You didn't buy a Patek for longevity :D You can buy a 10 dollar Casio that's more accurate than any Patek and will give you better value/time.

You bought the Patek for style and status. I post on WUS, I'm familiar with the watch scene :)

I bought it with the next generation in mind.
I did buy the other watches for status and style but not a single soul notices my Patek when I wear one.

The history of the brand was important for me but not for status per se.
A white gold Calatrava is hardly something you buy for showing off (except on Instagram).

Regarding a $10 Casio, I'm not really into buying cheap things.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013

I go out walking a lot as we have a dog and i track a lot of them with Runkeeper. Will be handy with the watch to be able to glance at how far etc we've gone rather than having to take the phone out of a coat pocket, unlock it and get the Runkeeper app up on screen if required especially if the weather is wet\cold\both. Also in the same situations it will be useful if the phone goes off to be able to see who it is, what it is etc without having to dig around the coat pocket for the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.