No "Happy Face" Push App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Project-79, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Project-79 macrumors 6502

Project-79

So, I installed the AIM Push Beta today on my 3.0 GM iPhone. To my surprise, there was no push app. Whenever I get texts, the badges appear on the AIM app itself. Weren't all the push badges going to be on the Happy Face push app. I have so many apps, I don't want to scroll through my pages to see if I got any messages, I wanted it all in one easy spot.

So, I guess my question is, will there be a push app, or will all the badges be on their different apps?

Thanks!

2. The General macrumors 601

What? LOL What use would that be? The happy face push app was just an example chat application they used in the keynote explaining push.

Why in the world would you want all of your notifications going to some fake happy face? Wouldn't you want ESPN notifications on your ESPN app and AIM notifications on your AIM app?

I mean, that happy face idea you have sounds absolutely retarded.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Push isn't an app, it's a setting. That "icon" is just used for marketing. Every push-enabled app you have shows up in the notification settings in the Settings.app. It is up to the individual app on how it handles the notifications (i.e. badges, popups, sounds).

4. sharpycl macrumors 6502

sharpycl

I could be TOTALLY wrong on this one, but I thought that happy face pic in all the demos were just that, a demo app and all push notifications would be shown on the app icon as a badge.

I hope i'm wrong cause I LOVE the idea of one central location for all push notifications.

EDIT:

"a demo app and all push notifications would be shown on the app icon as a badge"

sorry I explained that wrong. Hence why I said "I could be totally wrong".

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

6. The General macrumors 601

No, that's completely retarded. The applications that you use all the time and need push notifications for are obviously going to be on your first or second page. There'll be no scrolling through pages unless you don't organize your icons.

On top of that, you get a notification that you can see on your screen like a text message. You won't have to scroll to see if you have any, it will notify you. That's the entire point of its existence. Notifying you. You will know when you get one.

7. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

I don't know about you, but going through all my apps to see if I got anything pushed would get annoying. I have A LOT of apps, so a center push app would be helpful, to me at least.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Wow, that would make no sense. Every single push notification on one app, lol.

9. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

I see a new internet meme being spawned out of this thread.

"Happy Face Push"

10. Project-79 thread starter macrumors 6502

Project-79

1. I organize them alphabeticaly.

2. If I'm getting a lot of stuff pushed, only the most recent would show.

11. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

exactly...why dont you put all your PUSH apps on the first page...
    very hard concept.
    all on one icon would be completely pointless..

12. The General macrumors 601

1. Sucks for you. Organize them by relevance.
    2. The happy face will never happen.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Wouldn't that happy face constantly have a badge on it, then? You'd have to check it all the time just to figure out what's going on.

How is one app having a (12) badge on it all the time, better than several different apps with with (1) and (2) badges?

14. The General macrumors 601

Because he organizes his apps in the most inefficient manor possible and doesn't want to "flip through the pages" to see if he has anything.

15. matttye macrumors 601

You guys are being way too hard on his suggestion, especially when it makes sense. For someone that has page after page of apps, they are not going to want to have to go through them all seeing if anything pushed.

There's no reason badges can't appear on their respective applications AND there be a central place for them.

Or maybe the little dots at the bottom of the home screen could light up green when an app on that page has a notification.

16. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Actually, it sounds cool as hell to me and I hope a developer looks in to it.

How cool would it be to have one icon, in your doc, where ALL notifications go.

Then, when you open that push application, it lists all the notifications, like, say:

ESPN: TO Slaps head Coach
    SMS: From General: I am sorry, it is really not retarded
    AIM: From Mom: Why are you not in your bed
    AP: Obama Fixes the Economy. NOT.

Then, when you click on one of the above rows, it takes you to said app for the full message, notification, or whatever.

Hell, I would kill for this.

Sounds 1,000,000,000,000,000 times better than having 20 apps that notify me of things spread over 15 pages of apps and when my phone makes a sound, having to scroll through 20 pages of apps to find the one that notified me.

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Whilst I have no doubt we'll see hundreds, if not thousands, of apps adding push capabilities, I can't imagine there are many types of apps that will really benefit from the push notifications. Because it is a pretty lightweight approach in all that you can do with push notifications is update a badge count, make a sound or display a message with the option of starting your app from the notification, it's never going to be a very good replacement for background applications. A developer can't, for example, use a push notification to start an app automatically and have it do something.

Obvious candidates are IM applications and news, reminders, etc. Possibly location based apps that would work from your location the last time you started the application could make some use of it, but beyond that there's not a huge range of apps that would really benefit from push notifications...

18. The General macrumors 601

Hey, I've never thought of it that way... Maybe you're right. :rolleyes:

If you want a unified notification area, the solution is not one icon that gets all the notifications. The solution is for Apple to implement a built-in OS unified notification area like the WebOS and Android have.

19. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It can't happen with the current implementation of Push Notifications - each app registers individually for push notifications based on the app bundle and only that app can receive notifications destined for that app.

20. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

This is pretty sad.....A happy face push app...really?.....you had to ask.....sorry but wow. What would be the point in making one app for all the push notifications. Like everybody else is saying....that was a fake demo app to show what it would look like on an actual application.

21. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Right.

But with so many games already made for full screen, it would be hard to implement the Pre-esque notification system at this point, unless the app is just going to auto shrink and not look stupid.

This is a nice alternative.

In fact, I would further this alternative by saying that when in an application, you can do something with the home button to take you right to the notification app. (Double click, click and hold, triple click, whatever isnt taken.)

Read my posts.

The point of having it is clear.

This idea is awesome and I can't believe people are trashing it.

But hey, when you get notified by an app with a notification, have fun wasting time flipping through pages and pages of apps to see which one.

This is one area where the Pre destroys the iPhone.

22. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Sounds stupid as hell, like having all your documents in one folder. You'd never know app had the notification.

23. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Read my post again.

I can't believe anyone reading my description of how this should work would say it is stupid.

What is stupid is having to scroll through 20 pages of apps to figure out which one just notified me.

THAT is stupid.

24. chrisvanhorn macrumors regular

chrisvanhorn

25. admanimal macrumors 68040

Are you really going to get essential notifications from that many different sources?