No HSPA+ on Iphone 4... Disappointing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by siehead, Jun 7, 2010.

1. siehead macrumors newbie

Is this a deal breaker for anyone else? They can't blame AT&T for this shortcoming.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for many improvements, mainly:

Screen resolution
    Processor
    Camera (both of them)
    Gyroscope

But it just seems to me that every year the competition gets closer and closer, and now they may even be on par or better depending on your needs.

I want a bigger screen, faster network and less big brother. I might have to make the switch to android soon...

2. Pared macrumors 65816

Please switch. It will be one less person making threads like this.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op give a valid reason as to why the iPhone needs more than 7.2mbs when most networks can't provide this much in the first place?

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

What HSPA+ network did you plan on using it with? Not AT&T, seeing as they dont have one.

6. siehead thread starter macrumors newbie

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

8. Pared macrumors 65816

The typical new user on MacRumors. Post some non-sense then a cute little quip.

Par for the course. Doesn't justify your thread, especially when you can't even comprehend the sources you quote.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

Interesting... Thanks for the link. No HSPA+ may be a bit disappointing to some, but for me it's not a deal breaker. I'm generally on wifi when using anything data intensive. And as surprising as this sounds, AT&T isn't actually that bad where I live with it's current speed.

10. nutmac macrumors 68040

What's the point of HSPA+ when AT&T has yet to roll out even HSUPA nationally?

Frankly, I am more disappointed by things that affects me in real world, such as lack of 5 GHz WiFi (802.11a/n), lack of capacity bump to 32/64 GB, VGA resolution front camera, and strong possibility that RAM is still limited to 256 MB.

11. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Truthfully, I wish there was one less person making comments like THIS. :p

Tony

12. Goaliegeek macrumors 6502a

Goaliegeek

A little bummed too, but ATT isn't fully rolling HSPA+ out nationwide. It will still be awhile till they do.

13. siehead thread starter macrumors newbie

"The typical new user on MacRumors. Post some non-sense then a cute little quip.

Par for the course. Doesn't justify your thread, especially when you can't even comprehend the sources you quote."

Wow. Such hate. Here is another quote
    http://gizmodo.com/5539391/atts-sup...ver-250-million-people-by-the-end-of-the-year

Or you can just google it yourself.

It was an announcement by AT&T President and CEO John Stankey. If you recall, HSPA 7.2 was not fully released last year when the 3gs came out, but I was happy the 3gs had that capability.

14. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Have you noticed the common theme of your cited sources? Try finding a direct quote from AT&T stating that they are rolling out the service...

15. Pared macrumors 65816

Haha... when your data experience is much better on AT&T, don't forget to thank me. :p

Again, HSPA+ when no carrier can even really provide it right now... and when they can, you won't want to still have the iPhone 4.

Complaints just to complain. All that is missing are links from wired and digg.

16. mbell75 macrumors 6502

*cough* Evo 4G *cough*

17. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Just make sure you have good Sprint service in your area and be ready to accept reduced wifi range. I have an EVO - I know.

18. siehead thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said, HSPA+ will be deployed where most of us live well before the next Iphone comes out. Just as it was with HSPA 7.2. I am glad my 3gs has HSPA 7.2, because my area has had it for the last 6 months.

If you believe that John Stankey's announcement was a lie, or that all the people that reported it are in on a conspiracy, then fine, I don't.

I am not complaining just to complain, but to see if there are others out there that share the same thoughts as me. You clearly do not. I get it. No need to insult me or make assumptions about my motivations.

19. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Not everyone's on AT&T. I have full HSPA+ coverage where I live and it works very well when using a compatible device. If Apple wants to go for "lowest common denominator" when we might as well go back to GPRS.

20. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

OP, if AT&T has definite plan to roll out HSPA+ by end of this year, why wouldn't they announce it? You think they'll do it silently and just surprise the end-users with something like:

"Dear loyal AT&T customers, we have secretly upgraded your service to reward your loyal patronage..."

21. siehead thread starter macrumors newbie

It was announced by the CEO at a Reuters event on May 14th! Just google it. What more do you want?

22. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Cite a source, and why are you keep on citing 3rd party sources?

23. siehead thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the article written by a reporter who directly interviews Stankey and got the exclusive, hope this suffices.

http://gigaom.com/2010/05/17/exclus...edium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+OmMalik+(GigaOM)

Seems as though the link is broken, I'll try to find another one for you.

Here is google's cached version, see if that works...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...+exclusive+att+hspa+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

24. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Citing my previous comment, and perhaps you can provide an explanation on why AT&T doesn't make the announcement on what would be a great marketing scheme if the rollout is certain?

25. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Instead of flaming the OP, you should probably know that the USA is not the only country on this planet, and AT&T isn't the only network that carries the iPhone. There are many, many, many more networks around the world that carry the iPhone - and they also use HSPA+.

* * *​

I love this forum, but why are there certain people on here that can't see out of the RDF, and feel it necessary to attack anyone who questions Apple's decisions? Remember, this is a forum.