Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Appleinsider is reporting that Apple is unlikely to update the iMac at the Worldwide Developers Conference next week.

Rumors of a "late June" iMac update with "striking new industrial designs" have been circulating around the Internet over the past few months. It appears users will have to wait a little longer. Our Buyer's Guide reveals that the iMac was last updated 273 days ago, with an average update cycle of 168 days.

Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off next week on Monday, June 11th with a keynote speech. Apple is expected to focus on Leopard during the keynote and reveal the "top secret" features that were alluded to at last year's WWDC.

Live text and photo updates will take place at MacRumorsLive.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference kicks off next week on Monday, June 11th with a keynote speech.

I wasn't expecting an update to a consumer mac at WWDC. Maybe slight updates to Mac Pro 2Gb minimum Ram and lots of talk about Leopard.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Not really a surprise. If there is going to be a new form-factor it'll be a tower, not a consumer device.

other

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2005
Why would they announce consumer targeted products at a developer conferance?

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I voted positive on this.
Even though we need new iMacs, I'd really like to see the keynote mostly devoted to Leopard and its "secret features."

badcrumble

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
It's okay with me if the update doesn't come at the WWDC. I don't want it to be just a speed bump when it comes, though - I'm not buying a new iMac until the new industrial design comes out, and I don't want to have to wait for the fall. There is guaranteed to be a Santa Rosa iMac update fairly soon, the big questions are only when it's coming and whether there will be a casing redesign now or later.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Not surprised. But with such long periods since the last update (for this AND the Mac mini), what can we expect?

Are they getting rid of the iThing entirely?

No more iLife or iWork?

Changing to a different scheme? About friggin' time!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
As long as it's still going to be updated in the near future, I don't see this as a big deal. Plus, WWDC is a professional developer's conference - if anything we should be seeing Mac Pro updates, not consumer updates such as the iMac at an event such as WWDC.

Regardless, I am very much looking forward to the rumored new design. I might just have toi pick one up myself... :cool:

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Well, I guess this can be seen as good news as it increases the chances the Mac Pro will be updated there. They definitely need to add 2gb min. of ram since the MBP has it. Increase the video card and then hopefully add the 8 core processor across the board on all models.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Shame. I'm sure the current iMac was unveiled at WWDC, but maybe not :confused:

I hope there's some new hardware.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Not surprised. But with such long periods since the last update (for this AND the Mac mini), what can we expect?

Are they getting rid of the iThing entirely?

No more iLife or iWork?

Changing to a different scheme? About friggin' time!

Perhaps instead if yearly updates to iLife and iWork as we've seen in the past, the next versions will be "iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard" to take advanatge of Leopard's new technologies...

Plus, with the iPhone AppleTV, Leopard, etc., Apple's resources haven't exactly had spare cycles to work on these suites as of late - they can only do so much!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Shame. I'm sure the current iMac was unveiled at WWDC, but maybe not :confused:

Nope - the latest updates to the iMac occurred in January, July and September of 2006. January was Intel, July was the educational model and September was the latest update.

Nonetheless, an update is defintely overdue - let's hope it's a major one!

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Perhaps instead if yearly updates to iLife and iWork as we've seen in the past, the next versions will be "iLife Leopard" and "iWork Leopard" to take advanatge of Leopard's new technologies...

Plus, with the iPhone AppleTV, Leopard, etc., Apple's resources haven't exactly had spare cycles to work on these suites as of late - they can only do so much!

I mean the names. What if they end the iMac, iLife, iWork lines and create a new consumer desktop line and integrate iLife and iWork, just referring to them as their app names?

Damn. I didn't think about iTunes, though, which they'll probably never change.

A Pittarelli

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2007
im calling it now, theyre going to replace the imac line with something else. redisgned and essentially the same thing, but with a renamed product

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
WWDC will be about Leopard (including the iPhone variety). I can HOPE for an ultraportable laptop announcement, but I won't hold my breath. That will happen eventually--and so will new iMacs.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Why would they announce consumer targeted products at a developer conferance?

Because developers use computers as well, even those dreaded consumer-models? Are we forgetting that Apple has used WWDC to introduce products that were not really about developers, like iSight? And hasn't Jobs quite often demoed iLife at WWDC?

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I don't know.. but this WWDC seems like it might be a yawner... i mean the whole thing to be devoted to Leopard only? I suppose they'll talk about the whole iPhone devoloping tools too, but it just seems like an hour/ hour and a half keynote about Leopard/iPhone OS is going to be sort of boring... maybe I'm wrong cuz i'm not a devoloper. So devolopers out there... is an hour and a half duable for those 2 things?

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
The new iMac will probably be announced at WWDC but it will probably not be shipped or in the Apple stores until late June as rumored. I am excited about WWDC this time. There is just over 5 days until Steve Jobs keynote speech. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.