Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
I know this is MacRumors an all, but hear me out: I'm not the type of person to let myself get carried away. And while I enjoy the rumors- don't you think it's a little much?

No one has even given any thought about the possibility of there not being a next generation iPad in a few days.

They just say, "No! It's coming whether you believe it or not."

But what about the iPhone5-in-the-bar fiasco? The "iPhone 5 prototype" unboxing video? The misinformed manufactures who build cases for non existent products?

Let's not get carried away.

The reason why I believe that there is a possibility that there may not be another iPad in the next few weeks is because- who's the target market? I mean look at all Apple has done. Incredible. Schools are using iPad 2's. Pilots are using iPad 2's. And many others who are just recieving them or haven't recieved them yet.

What would happen if another one was released? Is the market ready for that kind of thing?

All I see is baseless rumors. They can't even think up anything good and there is no reason to have another iPad. LTE? Better resolution? Could you imagine how poorly that would sell? Let's save that for when we can have some better ideas.

The iPad 2 is the it. And it will be for months to come. It can't get any thinner. It's not in need of an upgrade.

Now, that first week of March, if I'm wrong you can all come and tell me "I told you so!"

But if I'm right.....

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
it's very simple. Apple will make it cause people will buy it.

(says the guy in the market for an iPad right now).

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
ban this poster asap! this kind of talk must not be tolerated. i already sold my ipad 2 :(

actually, i think the iphone 5 (and ipad3) talk in september was silly. the expectations for features were way out of line with past precedent. and, as we found out later, steve only had a few days left with the company.

now, cook is in charge, the ipad is definitely falling behind in terms of specs, it is certainly due for a redesign, and the market is obviously ready to pay for it. it makes a lot of sense--much more than the iphone 5 in september. i think apple would be rather foolish for failing to release something soon.

but, i guess you never know. i can't go long without a tablet, so if apple doesn't produce something, i might just try an android!

jsbaugh

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2009
I know this is MacRumors an all, but hear me out: I'm not the type of person to let myself get carried away. And while I enjoy the rumors- don't you think it's a little much?

No one has even given any thought about the possibility of there not being a next generation iPad in a few days.

But what about the iPhone5-in-the-bar fiasco? The "iPhone 5 prototype" unboxing video? The misinformed manufactures who build cases for non existent products?

The reason why I believe that there is a possibility that there may not be another iPad in the next few weeks is because- who's the target market? I mean look at all Apple has done. Incredible. Schools are using iPad 2's. Pilots are using iPad 2's. And many others who are just recieving them or haven't recieved them yet.

What would happen if another one was released? Is the market ready for that kind of thing?

All I see is baseless rumors. They can't even think up anything good and there is no reason to have another iPad. LTE? Better resolution? Could you imagine how poorly that would sell? Let's save that for when we can have some better ideas.

The iPad 2 is the it. And it will be for months to come. It can't get any thinner. It's not in need of an upgrade.

Now, that first week of March, if I'm wrong you can all come and tell me "I told you so!"

But if I'm right.....

Is this a joke?

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

All I see is baseless rumors. Now, that first week of March, if I'm wrong you can all come and tell me you told me do. But if I'm right.....

Contrary to the opinion of all the posters who say "Apple needs competition to innovate," what Apple needs is to maintain sales and growth. You don't do that with stale product. There are 55 million plus iPads out there with a good percentage of potential buyers for the latest and greatest. It's still a growing market and Apple is and will continue to be facing new competition, so there's really no likelihood that they'll be resting on their laurels for an indeterminate period.

And you can't compare it to iPhones. People lock into 2-year contracts so Apple has latitude to release phones any time after the 1-year mark and before the 2 years are up. iPads don't have that locked-in base.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010

But if I'm right.....

It doesn't matter how little of an upgrade it is, the iPad 3 will sell more than the iPad 2. Just like the iPhone 4S outsold the iPhone 4, and that was really a minor bump. All it brought was an A5, 8MP camera, 1080p, and Siri. For everyday purposes, it's pretty much an iPhone 4; but it sold by the boatloads.

I think it's safe to assume we will see an iPad 3 announcement within a months time; and even though it will more than likely look the same on the outside when the screens turned off, it will sell like crazy. A high resolution screen alone is a big enough of an upgrade for people to buy it. Not to mention A6, improved cameras, more RAM, and possible LTE. Plus, who knows what Apple will surprise us with in terms of software. Maybe they will introduce some app that no one saw coming.

Apples a massive business, they don't just wait because the current product is "good enough". They constantly innovate and release updates to their product lines; and who can blame them when everyone knows tons of people will rush out to buy it.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
...All I see is baseless rumors. They can't even think up anything good and there is no reason to have another iPad. LTE? Better resolution? Could you imagine how poorly that would sell? Let's save that for when we can have some better ideas.

But if I'm right.....

I told you so (just wanted to get in there first). Just reference this next month.

I know you are new round these parts, but the rumors are far from baseless, and are more convincing than previous prelaunch rumors.

I want Apple to be the kind of company you seem to want it to be. I want them to rest on their laurels and let everyone else catch up. I don't want improved battery life, a faster wireless connection, a faster processor, or more memory. :rolleyes:

If you are happy with the iPad 2, by all means skip out on the 3. But in a month your iPad 2 will be the "it was."

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Of course it's possible.

Yet you've still got hundreds of people selling their iPad 2s without even knowing if a new iPad is coming out at all, never mind whether it's a worthwhile upgrade. :confused:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
There are many reasons to release a new version:

1. Potential new customers/switchers (must persuade them)
2. Upgraders (some customers always want the latest and the greatest)
3. Competition (if others have higher-resolution display and LTE, so should iPads or you may lose customers)
4. Introduce new revolutionary technology and grab more customers
5. etc.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Yet you've still got hundreds of people selling their iPad 2s without even knowing if a new iPad is coming out at all, never mind whether it's a worthwhile upgrade. :confused:

Didn't we discuss this in a different thread? You may not agree with the following, but there's no reason to act like you can't understand why people would do this.

I think a lot of people feel that (a) there's a very high probability that the third generation ipad will have a substantially higher resolution screen and (b) that alone is (to them) a worthwhile upgrade. They may also simply value having the latest version and know they'd buy the new one in all likelihood.

They also probably realize that if the new model is NOT "worth it", they can easily repurchase a used/refurbished/clearanced 2nd generation version and maybe even have money left over. That would be a worst case scenario and very unlikely to apply to many of the people selling their ipad2's now.

There are also tons of people who really can't do without their ipads and definitely will hang onto theirs until after a new version is released, at which point they'll decide whether or not to upgrade. Tradeoff is having continued use of the ipad vs. higher upgrade cost due to reduced resale value.

Both of these philosophies (and other variations) are perfectly understandable.

HERO XXL

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
...must...resist...temptation...to...downvote.....!

We WANT it to happen!!!
Don't rain on our parade!!!
To even CONSIDER such a thought is blasphemy!!!!

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Didn't we discuss this in a different thread? You may not agree with the following, but there's no reason to act like you can't understand why people would do this.

I think a lot of people feel that (a) there's a very high probability that the third generation ipad will have a substantially higher resolution screen and (b) that alone is (to them) a worthwhile upgrade. They may also simply value having the latest version and know they'd buy the new one in all likelihood.

They also probably realize that if the new model is NOT "worth it", they can easily repurchase a used/refurbished/clearanced 2nd generation version and maybe even have money left over. That would be a worst case scenario and very unlikely to apply to many of the people selling their ipad2's now.

We discussed it yeah, and I pointed out that I thought very few people would even think about re-buying an iPad 2. I still feel that way.

I just think its crazy selling the product without even knowing what upgrades the updated iPad will bring. They could be very small upgrades. I think most apple fans that have sold their iPad 2s already will go ahead and buy an iPad 3 even if the upgrades are small and not really worth it.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
...must...resist...temptation...to...downvote.....!

We WANT it to happen!!!
Don't rain on our parade!!!
To even CONSIDER such a thought is blasphemy!!!!

Haha... Still, it's always a possibility until announced. There's also that little Proview matter waiting in the wings.

iWantThat

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2011
This poster is a troll. Check out his past posts. Always just trying to get a rise out of people. We all understand that nothing is guaranteed but to ignore all of the part leaks and reports from the Wall Street Journal and other credible sources (Jim Dalrymple says hello) is just assinine.

Also, to say LTE and an improved screen isn't going to boost sales is down right stupid.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
We discussed it yeah, and I pointed out that I thought very few people would even think about re-buying an iPad 2. I still feel that way.

I just think its crazy selling the product without even knowing what upgrades the updated iPad will bring. They could be very small upgrades. I think most apple fans that have sold their iPad 2s already will go ahead and buy an iPad 3 even if the upgrades are small and not really worth it.

i know my needs. even an incremental improvement would make it worth it for me. it may not be worth it for you. that's cool. but, that doesn't make me crazy. every apple upgrade in the past has been worth it. there is no reason to think this one won't be.

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012
This poster is a troll. Check out his past posts. Always just trying to get a rise out of people. We all understand that nothing is guaranteed but to ignore all of the part leaks and reports from the Wall Street Journal and other credible sources (Jim Dalrymple says hello) is just assinine.

Also, to say LTE and an improved screen isn't going to boost sales is down right stupid.

Do not call me a troll, please. As an Apple user myself, I have a right to state my opinion. And this is a legitimate concern.

=====

Unconfirmed sources are telling us one thing, while Apple Inc. has not said one word.

It becomes a problem when you see articles stating that the iPad 3 was supposed to be released last year.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/

I don't understand why people says it HAS to be released and completely ignore Apple's silence.

We knew when Windows 8 is coming, we knew Transformers 4 is coming even Android phones. There's always an announcement.

But do you think it's ethical- to just release a product like a surprise birthday party? We're dealing with a lot of users and a lot of money here.

It's starting to get out of control.

its93rc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
Texas
Do not call me a troll, please. As an Apple user myself, I have a right to state my opinion. And this is a legitimate concern.

=====

Unconfirmed sources are telling us one thing, while Apple Inc. has not said one word.

It becomes a problem when you see articles stating that the iPad 3 was supposed to be released last year.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/02/09/ipad-3/

I don't understand why people says it HAS to be released and completely ignore Apple's silence.

We knew when Windows 8 is coming, we knew Transformers 4 is coming even Android phones. There's always an announcement.

But do you think it's ethical- to just release a product like a surprise birthday party? We're dealing with a lot of users and a lot of money here.

It's starting to get out of control.

1. I didn't even bother reading this, but there have been confirmations by SOURCED PEOPLE + Part Leaks
2. Of course Apple won't say a thing, are you new at the rumor game?

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I pointed out that I thought very few people would even think about re-buying an iPad 2. I still feel that way.

And I agreed with the reminder that I'd stated it would be a worst-case-scenario -- i.e. what's the worst that happens, you essentially end up back where you were. That's a pretty decent worst-case outcome.

I just think its crazy selling the product without even knowing what upgrades the updated iPad will bring.

It seems you're really disapproving towards people who choose to do this. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
i know my needs. even an incremental improvement would make it worth it for me. it may not be worth it for you. that's cool. but, that doesn't make me crazy. every apple upgrade in the past has been worth it. there is no reason to think this one won't be.

Would you be looking to upgrade your iPad 2 if you didn't know the iPad 3 was coming out? If your answer to this is no then you don't need an iPad 3 and are buying it for the sake of it.

There's nothing really wrong with that if you can afford it.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Would you be looking to upgrade your iPad 2 if you didn't know the iPad 3 was coming out? If your answer to this is no then you don't need an iPad 3 and are buying it for the sake of it.

There's nothing really wrong with that if you can afford it.

i don't see things this way. i found the ipad 1 a little slow in rendering my pdf files, the ipad 2 was better, but still too slow for my taste. assuming there is a processor bump, i expect to be even more pleased with the ipad 3. i sold the ipad 2 and so it essentially cost me about 20 dollars per month to rent it. it's a little expensive, but not too bad. this time around i will buy it right away, so i guess it'll cost me 10 to 15 dollars per month.

Shadow1psc

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
I told you so (just wanted to get in there first). Just reference this next month.

I know you are new round these parts, but the rumors are far from baseless, and are more convincing than previous prelaunch rumors.

I want Apple to be the kind of company you seem to want it to be. I want them to rest on their laurels and let everyone else catch up. I don't want improved battery life, a faster wireless connection, a faster processor, or more memory. :rolleyes:

If you are happy with the iPad 2, by all means skip out on the 3. But in a month your iPad 2 will be the "it was."

I like Apple's model because it seems to me it actually DOES give people that opportunity to catch up. I bought an iPhone 3G, skipped 3GS, bought an iPhone 4, skipped iPhone 4s, and I'll be buying this year's iPhone, whenever that is. I've got the iPod nano from right before they switched to squares, and just bought an iPod Touch. I can skip every other iteration of an Apple product, knowing full well there will just be more to come, and if I wanted to be crazy enough to buy them all, I'd be broke instead of able to enjoy what I already have. I bought an iPad at launch, skipped the iPad 2, and I will probably buy this year's iteration to go with my 2011 iMac.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
And I agreed with the reminder that I'd stated it would be a worst-case-scenario -- i.e. what's the worst that happens, you essentially end up back where you were. That's a pretty decent worst-case outcome.

Worst case scenario would be that you can't buy an iPad for what you sold it for and lose a bit of money.

It seems you're really disapproving towards people who choose to do this. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

I think it stifles innovation when customers are willing to blindly buy a product without seeing what updates it will bring.

Have you noticed that Android phones are evolving faster than the iPhone? Clearly Apple wins in terms of software for a lot of people, but nobody can deny that Android phones in terms of hardware are evolving faster. Android phones have 4G support, NFC, quad core processors (very soon), hd screens, etc.

Android phone manufacturers are lagging behind Apple so they're working hard to try to entice customers, hence the level of evolution seen. However, because of how popular iPhones are, Apple can be complacent and people will still blindly buy the next product. If less people did this, we could be seeing iPhones which are also rapidly adopting the fresh technology that so many people have asked for countless times and been disappointed with when Apple hasn't listened.

Android may have a greater market share than iOS but no single Android device even comes close, hence why Apple can be complacent.

----------

i don't see things this way. i found the ipad 1 a little slow in rendering my pdf files, the ipad 2 was better, but still too slow for my taste. assuming there is a processor bump, i expect to be even more pleased with the ipad 3. i sold the ipad 2 and so it essentially cost me about 20 dollars per month to rent it. it's a little expensive, but not too bad. this time around i will buy it right away, so i guess it'll cost me 10 to 15 dollars per month.

If there's something you don't like about the iPad 2 then fine, upgrading is a no brainer. :)

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
If there's something you don't like about the iPad 2 then fine, upgrading is a no brainer. :)

so, i guess you can see that it isn't crazy at all? if it doesn't come out in march, i will be quite disappointed, but i think i have made an educated gamble and lost very little money in the process (ipads are already selling for much less than i sold mine for last week).

worst-case scenario? i visit macrumors more often :)

I think it stifles innovation when customers are willing to blindly buy a product without seeing what updates it will bring.
maybe. but, they have a proven track record. if apple screws this up, then they'll lose a lot of business. i think it is that simple. we're not mindless simpletons. i'm watching every single android release as well, just in case :)

motoleo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 27, 2012

Have you noticed that Android phones are evolving faster than the iPhone? Clearly Apple wins in terms of software for a lot of people, but nobody can deny that Android phones in terms of hardware are evolving faster. Android phones have 4G support, NFC, quad core processors (very soon), hd screens, etc.

Android phone manufacturers are lagging behind Apple so they're working hard to try to entice customers, hence the level of evolution seen. However, because of how popular iPhones are, Apple can be complacent and people will still blindly buy the next product. If less people did this, we could be seeing iPhones which are also rapidly adopting the fresh technology that so many people have asked for countless times and been disappointed with when Apple hasn't listened.

Android may have a greater market share than iOS but no single Android device even comes close, hence why Apple can be complacent.

Finally. Reason.
cheer1-1.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.