No iPhone 5...Iphone 4S more likey?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aibo82, Mar 7, 2011.

1. aibo82 macrumors 6502

Hi

I keep reading all the rumours on iphone 5 and I don't see it happening this year and id be very shocked if it did!

I think more likely we'll get the iPhone 4S with a few spec bumps same design and a white version so:

8mp cam
    A5 Chip for speed
    And the new iOS notifications

Thats about it!

What do you guys think?

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I could care less about new hardware, I love my iPhone 4. I just want iOS5!

3. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Ditto. I'm not upgrading until LTE is standard everywhere.

4. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Themes, lockscreen widgets and a new back material, perhaps Liquid Metal.

5. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

If it's the iPhone 4Gs that will see I think it's all about the 4G... I think that's the only new thing we'll see in the new iphone 4Gs

6. vladtheimpaler macrumors regular

vladtheimpaler

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1110840

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

If an iPhone is released this year with ANY change whatsoever, it will be the iPhone 5, or 5th version of the iPhone. Period. If you don't believe me, then think real hard as to how we got to iPhone 4 to begin with. Why can we even call this an iPhone 4? Because the other three iPhones were 1,2, and 3 regardless of whether they got a minor upgrade (OG to 3G) or a major upgrade (3G to 3GS).

8. rovex macrumors 65816

It might be called iPhone 5, but the specs will be that of an iPhone 4S. You can bank on it.

The iPad 2 has foreshadowed much of what to expect.

At most there will be a larger display, on top of A5 chip, 8mp cam, 1gb of ram and maybe just maybe 1080p video and FaceTime HD.

9. aibo82 thread starter macrumors 6502

So whats not saying it would follow suit? and that's apples plan now they really going to let the design of iphone 4 only last a year:

Iphone 3G to 3GS same design
    Iphone 4 to 4GS same design

I don't think there is any reason for them to change the whole manufacturing process even apple themselves has said THIS IS THE BIGGEST LEAP FORWARD!

There isnt much to compete with the iphone 4 design ether so I think it will be just spec bumps following the macbook approach as there using apples famous aluminium and glass already with the iphone 4!

10. kre62 macrumors 68000

I laugh heartily at anyone who says "just" spec bumps. Hilarious really. I bet you think the iPad2 is an incremental upgrade as well?

Design means nothing. Specs/processing means EVERYTHING. Example: Lets say your laptop was slow, and you wanted it tuned up. If I took the case off, and replaced it with a more stylish version, would you consider that an upgraded computer?

The chips don't know that they have a more stylish case. They will perform exactly the same.

The iPhone4 has the same internal components as the 3GS. It was a minor bump, as far as capability is concerned. Yes the new screen is nice, but if I hook up my LCD to different computers, it desnt increase performance.

So, like I said, sure it might be called the 4GS. But if it gets the new A5, it will be a massive upgrade, more so then 3GS to 4. The new dual core proc will be relevent for many years, jsut like the 3GS has been. People who bought the 4 bought tech that was EOL, with every last drop squeezed out of it.

But no matter what happens, it will be the 5th version of the iPhone.

11. afd macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5/4gs will a slight improvement on the iPhone 4 which was a slight improvement on the 3Gs which was a slight improvement on the 3G which was a slight improvement on the original iPhone.
    After going from a 3G to a 4, I'm sticking to a 2 year cycle. I really noticed an improvement.

12. kre62 macrumors 68000

Nope, 3G to 3GS was a huge jump. Youd be better off getting on the opposite cycle, eg 3GS->5->7

The 3G was the last dying breath of the original processor, the 4 is the last effort of the 3GS processor. So you keep buying tech that is maxed out. Better to get the tech as early as possible and have it be relevent longer.

13. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Very normal, every other product is the way to go. I had a 3G, 4 and eventually the 6? I didn't buy an iPad, but will likely buy an iPad2 (but thinking about holding out for Retina).

Every other product. :d

14. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

This. If Apple sticks to the tick tock method of product cycle (spec bump then redesign) for the iPhone, the iPhone 5 -- and will almost assuredly be called iPhone 5 since they called the new iPad "iPad 2" and now "the new iPad" -- it will be as Rovex predicts.

The same external housing, a non-vaporware white version, FaceTime HD, 1080p recording on the rear camera (and likely a jump to 8MP to match Android phones), and an A5 chip. 1GB of RAM and a 64GB version are also possibilities but not as likely. It really depends on how resource-intensive iOS 5 is. If they can get away with sticking with 32GB storage and 512MB of RAM, they will. Also the same or slightly better battery life I'd imagine.

Now the iPhone 6 will probably see a redesign, hopefully with a 4" screen. It'll also have given developers enough time to not get too angry over having to redo their apps again.

15. err404 macrumors 68020

So if they improve the CPU, GPU, memory controller, radio chipset, both cameras, display and the OS; you would consider it to be a 'minor' upgrade that wouldn't justify a full version jump? Really, what does it take to impress you?

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Same. By that point, I'll also decide whether I want to stay with AT&T or possibly switch over to Verizon.

(Of course if apple surprises us and comes out with something new this summer, I'd definitely upgrade.)

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If the physical appearance of the phone doesn't change, I don't think they'll change the number. However, if Apple is feeling the heat from the competition, they'll call it the iPhone 5 and hope everyone thinks it's a complete new phone.

18. err404 macrumors 68020

That's my point. You described updating nearly every component in the phone; including the case to accommodate the larger screen. Or are you suggesting that potential cosmetic similarities relegate it to a less substantive upgrade?

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I go by the table rule: If you can't tell the difference between the two across a table, then it's an upgrade. :)

20. JCCL macrumors 6502a

They'll change the number, that's why the went with the number naming convention in the first place, to make it easy. iPhone 3G is considered iPhone 2, while 3GS would be iPhone 3. Next iPhone will be iPhone 5, not 4S or anything stupid like that.

21. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

For me, it comes down to what the phone can do for me.

***I don't play games on my phone***

Given the above, any spec bump really isn't going to buy me a whole lot. I call, I text, I use fairly simple apps (but I use them a lot). I never find myself saying 'Gee I wish this would go faster'. I'm perfectly content w/ my phone.

My only issue was the network, recently resolved to my utmost satisfaction.

22. kre62 macrumors 68000

Yes every other product is the way to go. But its worse if you do 2,4,6 like youre suggesting. 1,3,5 is better because you get the newest tech, and that tech lasts through two cycles.

23. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Are you sure they're the same processor? The iPhone 4 has the A4 inside (cpu/gpu/mc etc.) I thought the actual CPU in the iPhone 4 was a higher clocked Cortex ARM A8 CPU?

From the 2G->3G the CPU stayed exactly the same, but I'm pretty sure the 4 has a higher clocked CPU than the 3GS.

24. err404, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

err404 macrumors 68020

While packaged differently, the CPU in the iPhone 3Gs and 4 are essential the same tech. They are both Cortex ARM 8 CPU running at 600mhz and 800mhz repetitively. While the 4 is a bit faster (especially in the GPU), it is also driving more pixels. As a result there is little difference in performance. Take a look at an intensive game like Infinity Blade. It runs essential the same on the two devices when running in their respective resolutions.
    The extra RAM in the iPhone 4 counts for more of any performance difference then the CPU/GPU. However the lower RAM on the 3Gs is aided by the fact that the iPad and iPod share the 256 spec, so few devs take advantage of it the 512 on the 4.
    The iPad 2 on the other hand has a massively improved CPU/GPU combo. The efficiencies gained by the dual ARM9 cores and the GPU will run rings around the A4.
    There is a larger absolute and relative improvement in speed between the A4 and A5 then there was between any prior iPhone generation.

25. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Hopefully its an iPhone 4GS That has

White/Black
    16 32 64 GB
    A5
    Retina
    Fixed Antenna like Verizon
    Better Front Camera for FaceTime
    Stronger Glass
    iOS 5
    Maybe Upgraded RAM