No iPhone on the Airplane for you!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Bruce, Jul 3, 2007.

1. The Bruce macrumors newbie

Damn, darn it! You can't use an iPhone on an Airplane even with the airplane mode on. Why? Because the Flight Attendant tells you so. It's lame, but it seems to be the norm. Will we ever be able to use our iPhones on a plane?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Every airline has different rules regarding in-flight cellphone use and individual flight attendants enforce them differently as well.

According to the FCC and FAA the device is legal in airplane mode, but the final decision lies with the airline.

3. ross.32 macrumors 6502

Just do not show it and pretent that it is an iPod :D

4. kalamus macrumors member

She doesnt realize the airplane mode fuction disables the cell phone and the wifi connection. :cool:

5. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I'll be flying this weekend and I intend to use my iPhone on the plane provided I'm not asked to turn it off. OP, what airline were you on?

6. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I used to have the same problem with my treo 650

7. The Bruce thread starter macrumors newbie

American and United.

8. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Yeah but you can't expect them to know everything about gadgets like this. It's far easier for her to say 'you can't use it', than to pull out a manual and start figuring it out.

9. kman34 macrumors member

kman34

I'm also flying this weekend and had intended to use it....why would there be an airplane mode if not for using the IPhone on an airplane?????????

10. Icebird macrumors member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Just keep it in airplane mode and in your pocket and the flight attendant will just see your white headphones. I doubt they'll look hard enough to see if there's a mic on your headphones so that they know you're using the iPhone ones. Of course you could always get that adapter and use real iPod headphones, but I'd rather not invest in that.

But otherwise they should just think it's an iPod, and you can just take the headphones off during liftoff/landing.

11. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Tell them to go f**k themselves, If its legal to use on a plane in Airplane mode then use it. If anyone approaches you say sorry put it in your pocket when their backs turned whip it back out.

12. kman34 macrumors member

kman34

That's sound advice unless you want to watch something...I plan on watching a movie during my flight this weekend.

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

The airlines know that just because it has an airplane mode, some people my not be smart enough to turn it on (or simply just forget) the issues that maybe cause is more troublesome then a depressed music less passenger.

14. boeingair macrumors member

Tell them it's in Airplane Mode (all transmit / receive functions are off). I fly 50K miles a year, saying that has never been an issue.

If the Flight Attendant tries to give you any trouble, ask for the purser.

15. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

I totally agree but any retard can figure out what "Airplane Mode" Means.. surely?!

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

As long as the OP doesn't mind being met at the arrival gate by the police. Right or wrong, US federal law requires compliance with flight crew instructions - even when they're being pinheads.

I fly CO, NW, DL, and AS, and they all seem to understand. My Treo's never been an issue with them, and they are smart enough to understand the "ON-OFF" switch on my Bose QC2's.

17. ross.32 macrumors 6502

My stupid question for the day...what is a purser?

18. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think your giving the general American public to much credit, there are some serious idiots out there.

It's scary

19. paulyras macrumors 6502

I'm on 100+ united flights per year. I've never had them tell me to put my blackberry away, provided I can show them that it's in airplane mode (and they've only even asked about that once or twice.

Almost all of the flight attendants realize there is no real risk to navigation or communication, but some of them just do what they're told, and whenever there's a grey area, they default to the more anal. If you ever want to really have fun, try to get them to bet on how many people's wifi cards are turned on on their laptops.

That said, it is the flight attendant's call, and if he or she is pissed cuz they don't have and iPhone, that becomes your problem.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The purser is generally the lead FA, or the #2. They're the ones responsible for accounting for your cash for them $5 drinks...

21. kman34 macrumors member

kman34

I agree that there are dumb#$$@* out there, but that shouldn't keep me from using my IPhone to watch a movie while in flight...it'll be as safe as a dvd player.

22. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

US Federal Law also allows for the use of FAA-approved portable electronic devices at a height of 10,000 feet or more. Which happens to include cell phones with an airplane mode. So, who trumps who here?

23. paulyras macrumors 6502

United decided it's a more professional term for 'lead flight attendant'. I don't think any other airlines have adopted the verbiage.

For what it's worth, I didn't know that either until I dated one.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The airline/flight attendant.

25. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Lead FA, or PIC, if he/she's brought into it.