No IPS? Really?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rickeames, Apr 13, 2010.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

I think that's my biggest disappointment -- I get IPS on a handheld computer, but the one I really do real work on, I have to deal with 6-bit?

*sigh*

Is the i5 better on battery than the i7? At work I have a new thinkpad with an i7 and it lasts on battery forever.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

I'm right there with you man, an IPS panel and a 1 GB video card and they would've made the sale.

The updates are always lackluster, which I expect, but they always give you half of what you want--

Here's a better GPU--but oh wait we are gonna give you the halfassed 512 MB version

Here's a better screen--but oh wait we are gonna give you a halfassed non-IPS version

i7/1GB VRAM/IPS+res bump was all I was asking for. I thought, skeptical as I am, that a 1 GB VRAM GPU was a given seeing as my 17 month old MBP has a 512 MB card. I thought we would either see neither IPS nor resolution bump, or both.

3. highscheme macrumors regular

I can't believe they didn't put in IPS.

That was the one thing that I figured they would do besides processors.

512mb GPU? I'd rather not even think about that right now, tbh.

4. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

IPS is for wide angle viewing, and these are personal notebooks. You alone are going to sit infront of one and work on it. Why on God's green earth do you want IPS ?

5. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

Because I do photography, and I want a true 8-bit screen to see my photos on while I edit them. The current screens are NOT 8-bit and do a crapload of dithering to achieve true color.

These are "pro" machines.

6. jreuschl macrumors 6502

Are there any notebooks available with an IPS screen? IPS screens are only used in very high end desktop monitors (and the iPad)

7. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Pro is just a name for goodness sake, just like Air, Mini, Nano ! Don't interpret it your own way. I'm a photojournalist too, I've been one for 6 years. If you want your real colors get yourself a display calibrator.

You take photographs to show other people and a MBP will not be one where you'll be hosting slideshows on. Your achievement of true colors will only remain with you, it won't go any further because 99 out of 100 people around the world won't see the final colors that you want on your photographs on their uncalibrated displays anyways, so you have nothing to lose. For a photographer, the final result is how truly colors are rendered on a physical print.

No MBPs yet have had IPS displays and that didn't stop from good photographs from being created.

8. highscheme macrumors regular

high five for circular logic

9. puma1552 macrumors 601

Stop making excuses for Apple for not putting in IPS.

Why do we want it? It's obvious. Because it's a better technology, what more reason does anyone need?

Great photos were produced with crappy CCFL/CRT tubes too, why on earth would we want LED?:rolleyes:

10. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I assume these are just like the previous batch, the 13 is 6-bit and the 15-17 are 8-bit.

11. SecretAsianMan macrumors member

Just FYI, people.

The HP EliteBook 8740w I ordered comes with a 10-bit IPS panel and a pro video card based on the ATI 5870, with 1GB GDDR5.

12. Leon575 macrumors member

Leon575

Not only wide angle viewing. Excellent color consistency and reproduction too.
    IPS is really preferable for photographers and designers.

13. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Congrats.

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The graphics are all around the biggest joke in the Mac computing world. 256 MB of VRAM and a 330 graphics card in a 15" MacBook "PRO." And the display is where Apple should shine especially if it's taking these Mac notebooks to the next level. What a POS this update is... not worth a three month wait let alone a 10.5 month wait!

This is sick. Apple just told its Mac users to go F&CK themselves if they aren't happy about switching their computing over to an iPad. The MBP is honestly a joke. If it weren't for the 17" MBP there would be zero hope. As it is, Apple has moved on to a consumer electronics company. Dropped OS X 10.7 development so everyone could focus on their worthless iPad.

15. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

FOR MY EYES. Period!

16. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

And IPS costs much more dough than current displays. If Apple raised prices you guys would go nuts anyway, so this works both ways. :D

If you had your own computer company, you too would want to make as much profit as you were making before if not more. They lowered prices for higher config models by upto $200, just give them a break already.

Really, how many consumer notebooks on the market has IPS ?

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

Agreed, I was interested to hear your thoughts. My late-'08 2.8 CTO with a 512 and NO Intel graphics and an Expresscard sure seems like I made a hell of a good buy. Hell it's STILL not that far off the brand new ones in performance.

18. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Buy an iPad. Buy an iMac. They have IPS. For your eyes.

19. puma1552 macrumors 601

Cost is irrelevant. 21.5" iMacs have big-ass IPS panels and still only cost $1200.

Cinema Displays
    iMacs
    iPads

All IPS, iPhone/iPod are too small and not important enough to bother with I would imagine (probably just go OLED someday), so the portables are the odd ones out, at least til 2011.

20. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

First CRTs produced every bit of color that 8 bit IPS panels do. Second LED and CCFL are just the backlight.

uh, No. All macbook pros use 6 bit TN panels, and IPS panels are 8 bit.

This is actually the biggest advantage to any 8 bit panel such as IPS or PVA.

21. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Obviously you do not understand the comment. The higher contrast of IPS displays, reduces eye strain during long periods of use.

22. SimD macrumors regular

Apple has been promoting the Macbook Pro as a Professional laptop, hence the nomenclature.

When a company is regarded as the leader in the photography and design industry, an industry that has used OS X for the longest time, we, the professionals should AT LEAST expect them to follow through on their claims.

IPS is a standard in the industry. NO photographer/designer worth his salt uses anything other than IPS. It's a fact. Which is why we assume the "Pro" laptops we are using should have it. I mean, even e-IPS is better than nothing...

I know what you will say now. They have Cinema Displays and iMacs.. well that's not good enough. In the field, I NEED to know that I am getting the best shot out there. When you are shooting with cameras capable of capturing a dozen stops of dynamic range, you need a monitor that can handle it, and that monitor needs IPS.

This is a kick in the nuts to all working photographers, graphic designers and to a certain extent, filmmakers...

23. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I agree with Gorilla Power. I wanted IPS too, but at the end of the day it isn't a big deal. If you want IPS get an iMac, it's more powerful and bigger as well.

24. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from. How do you know these aren't 8-bit?

25. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

The hell it isn't. Desktop computer parts are much cheaper than mobile counterparts. I admit it would have been nice if Apple provided an option in their BTO but I'm not going to miss it in any way.