No laptop should have less than 3 USB ports

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
i agree, a mouse, a keyboard and an External HDD is pretty much what i need, anything more is obviously better if you want to charge your phone or something.

2 USB ports is definitely too little.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
i agree, a mouse, a keyboard and an External HDD is pretty much what i need, anything more is obviously better if you want to charge your phone or something.

Setting up with a mouse, keyboard, and external HDD sounds like it would be at your desk at home or work. Why not just get a USB hub in that case? It would actually mean less work to 'dock' your Macbook at your desk.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Setting up with a mouse, keyboard, and external HDD sounds like it would be at your desk at home or work. Why not just get a USB hub in that case? It would actually mean less work to 'dock' your Macbook at your desk.
yeah I only see the need for 2 usb on the go.

get home or office, get a proper tb dock, just plug that one cable

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
I only need one USB to sync the camera, don't load up my laptop with any more stinking USB ports because dinosaurs can't get over it. Bluetooth and wireless is the only way to go. :rolleyes:

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I've never found a need for more than two USB ports. Never really need more than that between the printer, some external HDDs, iPhone, iPod, and camera.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So many badly spec'ed laptops nowadays...
You made a statement. You should back it up with your reasoning as to why you feel that way. Two USB ports seem fine to me.

As others have pointed out, if it's for plugging in devices when at home, a hub is a good way to go.

c1phr

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
I only need one port for my 10-Port hub...

I don't even need 10 ports either, but it cost almost the same as the 4 ports on Amazon, and I never know when I need to have all my flash drives plugged in at once.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Get a Apple Keyboard, it has two extra USB ports on it. And it supports high power USB so you can plug virtually anything into it. Hell, I plug my iPad into it to charge and it provides nearly the same current to it as if I plugged it straight into the computer (I say nearly because the USB spec allows for 2A @ 5V, and the iPad would use all of that except the keyboard uses 0.05A, so nearly the same)

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
Agreed, 3 USB should have been supplied, but what would be more useful is a thunderbolt to USB 3 adaptor, currently I will have two highly useful ports doing nothing until this is rectified.

that1guyy

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2011
Love how some of these apple sheep dismiss anything critical of their macs and believe less is more when every other 15inch computer gives three usb ports. How is that obsolete? Damn sheep.

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
Love how some of these apple sheep dismiss anything critical of their macs and believe less is more when every other 15inch computer gives three usb ports. How is that obsolete? Damn sheep.
well then you can tell us where should you put another usb3.0 port on this layout?

sure everybody can simply said i want x-usb ports on my machine, but it too depends largely on design considerations.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Definitely needs 3 USB ports.

Yeah at home I can be flexible, but in the field I can't go around pairing devices together or if I'm in an environment that forbids using wireless? I need USB ports. I've already migrated to a lot of Thunderbolt devices to minimize using USB ports, but it's better safe than sorry.

ok mr genius, so tell me where should you put another usb3.0 port on this layout?

sure everybody can simply said i want x-usb ports on my machine, but it too depends largely on design considerations.
Take out the SD card reader and you'll have space for USB ports. If you need to read SD cards, use an adapter and you'll still have 3 ports left!

That said, I'm pretty sure Apple is smart enough!

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia

Yeah at home I can be flexible, but in the field I can't go around pairing devices together or if I'm in an environment that forbids using wireless? I need USB ports. I've already migrated to a lot of Thunderbolt devices to minimize using USB ports, but it's better safe than sorry.

Take out the SD card reader and you'll have space for USB ports. If you need to read SD cards, use an adapter and you'll still have 3 ports left!

or just keep the SD card and get a compact two-port usb hub? :rolleyes:

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008

I need an SD card slot way more than 3 USB slots for my photography. Love how most posters in MacRumors assume their needs are what everyone needs.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
People buy the things that they buy because they like it, no? They believe that the thing they're spending their money on will do the job they want it to do. So, when people defend an Apple product, it has nothing to do with the brand but everything to do with the fact that they bought the machine because it fits their needs.

Also, I don't think anyone said that less is more. They simply stated that they're perfectly happy with less because they have no need for more.

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
2 works fine for me. Only a couple times in the past year have I needed more. Not a big deal, I just waited for my phone to sync or whatever, then unplugged it, and plugged another drive in. I survived.

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

I can get by with 2, however on my MBP the most annoying thing is they are side by side, and USB sticks don't fit properly.

Mouse/keyboard can either be bluetooth or use a single port (i.e. mouse hangs of keyboard), but the fact that the USB stick won't fit in the remaining port is annoying.

Some of them draw too much power to hang off the other keyboard port.

If I wasn't such a stingy bastard, I'd buy a thunderbolt dock and be done with it....

Or even a cheap USB hub.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld

Why would be using an adapter and we will still have 3 ports left?

It's just like if you need more than 2 USB ports then get a hub and you still have the SD slot left!