No laptop should have less than 3 USB ports

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
I can get by with 2, however on my MBP the most annoying thing is they are side by side, and USB sticks don't fit properly.

Mouse/keyboard can either be bluetooth or use a single port (i.e. mouse hangs of keyboard), but the fact that the USB stick won't fit in the remaining port is annoying.
This. This drives me insane. Unless all your peripherals use those skinny apple USB ports, you might as well have only one USB port. And I strongly prefer to select my electronics purchases based on factors other than the svelte ness of their connectors, FFS.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
This. This drives me insane. Unless all your peripherals use those skinny apple USB ports, you might as well have only one USB port. And I strongly prefer to select my electronics purchases based on factors other than the svelte ness of their connectors, FFS.
On the retina models the USB ports are on opposite sides of the laptop.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I heartily concur. Two USB ports is perfect, but they need to be spaced so two normal thumb drives can fit simultaneously.

If I need more than 2 USB ports, I will get a hub. Just like if I ever need an optical drive, I'll get an external one.

On the topic of connectivity, I do wish the HDMI would support full resolution, but that's a software issue.

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2012
If I use a synthesiser and an external soundcard, then I'm out of UBS ports. They can't be connected to a UBS hub due to bandwidth.

A Macbook Pro should be called a Macbook Consumer :p

UBS28

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2012
I have an external soundcard hooked up via usb hub as I type...
Sounds like a really good idea having an external harddrive + soundcard on the same UBS port as both of these devices can max out a UBS port by themselves for example.

ColdCase

macrumors 68030
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Sounds like a really good idea having an external harddrive + soundcard on the same UBS port as both of these devices can max out a UBS port by themselves for example.
USB3? Sounds like you need to start thinking about taking advantage of the thunderbolt ports... ;)

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
USB3? Sounds like you need to start thinking about taking advantage of the thunderbolt ports... ;)
Right, because thunderbolt peripherals are so plentiful and competitively priced?

Besides which, since hubs don't exist and most existing TB peripherals don't properly support daisy-chaining, you run into the not enough ports problem again just as quickly, if not more so.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
A Macbook Pro should be called a Macbook Consumer :p
I totally agree. I mean, professionalism is directly proportional to the amount of USB devices connected at the same time, right? For instance any $400 laptop is, like, clearly a much more professional piece of hardware than a powerful and portable rMBP, if it has that one defining USB port, right?

I've had like SIX devices connected to my desktop computer simultaneously, so if three devices already make it a professional system, then I'm like a DOUBLE professional when I use that computer.

But I'm certainly not a pro when using my non-pro laptop to do my work, as I don't even really use USB devices with it. Only occasionally I'll have to copy some files to an external HDD, but other than that I just use the built in SD reader, a NAS on a wireless network and a Bluetooth mouse.

Maybe the fact that I'm so unprofessional that I use a clearly consumer grade laptop to do my work is offset by the double professionalism bonus i get from my desktop system?

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
The people that act like wise asses and say you might as well have serial ports or bring back the floppy drive or use external drives and devices should just be quiet. rMBP is a waste of money you are basically paying for the high resolution screen! It would have been wise for Apple to have added a third USB port, wireless and external devices are not always so reliable.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
The people that act like wise asses and say you might as well have serial ports or bring back the floppy drive or use external drives and devices should just be quiet. rMBP is a waste of money you are basically paying for the high resolution screen! It would have been wise for Apple to have added a third USB port, wireless and external devices are not always so reliable.
USB devices are external devices.

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
I would change both of my useless Thunderbolt ports to an USB 3.0 (or even 2.0) without thinking twice.
That. I would much rather have 1Thunderbolt port and 3 USBs. But I suppose I'm being shortsighted. I suppose in the future I'm going to want 4 Thunderbolt ports. It's just for now I have no use for it. And I'm aware that there are people that use it for monitors and external HDs. There should be a port configuration option upon purchase. "I'll take 3 USBs and 1 Thunderbolt please"

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
That. I would much rather have 1Thunderbolt port and 3 USBs. But I suppose I'm being shortsighted. I suppose in the future I'm going to want 4 Thunderbolt ports. It's just for now I have no use for it. And I'm aware that there are people that use it for monitors and external HDs. There should be a port configuration option upon purchase. "I'll take 3 USBs and 1 Thunderbolt please"
thunderbolt devices are daisy chained. if they have a TB stack it is almost certain that it will come with another TB port that you can connect your display as the "end of chain".

it might be because lack of space for them to use TB instead of USB..

just my opinion thought :D

lbhskier37

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
The whining about some oddball configurations on this forum is getting old. People act as if they are personally offended that apple doesn't provide the exact configuration they want. If it isn't an Ethernet port, then it's USB ports, or a dGPU on a 13", or a blueray drive, or 17" display. Do you people have a narcissistic personality disorder or something? Why do you feel so entitled to YOUR perfect configuration. It is what it is. 90% of actual potential customers could care less about most of the things people ask for in here. It's getting really sickening and takes away from this forum. This forum should focus on actual questions and/or problems people are having with their MBPs not all this stupid narcissistic whining about why can't Apple please ME. Boo hoo! Go cry somewhere else.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
well then you can tell us where should you put another usb3.0 port on this layout?

sure everybody can simply said i want x-usb ports on my machine, but it too depends largely on design considerations.
Easy remove the dormant thunderbolt plugs down to one, and voila room for third USB3

Sent from my iPhone using 100Mbit HFC Internet.

Crzyrio

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
In all honesty I would be happy with 1 usb port for my USB stick.

My workspace at home contains Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, I do not like wires running everywhere.

Sym0

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2013
and everybody also thinks thunderbolt ports are always dormant.
thats right :rolleyes:
Might as well be, can plug anything meaningful in there for less than $300

Sent from my iPhone using 100Mbit HFC Internet.

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
rMBP is a waste of money you are basically paying for the high resolution screen!
Exactly, that is the most important reason this laptop is so attractive to many users. Yes, you get what you pay for, and you pay for what you need.

If you don't need/want an IPS screen with good color reproduction, then it might be a waste of money. If you happen to need one, then it's not.

There aren't that many options if you need a laptop with a high-res IPS screen that covers the whole sRGB space. Yes, there are at least some, like the W530 and some EliteBooks, but they are priced at equal level, or even higher. Oh, but hey, they have that extra USB port, so they must be, like, a whole lot more professional than the rMBP. They also weigh a whole lot more, and have shorter battery life with the stock battery, but hey, that extra USB port is, like, totally worth it for every possible professional usage case, right? And everybody needs that ODD too, because all of us professionals professionally read and write CD's all the time. 'Cause that's just what all professionals do, they connect peripherals and swap CD's in and out the ODD, all the time, everywhere, all day long, right? And those memory modules, man, of course all professionals swap them too, like, eight times a day. They wouldn't be professionals if they didn't.

I don't get it, why do some people have really hard time realizing, that individual needs vary quite a lot from one individual to another. That's why there are different products on the market. Saying for instance, that the rMBP is a bad product and the people purchasing it are sheep just because it lacks one USB port compared to some other laptop, is like saying, that a five seat car is a bad product, because you can't fit eight people in it. Silly. Horses for courses.

skaertus

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I don't think a high resolution screen is a waste of money. I keep looking at the screen all the time, I want it to look good!