No Mac for you!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibenick, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ibenick macrumors newbie

So I just returned from a venture to the Apple Store at The Gateway in Salt Lake City. My intention was to purchase a 24" iMac 3.06Ghz and a new iPod Touch. The store was no busier than I had seen it in the past, I told the guy working the front door that I would like to buy a Mac. He referred me to a girl with a clipboard who told me flat out that I couldn't buy a Mac tonight. She said that I needed to setup a Personal Shopping appointment and come back another day. I explained to her that I knew exactly what I wanted and that I didn't need the Personal Shopping appointment, that I just wanted someone to ring me up but once again I was shut down. Her best offer was to put me on a list but she said they probably couldn't get to me.

So Apple has come to this? A customer with $2600 ready to spend is refused business? Has anyone else run into this?

****UPDATE: Went back to the Apple Store the next day, check the bottom of page 2 of this thread for details.

2. Garemz macrumors regular

That's Bull!!! They really have to rethink their business model.

3. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

they've always been more than happy to take my money at my local Apple Store. If I was presented with such a scenario, I'd likely take my business either online or to a local Best Buy (since they seem to carry pretty much everything Apple has available these days)

4. ibenick thread starter macrumors newbie

I will probably end up doing it online. It just seems inconceivable of them to turn me away. Plus I really would rather not have to wait for it to ship :mad:

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

That is ridiculous. You should of asked to speak to a manager or call Apple and lodge a complaint.

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

7. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Yup, that is unacceptable... Complain!

8. ibenick thread starter macrumors newbie

Bianca.

I suppose I should have asked for the manager. I guess I was just in shock. There were three employees that witnessed the exchange though. (Including the one that told me no mac)

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Wow, that's just pathetic she wouldn't run to the back room, get an iMac and an iPod, and take 5 minutes to ring you up.

I would have been pissed and asked for a manger.

10. archesdevil macrumors 6502

archesdevil

I would email your complaint to the Apple Store manager, Apple customer care, and Steve himself. Let us know what if you hear from them.

11. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd fire off an email to Apple, giving them the name of the Apple store, the employee's name, etc.

Actually, I'd only do that after walking into the store again and asking for the manager.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Or go back, set up the appointment with the clipboard nazi -- and complain about a horrible shopping experience in the after purchase survey.

As people said, this will get you a return phone call...

14. ibenick thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone happen to know where I might find email addresses for the local Apple Store and/or Apple Customer Care? I guess I could just use the phone but......

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I would call 1-800-MY-APPLE. You will get better result if you talk to someone probably and they might give you something for your trouble.

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Was she cute? If so, tell her she owes you a date - and she has to pay.

17. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Hell, I would try and use this experience to get at least some sort of a discount on your purchase, if you haven't placed the order already. Still, that's one of the craziest things I've ever heard.

18. LinMac macrumors 65816

I would definitely email sjobs over that. These types of situations are typically resolved very quickly and you might even get a token freebie for your trouble.

Remember that you are paying for the better customer service by paying for an Apple computer so don't hesitate to bitch and complain until you're happy with the results.

I certainly don't hold back. :D

19. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Someone is nursing a blue ball or two.

20. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hey.:) Maybe it was just luck. Imagine if you were being persistent to buy it that same day and when you are getting into your car you get robbed. I have been reading various thread's with that situation so I really recommend buying online. Congrats on your future purchase. :apple:

Edit: This is the thread I was talking about.

21. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

... I've never heard of this. That's just silly.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

23. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

Apple Stores can be odd. During the Tax-Free Holiday weekend in GA, I wanted to go in to the Apple Store just to look at some software and they would not let me in the store. I had to wait in line for a personal assistant and state what I intended to purchase beforehand.

Now, the store was crowded but here's the catch. In GA there is no tax relief on computers over $999 and last time I checked the Mini is the only computer in that store under that price.

I've purchased 3 Macs in the last two years and never had an issue but when I go to buy a new MPB (god willing next month) I'll be ready if they pull this stunt.

PS. When I bought my MBP in January '07, I had complained that one of the associates (a geeky young kid) was talking down to me about a question I had asked (I was a recent convert at the time) and the Manager profusely apologized and gave me an extra power adapter at no charge so they do seem to care.

24. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Agree. I had an issue with Xbox Live and couldn't get any results (reading from scripts). I e-mail corrporate and received a response within 24 hours (probably sooner if I had of done it in the morning). By the time things get to their level they take it seriously.

25. LowEnder macrumors member

Definitely complain! If you have a nearby Apple Authorized Reseller, please patronize them: they need the business!